Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Inter annihilated that Bayern team having scraped past a Barca team that had to travel to Milan and back via bus. United wouldnt have had a hope that year.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 30, 2019, 12:06:53 PM
Quote from: mouview on August 30, 2019, 11:26:18 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 30, 2019, 09:55:30 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 30, 2019, 09:04:01 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 30, 2019, 01:50:00 AM
Eric was the reason Utd won leagues, he was was also the reason why Utd were shite in Europe.

That's a commonly held untruth, probably due to Dunphy slating him at every opportunity. The reason United were "shite" in Europe in those days was because they couldn't field their full team. They had to put youth team players into their team due to restrictions that restricted the use of non English players. Cantona played in 3 European Cup campaigns. He played 16 games and scored 5 goals in a weakened team. One of those seasons (his last) United were pretty unlucky to lose a semi final to the eventual winners Dortmund - incidentally he told Ferguson he was retiring the day afterwards.

When I think about the lack of European Cups United have for a club their size this stupid rule and the air disaster come to mind. I've no doubt the club would have 2 or 3 more at least but for those two things.

I think Ferguson also contributed in the early days. He tried to out-think himself sometimes in European games instead of letting his lads off the leash. I think Liverpool in the 80s may have influenced him whereby they set out to kill the away leg and win at Anfield. But they had players that could do that. United were rawer at that stage and probably just needed to be let loose.

As for the foreigner rule, every club had to adhere to that, including the Italians, Spanish and Germans, so it was a level playing field. If they were allowed play foreigners who knows what they'd have won also.

Ferguson was regularly tactically found out in Europe; got a good few schoolings, not just from Barce, but from lesser teams also in how to pass and retain possession. Don't forget, he was damn lucky to win the 2 he did; Bayern outplayed them in '99, striking the post at one stage, while only for John Terry's slip and Anelka's petulance...

United were the best team and unbeaten in the 98/99 Champions League. They had to play the final without their central midfield pairing, arguably the two best central midfieders in Europe at that time, but got the goals late on to win it. Again in 2007/08 they were unbeaten in all games and I think they were the best side in the competition. Pretty misleading to say Ferguson was lucky to win two. Got to another 2 finals where they came up against one of the best club sides ever. Probably should have won more, a couple of semi final defeats where they underperformed strick in the memory. And you have to remember most of this is in the era where the competition is much harder to win, especially if you're chasing your own domestic title.

United's defeat to Barcelona the 2009 final was their first CL defeat in 25 games. (A CL undefeated record that still stands today?)

Under Fergie United had the longest undefeated home run of 29 games it was recently beaten by Barcelona who are currently 32 home games unbeaten. United's undefeated away run of 16 games is still a CL record as is the 481 minutes in 2010-11 the longest run without conceding a goal and are only team to play 6 away ties in 1 CL campaign without conceding a goal.

Aughafad

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 30, 2019, 02:34:34 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 30, 2019, 01:17:53 PM
Quote from: general on August 30, 2019, 12:55:20 PM
Group L: Man Utd, Astana, Partizan, AZ Alkmaar

Holy shit. I don't think I've heard of these teams. Partizan? as in Partizan Belgrade?

Astana capital of Kazakhstan

Nur-sultan is the capital of Kazakhstan now - astana renamed of the president

Geoff Tipps

5 points from 4 games. Enjoy the memories lads  ;D ;D

laoislad

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on August 31, 2019, 02:27:07 PM
5 points from 4 games. Enjoy the memories lads  ;D ;D
Just read on Twitter  that they have only won 3 of their last 16 games and haven't won away in the league since last February...
I actually didn't realise things were that bad for them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyCake

Ole is going to be under pressure a lot sooner than I thought.

stiffler

Surely ole will be given the season after splashing the cash in the summer.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Cunny Funt

More points dropped in the opening 4 games of the season than gained. Southampton goal came from uncleared corner and Lindelof for a 2nd game in row was beaten to a header that he should be winning. I don't recall the saints creating many other chances and they didn't need to as they held on for the last 20 minutes with 10 men.

Again the lack of players to roll up the sleeves and earn an away win weren't or simply aren't there. Its leaderless group of players United have now with a manager looking all the more frustrated on the sideline.

nrico2006

Same problems remain; conceding goals and useless in attack.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 31, 2019, 05:02:44 PM
Same problems remain; conceding goals and useless in attack.

And clueless manager.

Dubh driocht

United 7 points behind Liverpool and it's still August.  With 9 months still remaining,  if this continues there will be 70 points between the teams by May

trailer

I haven't seen the game, but it's a results based business. I expect to see Ole and thon Woodward w**ker in the job queue on Monday. I don't actually blame Ole he's inherited a team of shite-bags but Jesus this is Man Utd and they should be winning these games.

Ambrose

Went to a little village in Wales today.

LLWLLWLLLDDLWDLD

It was lovely.

#olesatthewheel
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Ambrose

The GAA boards very own, Over The Bar, was interviewed after the Southampton game. https://twitter.com/Futbol_Agent_/status/1167874756973977600
You can't live off history and tradition forever

under the bar

Another v frustrating day. Unable to build on a 1 goal lead despite long periods of domination. Brilliant goal  from young  Dan James again. Lot of players need to look in the mirror.