Joe Kernan Resigns

Started by Armagh Exile, July 18, 2007, 07:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boozehell

As far as the management position goes I think that John Rafferty would be the wrong man for the job.  Speaking from personal experience from managing my own club I think that sometimes he was tactically niave.  Another tactical mistake Joe made was to bring back Diarmuid Marsden as he hadn't played county football for a year or two and then expect him to come back in and reporduce his same form.
Down GAA to the last.

bloody mary

interesting points by paddypastit about the national media. the story was on bbc at 8 last night but not on rte website until 8 this morning. they were more interested in mulvihill quitting. as for joe, well, one armagh fan said 'about time'. they weren't happy about being slagged off by joe after ballybofey, then there's the increasing number of people he fell out with when they dared question or cross him, and of course the least publicised but biggest error of all - taking off Geezer in the All Ire semi against tyrone... harte would have been hung for that

bennydorano

The time has defientely come for a change in direction, but JK will always be fondly remembered.

Of the potential candidates to fill his boots (Grimely, John Raff, Peter Raff & Peter McDonnell) none fill me with any sort of confidence, I've no idea who I'd like to see being the new manager tbh, an outsider might be the best bet but they can be very hit and miss.

Leo

As a Down fan I travelled from Kerry to the Carrickdale to see Armagh take the cup on tour in 2002, having already given my hard-earned ticket to a cousin in Armagh. It was history and great to witness it. This is about sport lads - keep Mido, Steve McLaren and all simialr over-hyped English soccer nonesense, especially persoanl and vulgar abuse, off these boards. Joe Kernan is a big man in every way and his success with Armagh will stand the test of time. Every sports fan should genuinely thank him for the enjoyment and wish him well.
Fierce tame altogether

illdecide

Quote from: Leo on July 19, 2007, 01:00:25 PM
As a Down fan I travelled from Kerry to the Carrickdale to see Armagh take the cup on tour in 2002, having already given my hard-earned ticket to a cousin in Armagh. It was history and great to witness it. This is about sport lads - keep Mido, Steve McLaren and all simialr over-hyped English soccer nonesense, especially persoanl and vulgar abuse, off these boards. Joe Kernan is a big man in every way and his success with Armagh will stand the test of time. Every sports fan should genuinely thank him for the enjoyment and wish him well.

Fair play to ya Leo. I personnaly think it was time for him to step down but i think he done a great job with the players available to him, of course he made mistakes who doesn't but he done good and i have to wish him luck (not that he'll need it as he always seems to land on his feet).
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

topgun

when i heard the news last night i was shocked to hear that JK had resigned, i honestly didnt expect him to make a decision so quickly as he usually takes a couple months to himself speaks with the rest of the management team and makes it known wat he wants to do, but then was a huge sigh of relief came when i heard, now whether or not it was his own decision we will never no, Joe thanks for 2002 one of the greatest days in GAA history, but u let your own needs, and that of cross, to become more important than that of the county team, and i will and most the country will still be baffled by some of ur decisions geezer off in 2005, adapting a game to suit the players available this year, not introducing scoring half forwards, and playin stephen, aaron is brilliant county player, stephen is a decent club player.

Thanks for 2002 al the best for the future, the futures bright the future is orange                                                
Slan go fhoil

a prophet is not recognised by his own

neutral

Admin I wonder could this page be archived.  In 10 years time when Armagh havent won an Ulster title would some of the so called supporters be calling for Big joe to give it another go.  Think of the Joy of Jarleth Burns lifting the Anglo Celt in 99.  Then think of the pain of the 8 years previously and think of the highs of the 8 years since.  I know Tyrone may well come to the same stage with Harte but I cant believe that some of the posters on here are only giving a little praise to a man who gave so much.  Its sad that the era is over as Tyrone and Armagh could have had many more great battles  We should have met in 2002 again; in 2004.   He'll always be a legend in Tyrone even if not in parts of his own county.   

catchandkick

Why should ye have met again in 2002 and 2004?

neutral

well sligo Mayo and Fermanagh spoiled the parties

catchandkick

Yeah whatever ye 'should' have met in 2006 too but Kerry and Laois spoiled the party.

IolarCoisCuain

I was sorry to hear Joe Kernan resigned. I think he's been a fantastic character for Crossmaglen, Armagh and the country as a whole. You have to admire men like Kernan and Ger Loughane and others who are able to lead their teams to the promised land. Health and happiness to him in his retirement.

orangeman

Director of football at all levels in Armagh ? What you think - would be very good in this role -

orangeman

Appoint him quickly before Dublin get their hands on him !!

Uladh

I thought that's what he was already

rootthemout

good luck to joe with whatever he intends to do,cant see him back with any other county team.Some armagh fans are very shortsighted,joe delivered with his teams national titles and ulster titles that no other manager ever did,as supporters have we demanded to much of what is a team being rebuilt?I thank the man and his players for the enjoyment over the last few years although there was disappointments,which every team has the good times outweigh the bad and lets hope we arent going back to the barren days!