American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc_grens

Falcons are in the shit.

I'm finding myself in a funny position tonight. Rooting against my fantasy QB and D. I want San Diego to beat Philly. If things go right they could come outta Monday Night Football against Denver leading the AFC West!

Whoda thunk it!

magickingdom

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 15, 2009, 11:47:18 AM
Been a distanced watcher of the NFL past few yrs, always watch the Super Bowl, and Ely Mannings last QTR drive probably the best sports moment ive ever seen to see the Giants win, that 50yrd throw and catch unreal in the middle of it.  Im a Dolphins fan, but only really check there results. Never really knew the technicals of plays etc....would know pretty much most other things. Find it very entertaining. Dolphins having a mixed yr, gave away a huge lead at New Orleans, and we seem to have serious problems in the final quarter.

Only I dont understand how the fixtures and standings are worked out. Any chance someone can explain it to me?  Do all ye lads know the plays and tactical side of things or is that above yer heads aswell?

Also curious about college football, the crowds are massive, and all the college staduims are 100,000 plus. The NFL franchise staduims arent as big. Why is this the case?

the fixtures are a mess, its all a part of the nfls desire for parity (along with the draft/revenue sharing/salary cap) so that anyone can win on any given sunday supposedly. theres a 7 year cycle where you play the 3 teams in your own division home and away, then 4 teams from another division in your conference then 4 from a division outside your conference depending on where teams finish the previous year. thus good teams one year have a tougher route the next. getit? good....
college football is much cheaper to go to and a lot of ex students will always follow their college teams.

AZOffaly

I don't think that's quite right Magic Kingdom. There's only 2 games that depend on your record.

I'll take the Cardinals this year.

Firstly they play home and away against everyone in their division = 6 games.
Then they play 2 home and 2 away against the NFC North = 4 Games
Then they play 2 home and 2 away against the AFC South = 4 Games
Then the strength of schedule games = Panthers and Giants (The other 2 NFC divisions).

magickingdom

spot on az, i thought i had gone into enough detail! its up for review at the end of this season as it was introduced in 2002 when the houston texans joined the league

thejuice

Green Bay 3
Cowboys 0

half time.

Good football chat here, funny stuff:
http://www.bangcartoon.com/show.htm
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ONeill

Chargers 14-6 up on the Eagles at HT....and Denver lose again!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

mc_grens

LT is lookin like his old self tonight.

15 carries for 80 odd Yds and 2TDs.

ONeill

ONeill

Same as last week - Chargers wobbling in the last quarter. 28-16 but Eagles dominating. 12 mins. 

If the Chargers somehow see this off, it'd be some clash next week v Denver.

ONeill

Chargers 28-23. Wobble wobble. 7 mins.

AZOffaly

Cardinals making very heavy work of the Seahawks. 24-20 with 11.20 left. 189 yard in penalties between the two of them, split 50-50 almost. Sloppy, very sloppy.

AZOffaly

Chargers are going to do it O'neill. LT 4 yards off 100 :(

Mac Gearailt has caught a TD for the Cards. 11 points up with 6 to go. Come on.

ONeill

Yep, hairy enough though. 31-23.

Next week a big one. After Denver, SD have 2 relatively easy games. 3 out of 4 on the road though.

Carmen Stateside

Colts remain unbeaten.  What a game 35-34
Whats was New England at going for a pass on 4th and 2  with 2 mins left ?? Although manning had come up the field for a TD just before in 1 min 30 something.
Best game of the year by far.