Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winghalfback

Any word on fixtures for all ages coming out or when the seniors championship draw will be.

Uncle Kev

Quote from: winghalfback on January 25, 2016, 01:26:59 PM
Any word on fixtures for all ages coming out or when the seniors championship draw will be.
i hear that round 1 of the championship will take place on the first weekend in May with round 2 to follow at the end of September! I am also told the draw will be done so as the same pairings from last year will not happen i.e wee bit of fixing to be done !The championship season ticket is great value at 60 GBP! Clonoe won't go out in round one this year I can assure you! If you need further info ask me kindly!

Club boi

Don't be a r0d. Let's hear your conspiracy theories??

winghalfback

Quote from: Uncle Kev on January 25, 2016, 07:22:32 PM
Quote from: winghalfback on January 25, 2016, 01:26:59 PM
i hear that round 1 of the championship will take place on the first weekend in May with round 2 to follow at the end of September! I am also told the draw will be done so as the same pairings from last year will not happen i.e wee bit of fixing to be done !The championship season ticket is great value at 60 GBP! Clonoe won't go out in round one this year I can assure you! If you need further info ask me kindly!

Kev you have me really intrigued how do you know such things I am excited by this news. Please tell me a little more .

winghalfback

Quote from: Club boi on January 25, 2016, 07:42:44 PM
Don't be a r0d. Let's hear your conspiracy theories??

Be nice and he might tell us more.

The Trap

This is a post for club only so if you want to talk about county go to that page!
How are things in your club at the minute? We have started to get back out for training and the whole thing seems very lethargic. We have had a lot of bother getting people to take teams. Our minors have started training and the numbers are so low we are worried if we will fulfil all our fixtures. At the minute there are lads with schools, Tyrone minors and under 17 development squads. Seems like club comes a poor last behind all of these.....
At adult level again I would say there is no chance of us fielding a reserve team for all games. The drop out rate over the last few years has increased dramatically. There are lots of reasons for this but I would put this down to the fun going out of club football and the lack of regular fixtures. For some games this year we could be down 4 players with our county minor and senior contingent and if this craic about lads having to be over 17 before they can play comes in that will take away another 5 or 6 that could have played reserves.
I know its only January but I have a lot of concerns about the year(s) ahead for some clubs. Tyrone won the McKenna Cup in front of 7000 people and chances are that there will be a successful season ahead for the county but as Luke Kelly very eloquently recites "For what died the sons of Roisin today" "For what suffer our patriots today" was it greed? Was it fame? For what suffer our club football today? Is it greed? Is it fame?

laceer

Quote from: The Trap on January 29, 2016, 10:46:45 AM
This is a post for club only so if you want to talk about county go to that page!
How are things in your club at the minute? We have started to get back out for training and the whole thing seems very lethargic. We have had a lot of bother getting people to take teams. Our minors have started training and the numbers are so low we are worried if we will fulfil all our fixtures. At the minute there are lads with schools, Tyrone minors and under 17 development squads. Seems like club comes a poor last behind all of these.....
At adult level again I would say there is no chance of us fielding a reserve team for all games. The drop out rate over the last few years has increased dramatically. There are lots of reasons for this but I would put this down to the fun going out of club football and the lack of regular fixtures. For some games this year we could be down 4 players with our county minor and senior contingent and if this craic about lads having to be over 17 before they can play comes in that will take away another 5 or 6 that could have played reserves.
I know its only January but I have a lot of concerns about the year(s) ahead for some clubs. Tyrone won the McKenna Cup in front of 7000 people and chances are that there will be a successful season ahead for the county but as Luke Kelly very eloquently recites "For what died the sons of Roisin today" "For what suffer our patriots today" was it greed? Was it fame? For what suffer our club football today? Is it greed? Is it fame?

Think this is already in unfortunately.

We'd be in the same boat as yourselves although have a decent crop of minors who have brought a bit of life to the club.

The county game is moving further and further away from the club game. There has to be a situation whereby club football continues regardless of county fixtures, or is given a separate season. Club players are treated like sh!t on the shoe of the GAA and county board at the moment.

redhandefender

Lad you clearly have a chip on your shoulder about the county. To say you are losing players because the fun has gone out of the game because of fixture scheduling is pushing it. You don't sound like a senior rank club that are training like county teams either. We have lost tonnes to emigration and work etc but I am yet to here someone say they are leaving because the fun has went out of it. Cheer up

tv pundit

I enjoy tyrone being successful, I am not anti county, but club football throughout ireland is suffering due to the current battle between the club's wanting to know when their next game is and the county boards rearranging things at the whim of inter county managers (either senior, minor or u 21s.)
There must be a solution where clubs can have a schedule at the start of the year which let's them know when exactly they are to play their games irregardless of what else happens around them.

As I said I the start I am a proud tyrone man who was at 4 of tyrone 5 mc kenna cup games. I also play club football and feel that the county board treat the club season as something that needs to be fitted in around the county teams quest for success. I'm not hopeful that this dilemma will be solved during my playing career though.
At least the Ulster league starts this week ☺

GlenMan

What Club are you from?

Our Minors have been training since mid-December and our Seniors/Reserves and Under 14's started in the first week of January. All going pretty well so far. Everyones seems focused and wants to achieve this year.

redzone

Quote from: GlenMan on January 29, 2016, 05:44:45 PM

What Club are you from?

Our Minors have been training since mid-December and our Seniors/Reserves and Under 14's started in the first week of January. All going pretty well so far. Everyones seems focused and wants to achieve this year.

Come on trap surely it's not all gloom and doom. Let's take the positives. Next year or 2 u will have a real young senior team so that something. Yous have 4 players on the senior and minor teams, that's some achievement for a club that seems to be struggling player wise. Yous must be doing something right. It's imperative that's these county panelists are involved in underage coaching as well as ure seniors. All the sucessful clubs have this model. They are the role models within the club. Every club will go through tough periods and it is important that Yous stick together and pull out of it. Get down to Omagh this Sunday and treat ureself and ure better half to a grt day out

Redhand Santa

There is no perfect solution to the club county debate. Given the way the inter county season is structured it's very difficult to organise fixtures. This is a general gaa problem and not a Tyrone one. I often think people are often top harsh towards the county board and Harte on the issue, Tyrone clubs get more access to the county players than many other counties.

In order to improve things compromise is needed. The county board have to get in place a proper set of fixtures so that every one knows what's happening. The current situation of ad hoc late planned fixtures with big breaks is unacceptable to club players. On the other hand clubs must except that county players won't be available for all games and take competitions seriously in their absence.

I've suggested a solution a few times on here that I really think could improve things and be a fair solution to many of the issues. Keep 3 tiers of 16 for the championship. But split each in to 2 groups of 8. Each team plays each other once with 7 games and county players available for all.

These could be pencilled in at start of year when Tyrone definitely wouldn't be playing and is less than the ten leagues games they currently have to fit in. The top four would then qualify for the quarter finals and there'd be relegation play offs for bottom two. This has the advantage of clubs having all players available for games that determine their championship status.

Then there would be a separate league that would run irrespective of county fixtures. It would run throughout the summer at the height of the county season giving regular games. I'd maybe suggest having 2 grades a senior and intermediate. Each split into two 11s based on geography. Would then be play offs to determine overall winners. Given that there would be no big journeys it would allow for Friday night games avoiding clashes with county games and giving the boys the weekend off.

County player participation in those games would be optional depending on how Tyrone do and if players need games etc. It would allow some different fixtures and games at the right time. The success of the league would be down to club interest.

Any opinions on something like this or if it would improve things? There is no perfect fix but change is needed.

lenny

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 30, 2016, 09:25:02 AM
There is no perfect solution to the club county debate. Given the way the inter county season is structured it's very difficult to organise fixtures. This is a general gaa problem and not a Tyrone one. I often think people are often top harsh towards the county board and Harte on the issue, Tyrone clubs get more access to the county players than many other counties.

In order to improve things compromise is needed. The county board have to get in place a proper set of fixtures so that every one knows what's happening. The current situation of ad hoc late planned fixtures with big breaks is unacceptable to club players. On the other hand clubs must except that county players won't be available for all games and take competitions seriously in their absence.

I've suggested a solution a few times on here that I really think could improve things and be a fair solution to many of the issues. Keep 3 tiers of 16 for the championship. But split each in to 2 groups of 8. Each team plays each other once with 7 games and county players available for all.

These could be pencilled in at start of year when Tyrone definitely wouldn't be playing and is less than the ten leagues games they currently have to fit in. The top four would then qualify for the quarter finals and there'd be relegation play offs for bottom two. This has the advantage of clubs having all players available for games that determine their championship status.

Then there would be a separate league that would run irrespective of county fixtures. It would run throughout the summer at the height of the county season giving regular games. I'd maybe suggest having 2 grades a senior and intermediate. Each split into two 11s based on geography. Would then be play offs to determine overall winners. Given that there would be no big journeys it would allow for Friday night games avoiding clashes with county games and giving the boys the weekend off.

County player participation in those games would be optional depending on how Tyrone do and if players need games etc. It would allow some different fixtures and games at the right time. The success of the league would be down to club interest.

Any opinions on something like this or if it would improve things? There is no perfect fix but change is needed.

Good idea. There has to be regular games for club players. It is so frustrating and unfair for players to wait 7 or 8 weeks with no games when the weather is good and then have 5 or 6 games shoehorned in in 3 weeks. Young lads just want one game a week on a regular and consistent basis for the duration of the season.

time ticking away

I see Derry and Antrim had their club championship draws this week. What's happening here ? Anyone know anything ?
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

GlenMan

Quote from: time ticking away on February 03, 2016, 12:56:00 PM
I see Derry and Antrim had their club championship draws this week. What's happening here ? Anyone know anything ?

CCC meeting with Clubs on Thursday night so it may take place then.