Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Yeah on May 23, 2012, 12:25:04 PM
I think you would be kidding yourself not admit that mcmanus is struggling. What other centre backs in ireland run into dark alleys with the ball? A no.6 is the conductor of play who sits and holds and sets attacks. Not one trys to attack at every opportunity leaving the rest of the defence susceptible scores. Thats why its a pity hippy is out hes the better option.

Hippy has got faster of late, but would still think that Neill is a fitter player that Hippy. I hope your right though of Neill and come championship against us he's crap :o. Though I doubt this very much........ unfortunately >:(

I agree sometimes the big players do try it all on their own, being the best player at a club during juvenile means players try to do it all on their own, very hard to break that habit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Catch-take four steps-move the ball on.  Simples!

Yeah

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on May 23, 2012, 02:06:23 PM
Catch-take four steps-move the ball on.  Simples!

Absolutely, our U21s where the prime example of fast moving hurling!
Gods Country= Glenshesk, North Antrim!!

CitySlicker11

Neil McManus at the moment is still our best option for CHB, but having said that he definitely still requires some one to one coaching in this area. Watching some of the best CHB's at the moment no doubt Neil could emulate them, but he just needs to adopt his game to being slightly more defensive. Hippy should remain at FB when fit and available.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on May 23, 2012, 02:35:48 PM
Neil McManus at the moment is still our best option for CHB, but having said that he definitely still requires some one to one coaching in this area. Watching some of the best CHB's at the moment no doubt Neil could emulate them, but he just needs to adopt his game to being slightly more defensive. Hippy should remain at FB when fit and available.

correct on all points, mr2 is right to maybe a force of habit form earlier years. we are picking holes in our best player but if hes is winning ball and not putting it in fast and direct maybe he hasn't any confidence in our forwards or maybe hes being a tad greedy. but your observations have some credence
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

imtommygunn

To be fair to the fella I think he has been polluted by being played in midfield and forwards all the time. It's rare he even plays the position for cushendall.

We have a habit of doing this a la Gary O'Kane. I think he could be as good a CHB as is about if given a consistent period of time to play there as I believe this is his position.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2012, 03:29:54 PM
To be fair to the fella I think he has been polluted by being played in midfield and forwards all the time. It's rare he even plays the position for cushendall.

We have a habit of doing this a la Gary O'Kane. I think he could be as good a CHB as is about if given a consistent period of time to play there as I believe this is his position.
Himself, Scully and James Campbell would be as good a half back line you'd get on the county team. Pity it won't happen though.  :-\

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

imtommygunn

Neil McAuley is possibly the best half back in the county so would be harsh not to have him there but yes would have been good to see Scullion in there. Campbell has a few years ahead of him yet to get in there too but maybe a bit early yet.

NAG1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 23, 2012, 03:35:39 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2012, 03:29:54 PM

Himself, Scully and James Campbell would be as good a half back line you'd get on the county team. Pity it won't happen though.  :-\

SIE its getting a bit ridiculous now, MS is well past the level needed for inter county, club hurling is one thing county hurling is another level.

You telling me that either of those two are better than NMcA for one? Time for the red tinted specs to come off.

CitySlicker11

Have to disagree with you there SIE. Yes in a Loughgiel shirt over the last number of years Martin Scullion has been excellent and one of their most consistent performers, however, what is holding him back from turning out for the county, commitment? If this is the case, then as has been said on here before, he is no use to anyone. As for James Campbell, he's still got youth on his side, but is in no way near the same quality of player as Neil McAuley. Did you mean to say his older brother Johnny?

Minder

Glenariffe v Rossa postponed on Sunday due to a death in Glenariffe.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Jesusjones

Lads this forum is going completely crazy if we are going to start complaining about Neil Mc Manus's contribution to the team. He has been Antrim's best hurler over the past 5 years or so. I wouldn't like to single players out after such a depressing result but there are only 4 or 5 hurlers on the entire panel who deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Neil Mc Manus.

Yeah

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 23, 2012, 02:46:52 PM

correct on all points, mr2 is right to maybe a force of habit form earlier years. we are picking holes in our best player but if hes is winning ball and not putting it in fast and direct maybe he hasn't any confidence in our forwards or maybe hes being a tad greedy. but your observations have some credence

McManus is far from the best player in the county. Forgot about McAuley, serious hurler, would probably have him in no.6, hippy behind him and id put mattie donnelly in on the wing at no.7 and big Carson at no.5. Thats as good as a half back line you'd find anywhere. Personally id give McManus a rest for a few weeks and try and let him get a bit of form back.
Gods Country= Glenshesk, North Antrim!!

imtommygunn

He's one of the best we've ever had in my view never mind one of the best at the minute. He is at times a victim of his own versatility but as good as any around in almost any position.

Carson too slow for no. 5 and McAuley probably too small for 6.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Yeah on May 23, 2012, 04:48:45 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 23, 2012, 02:46:52 PM

McManus is far from the best player in the county. Forgot about McAuley, serious hurler, would probably have him in no.6, hippy behind him and id put mattie donnelly in on the wing at no.7 and big Carson at no.5. Thats as good as a half back line you'd find anywhere. Personally id give McManus a rest for a few weeks and try and let him get a bit of form back.
He has scored 3-4 & 0-9 in the past few weeks so he is badly out of form :o
You are clueless.