Joe Kernan Resigns

Started by Armagh Exile, July 18, 2007, 07:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Datsun Donaghy

QuoteMorrison, Kernan, Grimley, Tierney, the 2002-2007 Armagh team -  a lot of 'big' men in Armagh it seems. A bit like the RUC - overfed Bastards.

That's another surprise O'Neill - never took you for the highly intellectual type!

Joe leaving is the end of an era but I don't think it signals the end of Armagh as long as the right man is installed as his successor.
I'm sure Joe will be back in the GAA at some point ( if he ever really leaves ). He has to be regarded not only as Armagh's most successful manager ever, but also one of the most successful managers ever in gaelic football. To win 4 All-Ireland titles at both club and county level is almost unprecedented - especially when one considers that neither team had won an All Ireland previously.

johnpower

Quote from: Datsun Donaghy on July 18, 2007, 09:37:24 PM
QuoteMorrison, Kernan, Grimley, Tierney, the 2002-2007 Armagh team -  a lot of 'big' men in Armagh it seems. A bit like the RUC - overfed Bastards.

That's another surprise O'Neill - never took you for the highly intellectual type!

Joe leaving is the end of an era but I don't think it signals the end of Armagh as long as the right man is installed as his successor.
I'm sure Joe will be back in the GAA at some point ( if he ever really leaves ). He has to be regarded not only as Armagh's most successful manager ever, but also one of the most successful managers ever in gaelic football. To win 4 All-Ireland titles at both club and county level is almost unprecedented - especially when one considers that neither team had won an All Ireland previously.

Fair point about his achievements he will be some act to follow who ever takes the Armagh  job

Tankie

I think the bloke is a bit of an under achiever, maybe if he had of left a few years ago Armagh would have challenged more.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tyrone Dreamer

I think the Armagh fans who have been mouthing about Joe will only realise what they are mssing in a year or 2. He couldnt stay on due to the amount of anti Joe feeling that was building up. The same people who have shouted looking rid of him will be the same one's in a year or 2 shouting the loudest looking him back when the whole thing goes pear shaped. The man won an ireland in his first year - something Armagh had never done and won 4 ulsters with a limited enough team. Well doe big Joe.

Bensars

Quote from: Uladh on July 18, 2007, 09:52:06 PM

Whispers coming through if a major bust up at the executive meeting earlier this evening. strange development considering joe mor went to it seeking a further term.

Does that mean that he was pushed ?                           If true not a great way to treat the man that brought Armagh their only  senior All Ireland

balladmaker

Thanks for the memories Joe, they will never be forgotten.  The man who brought Cross and Armagh the most prolific period in their history and one which will take some beating.

And my money is on him being a future manager of Dublin....big bucks on offer, high profile position, how could he turn it down if offered?!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Bensars on July 18, 2007, 10:16:04 PM

Whispers coming through if a major bust up at the executive meeting earlier this evening. strange development considering joe mor went to it seeking a further term.

Does that mean that he was pushed ?                           If true not a great way to treat the man that brought Armagh their only  senior All Ireland
So he should be allowed to manage the team for as long as he wants?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Best of luck to Joe.

In a way, he was an author of our success too  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

inisceithleann

no chance big joe would take the fermanagh job? not too far to travel compared to southern teams, we're not a big ulster rival and he wouldn't undergo the media specualtion that would be involved with a team like dublin. Am i just kidding myself here?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Bensars

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 18, 2007, 10:50:40 PM
Quote from: Bensars on July 18, 2007, 10:16:04 PM

So he should be allowed to manage the team for as long as he wants?

Not all POG. However if he was surplus to requirements i think he should have been told ( considering all he has done for armagh football as player, club and county manager) rather than suffering the indignation ( if uladhs whisper is true) of turning up to an executive meeting to seek a further term.

Whether or not you like him, think he should stay or go i think the county board could have treated him with a bit of respect

Armamike

Joe Kernan's contribution to Armagh football has been enormous and will never be forgotten.

None of us know the ins and outs of this announcement and the county board's thinking. So to speculate on it is a bit silly.

QuoteThe man won an ireland in his first year - something Armagh had never done and won 4 ulsters with a limited enough team.

A limited enough team? Give me a break.  Armagh supporters are well aware of what Kernan and the players have achieved over the years.
That's just, like your opinion man.

aidanmcg33

PatDaly

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 18, 2007, 08:01:19 PM

Where is there for him to go? Cross dont need a manager, they are doing quite well, he probably wouldnt manage another Ulster county team and if he were to take on a Southern county squad it would cost them a lot. I think he will take a well deserved rest, but he would be an ideal International Rules manager if it ever gets going again.

I know Down could be doing with a decent manager of Joe Kernan's caliber but then again Down's problems don't start and end with a new manager a set of 15 new players is what Down really require. Down are currently the laughing stock of Ulster they are one of the only teams in Ulster to have never experienced playing in an All-Ireland quarter-final. Long may it continue :) :) :)

Fishead_Sam

If not mistaken Couny Clare needs a new manager.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.