South Belfast North of Ireland Supporters Club

Started by T Fearon, August 10, 2009, 12:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carribbear

carribbear

Quote from: MW on August 14, 2009, 12:16:07 AM
The Northern Ireland team isn't "supposed to represent both traditions".

It's there to represent Northern Ireland.

ALL of the people or SOME of the people?

Roger

Quote from: carribbear on August 14, 2009, 12:34:31 AM
Quote from: Roger on August 14, 2009, 12:33:33 AM
Quote from: carribbear on August 14, 2009, 12:10:02 AM
the 6 county statelet team

Reality must really hurt you.

Just calling it what it is ;)
Maybe in your wee pool, big fish.  Try what the rest of planet calls it  ;D

MW

Quote from: carribbear on August 14, 2009, 12:35:49 AM

ALL of the people or SOME of the people?

Northern Ireland. That's it.

the green man

Is the Ireland rugby team there to represent two traditions, or just Ireland as a whole?

Roger

Quote from: the green man on August 14, 2009, 12:41:07 AM

Is the Ireland rugby team there to represent two traditions, or just Ireland as a whole?
Supposedlt Ireland as a whole. Does it badly though.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Dunno why ye bother lads, couldnt care less. If this team wants to play on a pitch the same colours & design as the butchers apron, let them do so, til their
hearts content. They wont change my opinion, nor will i change theirs. Let them at it, to each his own. If they want to play in green jerseys, grand! Pink, thats
ok too. Union Jack jerseys, whatever the f**k they want. As far as im concerned, the N I soccer team may as well be from Outer Mongolia. I have never seen them
in Windsor Park, or anywhere else nor have i ever watched them on TV, never have and never will.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

the green man

Quote from: Roger on August 14, 2009, 12:52:36 AM

Why the need for a second anthem then?

Roger

Quote from: the green man on August 14, 2009, 01:01:12 AM

Different and irrelevant argument / question to this thread.  It's been done many times.  Search the board and you'll get the general view from all sides and none.

carribbear

Quote from: Roger on August 14, 2009, 01:08:17 AM

Different and irrelevant argument / question to this thread.  It's been done many times.  Search the board and you'll get the general view from all sides and none.
If its for ireland they can ditch that awful 'irelands call' then and just play the real anthem only.

Roger

Quote from: carribbear on August 14, 2009, 01:19:06 AM
Quote from: Roger on August 14, 2009, 01:08:17 AM

If its for ireland they can ditch that awful 'irelands call' then and just play the real anthem only.
For once I agree.  Play the only Politcally representative anthem and play absolutely nothing and just get on with the game.  Well done Carribear, you know it makes sense  ;)

carribbear

Quote from: Roger on August 14, 2009, 01:21:52 AM
For once I agree.  Play the only Politcally representative anthem and play absolutely nothing and just get on with the game.  Well done Carribear, you know it makes sense  ;)
I'm sure they're be a little tear in your eye as you're watching the rugby lads being presented to the Irish president Gregory Campbell in 2020 with Amhrann Na Bhfiann being played in the background

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

At this stage this discussion is getting tired - still want to know why a soccer bar (not Loyalist you twat) feels the need to fly a British army flag?

As for Eyal Berkovic he was mince for Celtic as was Barnes and Wright - thats why they were given a hard time.

Btw I agree Israel should be ignored by the rest of the world until they start treating the Palestinian people like humen beings. Funny Hilter's treatment of the Jews comes to mind when looking at the way Israel treats the Palestinians.

Finally the 6 counties soccer team are about to get ripped a new arse in their group and will finish at best fourth in the group.  ;) ;D
Tbc....

stibhan

Quote from: MW on August 13, 2009, 11:27:53 PM
Quote from: stibhan on August 13, 2009, 09:16:23 PM
It's ridiculous even trying to argue with any of you. Northern Ireland is a divided state--the republic is certainly not divided to the same extent. The flags used by a vast majority of the crowd are offensive to a considerably large section of the populace within that state. If such flags are flown at Northern Ireland grounds then the institution that aids and funds that team is failing in its job to provide soccer to every section of the community. Let's look at the stated ethos of the IFA:

'"The IFA respects and values diversity. We endeavour to provide an environment which values and enables the full involvement of all people, in all aspects and at every level of Northern Ireland football, regardless of perceived cultural identity, political affiliation or religious beliefs. We believe in the philosophy of Football For All".'

'Regardless of perceived cultural identity, political affiliation or religious beliefs.' By what logic is the Northern Irish football team's fanbase anything but a monogenous culture of protestant unionism, with a few small exceptions? Surely 'diversity' would mean Irish language programmes, the Irish national flag and the Irish national anthem? If not then why should any unionist songs/flags be on show?

Cutting through all your crap, you'd basically like it if we pretended it wasn't a Northern Ireland team.

Or even better, just disappeared completely.

No, I wouldn't. I think that a balance can be struck between waving Union Jacks all over the place and playing GSTQ and/or similar republican displays of national identity. If the stated ethos of the IFA is to respect diversity then perhaps the fact that the majority of nationalists now vote for a republican party who believe in an Irish cultural identity and equal rights for a Catholic religiom. If this same party is willing to stand in a 'Northern Ireland' assembly then I see no reason why the Northern Ireland football team cannot change its stance on anthems to a neutral or 'diverse' one. It seemed to get up-to-date on the passport issue quickly enough so I see no contradiction in getting up-to-date with everything else.

T Fearon

What the fcuk has a  tricolour carried by an individual with a Celtic emblem and the words "Tiocfaidh ar La" got to do with anything? The slogan could be a reference to Celtic Football Club achieveing success on the field.

This is in no way analogous to the North of Ireland's most prominent soccer supporters club being festooned with loyalist regalia when the club members purport to be non sectarian.

Once again when behind the eight ball North of Ireland supporters clutch at straws, ie the GAA, Celtic ( a club that has done its level best to rid itself of sectarianism and be inclusive in the last 15 to 20 years), instead of addressing the problem they still have.