Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand up

Some critical assessments by Handup and everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to call the subs "absolutely atrocious " IMO is harsh to say the least.  This is a squad of players who are giving "COMMITMENT to Antrim Hurling something that the past "stars" lacked.  Shouldn't criticise players for not doing well against the AI Champions "trying" and emptying the tank is what seemed to be the case and you can't ask for anything more. IMO

I was telling it as I saw it and had said in my initial post that some lads were pleasing in areas of the game. My comment on the subs was on the performances of Maol Connelly and Deaghlan Murphy, neither will ever be County stars, although  Maol will perhaps upset a good hurler.
I hope Graffin looks after himself this year, which is what I'm hearing is his plan. Sambo was at Martin Burke door looking him back!!

MoChara

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on February 01, 2017, 07:14:50 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 01, 2017, 06:42:50 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on February 01, 2017, 04:44:58 PM
Graffin back soon?

Don't think so maybe some of the dall posters know more but I heard his legs are at him and he is giving the county a miss
He's been out a while and fitness is a big focus with current management
Serious operater all the same
He's still in Australia

Is he hurling out there?

bogieman

Why so many negative posts about the belfast tipp festival weekend... It seems to be getting used to have cheap swipes at your own county.

Antrim are not at the level to competitively battle with the top hurling teams, so drop the romantic notions of this and get serious supporting and improving your county.

Thanks to tipp for the weekend and a great challenge match, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

PS I heard at the match that Antrim beat Kilkenny in the 40's in corrigan park
PSS well done St. John's for hosting
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bogieman on February 04, 2017, 12:43:33 PM
Why so many negative posts about the belfast tipp festival weekend... It seems to be getting used to have cheap swipes at your own county.

Antrim are not at the level to competitively battle with the top hurling teams, so drop the romantic notions of this and get serious supporting and improving your county.

Thanks to tipp for the weekend and a great challenge match, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Was there an over 40's game??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hurlingstick

A lot of games are going to Corrigan while there are many better grounds with better facilities. I think we should question the reasons for that. I also think the All Ireland Champions should be treated with greater respect. They travelled all the way up here the least we can do is provide them with the very best facilities we can offer.

Saffrongael

I see the Feile crowd & Promote West Belfast where official partners in Antrim v Tipp weekend

Can't think why they are taking such an interest in Gaa this last few months  :-X

#getCasementbuilt  ;)
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hurlingstick on February 04, 2017, 03:01:55 PM

A lot of games are going to Corrigan while there are many better grounds with better facilities. I think we should question the reasons for that. I also think the All Ireland Champions should be treated with greater respect. They travelled all the way up here the least we can do is provide them with the very best facilities we can offer.

They never complained seems they had a wonderful experience
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 04, 2017, 05:27:15 PM
Quote from: hurlingstick on February 04, 2017, 03:01:55 PM

They never complained seems they had a wonderful experience

Maybe I am wrong in saying this but was it not a weekend to commemorate the life of Fr Alec Reid? Why would it leave the city? Of course there is better ground and facilities than Corrigan but they did a super job from what I can hear.

NAG1

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 04, 2017, 04:03:21 PM
I see the Feile crowd & Promote West Belfast where official partners in Antrim v Tipp weekend

Can't think why they are taking such an interest in Gaa this last few months  :-X

#getCasementbuilt  ;)

This has been my bug bear about the whole process to date, why are they even involved never mind taking the lead in parts of it. Ask yourself.

Bogieman, read back and you will see my issues with the weekend, not swiping at the my own county.

btdtgtt

I'm honestly completely dismayed at the comments regarding the recent visit of Tipperary.
Lets be quite clear here (as someone who is often critical of our county administration).

1) This visit was resounding success. A lower level hurling county like ourselves come a long way to visit and spend time here with our own young Gaels would have been cherished in any other similar county. There was nothing negative about that weekend whatsoever.

2) The sue of Corrigan for the game was a no-brainer. The origin of the weekend was the link with Fr Reid and Corrigan is the closest venue to Clonard Monastry. Remember the visit would not have  happened without the Redemptorist link. If the inference is that the game should have been played in North Antrim I can assure you Tipperary had no desire to put more miles on the clock after the various events they had participated in around the area - many on behalf of their own county link.
The game had no reason to be played anywhere else - God forbid some Glensmen might have to come to Belfast to see the All-Ireland Champions - blame Fr Reid.

3) Criticising Corrigan's facilities is really a strange one. Many clubs in Tipperary would be glad of them. I'm not sure that you think the Tipp lads normally train in venues with gold plated toilet seats? This is the GAA, catch yourselves on - the venue was fine. Anyone who was there couldn't complain.

4) The involvement of the West Belfast Festival and Partnership has also been mentioned. Quite simply they helped finance the visit. Their representitives were therefore most welcome - as any sponsor would be.

I really find it incredulous that this weekend and visit was subject to any criticism.
We're a lesser hurling county who had the all-Ireland champions come along way to train and engage with our young Gaels, and play a game against us in our back yard. All at minimal cost to ourselves. I mean if people here can see that as a massive success then I really think you need to look in the mirror and ask questions of yourself before anything else. Would there be anything that would make you happy?

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 06, 2017, 09:38:48 AM
I'm honestly completely dismayed at the comments regarding the recent visit of Tipperary.
Lets be quite clear here (as someone who is often critical of our county administration).

1) This visit was resounding success. A lower level hurling county like ourselves come a long way to visit and spend time here with our own young Gaels would have been cherished in any other similar county. There was nothing negative about that weekend whatsoever.

2) The sue of Corrigan for the game was a no-brainer. The origin of the weekend was the link with Fr Reid and Corrigan is the closest venue to Clonard Monastry. Remember the visit would not have  happened without the Redemptorist link. If the inference is that the game should have been played in North Antrim I can assure you Tipperary had no desire to put more miles on the clock after the various events they had participated in around the area - many on behalf of their own county link.
The game had no reason to be played anywhere else - God forbid some Glensmen might have to come to Belfast to see the All-Ireland Champions - blame Fr Reid.

3) Criticising Corrigan's facilities is really a strange one. Many clubs in Tipperary would be glad of them. I'm not sure that you think the Tipp lads normally train in venues with gold plated toilet seats? This is the GAA, catch yourselves on - the venue was fine. Anyone who was there couldn't complain.

4) The involvement of the West Belfast Festival and Partnership has also been mentioned. Quite simply they helped finance the visit. Their representitives were therefore most welcome - as any sponsor would be.

I really find it incredulous that this weekend and visit was subject to any criticism.
We're a lesser hurling county who had the all-Ireland champions come along way to train and engage with our young Gaels, and play a game against us in our back yard. All at minimal cost to ourselves. I mean if people here can see that as a massive success then I really think you need to look in the mirror and ask questions of yourself before anything else. Would there be anything that would make you happy?

What questions would you like me to ask?

I have never once said that the impact on the kids was the most important part of the weekend for me.

My point is simply that it got dressed up into some big thing when it was a friendly. Point being that it was not that long ago that we had these teams coming up every spring and we were 'competing' with them, it was more of a lament on my part now (as I said) that we are no longer in the position and that we are reduced to hosting them in a dressed up friendly. I respect them as All Ireland champs, but I do not go in for this 'fan boy' attitude. I would rather we got our house in order and were meeting them as equals.

No qualms with Corrigan or St John's.

I have long has a serious issue with 'Feile' being involved so heavily in the Casement project and this is another way that they are accessing our inner decision making structures. Who is running the show, county board or felie?

north_antrim_hound

I see corrigan is getting the London game in the league
Have Ballycastle lost their county temporary grounds status
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on February 06, 2017, 09:56:29 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on February 06, 2017, 09:38:48 AM

What questions would you like me to ask?
If I was so negative about such a positive weekend - I'd question myself as to why. Why the need?

I have never once said that the impact on the kids was the most important part of the weekend for me.

My point is simply that it got dressed up into some big thing when it was a friendly. That's your opinion. Anyone I spoke to at the game was very much aware it was just a friendly. In fact for most the emphasis was on kids meeting the Tipp team - not the game at all. Point being that it was not that long ago that we had these teams coming up every spring and we were 'competing' with them, it was more of a lament on my part now (as I said) that we are no longer in the position and that we are reduced to hosting them in a dressed up friendly. That ship has long since sailed - you may as well lament for cheap cigarettes and alcohol. I respect them as All Ireland champs, but I do not go in for this 'fan boy' attitude.If you can't be a fan of the all-Ireland champions the I'd be asking myself who can be? Nobody put up statues of them - but it was fantastic for kids to meet them. I would rather we got our house in order and were meeting them as equals. Grand, but that's a separate point tot he fact that it was a great weekend.

No qualms with Corrigan or St John's.

I have long has a serious issue with 'Feile' being involved so heavily in the Casement project and this is another way that they are accessing our inner decision making structures. Who is running the show, county board or felie?

I've long commented that GAA affairs should be free from outside influence, be it Feile or political parties. The Feile lads were sponsors, so they were involved. They didn't access any structures of make any decisions. I've no idea why you think they did. If it was say Creagh Concrete that put money in - would you not expect to see them there too? Trust me I want quangos and politics nowhere near our structures or the new Casement - but that's not what this weekend was about.

It was a great weekend.
We'd the all-Ireland champions in our home patch for a game and to meet kids.
Just enjoy it for heavens sake.

NAG1

I said this was my opinion in my initial posts on the subject and they are still my opinions.

I respect your opinions to think that it was a great weekend and for the kids yes it was. And my views are similar along those lines.
We can agree to disagree on the other aspects of the weekend, as this is a forum of opinions.

However I will take exception with the Felie element, I think you/ we are being totally naive to believe that a special interest group would get involved in an exercise like this for anything other than serving their own agenda. I'm not saying that this was purpose behind the weekend but it is a drip feed approach toward an end game. 

Jesusjones

The London game is in Corrigan and I've heard Kildare and Westmeath are coming to Cushendall.