Joe Kernan Resigns

Started by Armagh Exile, July 18, 2007, 07:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windmill abu

Joe Kernan has always given his all to Armagh both as a player and as a manager. As a Tyrone fan I have always been a little bit envious of his achievements and his ability to to make the sum of the parts greater than than the individual talents.

We should wish him all the best in the future, but I dont believe he will manage any other County team as I think his motivation has always been sucess for Armagh.

Well done Joe, you have helped to make Ulster football a standard to be achieved through out Ireland, rather than a province simply to make up the numbers.

I believe that more southern journalists, pundits & critics will welcome his resignation than we Ulster gaels.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

paddypastit

Can't believe that this hasn't been picked up by the national media over FIVE HOURS after that statement was on orchard county. I actually doubted it except that it is on the county board site too.  

Armagh have been a good, even very good, team since 99, but ultimately not great  Six Ulster title in the last ten seasons years is not to be sniffed at but one All Ireland and two final appearences in that period puts them firmly behind Kerry, Tyrone and Galway and on a par with Meath in the same period.

Did they underacheive? No.  They were a team whose whole was greater than the parts and they sustained that 'wholeness' and dug out results that others didn't have the gumption to deliver tijme and time again.  Kernan was the finishing touch to that menatl hardness.  The base of it was there in the frustratiions of '99, '00 and '01.  Was he 'great'.  A good manager - as in he managed the co-ordination of a lot of things, a motivator, a leader in that he would walk the path untrodden, a communicator - all those things yes but a limted tactician. Comparisons are unfair.  He did what no other Armagh man did and in the way he and his team went about putting the team together he set nesw stanards for everybody.  Whethetr he was personally the man that did x or y is irrellevant - he was the man that gave McCloskey the room to wor and Grimley or whoever else ye credit.  He made the team that worked.  They will not be remembered as a great team but the legacy will be that this team will be remembered as standard setters when many others that won more are long forgotten.

P.S. Kernan, P Se and Mulvihill all resigning on the one day - what a whirlwind day to be a GAA hack
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Pangurban

Strong rumour here in Down,that Paddy O Rourke is being Head-Hunted by Armagh to fill their manegerial vacancy. Could be a good move, although he failed to meet the required standards in Down, he may well achieve some level of success with a County of lower pedigree, where expectations would not be so high.

ONeill

Joe was a master at churning out a win having trailed for the majority of a game.
Joe was a disaster at throwing away a victory having led for much of the game.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Its a sad end to a proud reign over Armagh football.  He reminded me of Bismarck - a powerful leader but I suspect without him and the Mc Geeneys/ Mc Granes, Armagh football will endure 3 years of cold decline.  I would imagine a new manager will p45 these guys as well, as it would be difficult to manage a camp with such strong personality still within.  So yes it is an era for Armagh football.  Big Joe was unable to do what Boylan done and perform rebuilding within his own era, but then again few managers in any discipline can rebuild what time has bypassed. From a GAA perspective I enjoyed his charisma, quips, sportsmanship and his passion for the game.  In the last few years som Armagh fans questioned his integrity in team selection accusing him of nepotism indeed the buzzards - POG etc had been circling for quite a while and they eventually picked off enough meat to form a kill.  Good luck to him and I would love him to test himself with another county like Fermanagh or god forbid Down but he done a very fine job with an Armagh team that belied its talent. 

brokencrossbar1

Well done Joe and thanks for bringing Cross and Armagh to a level that would not have been achieved otherwise.  I am probably the only poster here who has worked directly with Joe for a sustained period of time and believe me the man knows more about how to win games than anyone here.  All you buzzards as rrhf so rightly called you can fcuk away off now and leave the man and his family alone.  While there may not have been direct attacks on them Uladh with his "rumours" and "stories" always had a wee side story to every event and POG with his Blue and Gold Bridge glasses cannot see beyond Creggan Bridge. 

If you can show me any other football manager in recent times who has managed teams to 16 championship wins in just over 10 years then fair play to you. 

Take you time Joe and enjoy the sun, it's not like you don't deserve it.

haveaharp

Paul Grimley and several senior players seen drinking together on Monday night. Et tu, Brute?
What goes around comes around.
PG to be back at the helm for next season. ;)

maddog

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 19, 2007, 09:34:30 AM
Well done Joe and thanks for bringing Cross and Armagh to a level that would not have been achieved otherwise.  I am probably the only poster here who has worked directly with Joe for a sustained period of time and believe me the man knows more about how to win games than anyone here.  All you buzzards as rrhf so rightly called you can fcuk away off now and leave the man and his family alone.  While there may not have been direct attacks on them Uladh with his "rumours" and "stories" always had a wee side story to every event and POG with his Blue and Gold Bridge glasses cannot see beyond Creggan Bridge. 

If you can show me any other football manager in recent times who has managed teams to 16 championship wins in just over 10 years then fair play to you. 

Take you time Joe and enjoy the sun, it's not like you don't deserve it.

While we owe a debt of gratitude to Joe i dont think we can ignore the rumblings in the camp, if the man had lost the dressing room as reported then there was no other option. Everything has its cycle and Joe brought us to the summit and for that he has our thanks and appreciation. Hopefully the issues can be ironed out and we will be back challenging next season.
Well done Joe and good luck.

rrhf

Aye but seriously this opens another can of worms.  Who is managing Armagh football at the moment.  The players in pubs or a strong county board.  Any players working behind the scenes ala Dessie Farrell etc need the road.  They are above their station.  Im not saying it was but If this turned out to be a coup on the most successful manager in Armaghs history then thats stinks of the indians trying to become the chiefs.  A question to the hawks,  will a new manager kick the rest of the Kernans out with their da or do you think these guys have earned it.     

Hardy

I always had great time for Joe, respect for his achievements and admiration for the football his teams played. Real football from a real GAA man.

AZOffaly

At his retirement, I would just like to say congratulations to Joe Kernan for continuing the good work that was done prior to his arrival, and for bringing his Armagh team to the next level. They raised the bar for everybody with their approach, determination and self sacrifice for the good of the team. Joe Kernan and his team take a lot of the credit for that. He said that Armagh were good for the GAA, and all in all I agree with him.

So congratulations to Joe Kernan, a great leader of men, and a leader of great men. Enjoy the retirement. Any chance you'd like a nixer in Offaly?

Kerry Mike

Fair play to Joe, his achievements for Armagh were great for a county that had won nothing in the past and he should always be remembered for that contribution. Its unfortunate for him that they were not good enough to push on and win a second All Ireland. But as someone who was there and suffered the pain of losing in 2002 I can still say that it was one of the great days of the GAA.

On a personal note for Joe I hope he takes some time out to look after himself, he has a serious weight problem thats needs looking after and he is a heart attack waiting to happen. Best of luck for the future Joe.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

T Fearon

Huge thanks to Joe for all he did for Armagh football (in spite of being sacked along with Paddy Mo in 1991 leading to the appointment of two clowns in Mc Corry and Morrison who took us to the absolute depths).

By the way am I the only one not particularly mad about Paul Grimley as a successor. After all he was part of the camp for 5 years, and if a change in direction is needed then surely he is not the man to provide it. I'd prefer John Rafferty with the assistance of someone completely new.

Sandy Hill

QuoteHe couldnt stay on due to the amount of anti Joe feeling that was building up.

Absolute shite! Well done Joe and thanks.
"Stercus accidit"

rrhf

Correct Tony.  It would resemble the Steve Mc Laran appointment.  If you are part of the supposed problem and all that.  A complete change is needed.  My moneys on Jody Gormley.