Author Topic: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread  (Read 58452 times)

seafoid

• View Profile
Re: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread
« Reply #660 on: November 26, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »
I think scoring options are quite poor at the moment. The loss of Bamford was huge and has come to really bite us now that Roofe's goals have dried up. Alioski is contributing little as well. Ayling is a huge loss as Dallas to me doesn't look up to this standard. I'd accept that Peacock-Farrell got off to a good start this season but I've always been of the opinion that Jamal Blackman is the best keeper at the Club, and by some distance. Peacock-Farrell's mistake on Saturday evening was the moment any possibility of a comeback was gone. Overall a poor performance with Forshaw - IMHO - the best Leeds' player on the pitch by a country mile.

I'm open to correction on this, but I think in a recent interview Bielsa suggested that there would not be heavy spending in January, but to my mind fresh blood in will be essential, particularly as our competitors will also be investing and the shallow nature of our squad leaves us vulnerable when we get one or two injuries.
According to this website TV money is  77m in the premiership

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/premier-league-prize-money/

The return on capital on say 15m would be great.
On the other hand Bielsa is a top manager. Maybe Leeds have a 3 year plan and the goal for the team this year is experience. A long term plan is more likely to deliver sustainable results.
Those biscuits are for the visitors

Rufus T Firefly

• Na Clairsigh, Ard Mhacha
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 26, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »
On the other hand Bielsa is a top manager. Maybe Leeds have a 3 year plan and the goal for the team this year is experience. A long term plan is more likely to deliver sustainable results.

I'm never sure about long term plans in the Championship. The whole league is so fluid, with teams dropping down from the Premier League with their parachute payments, that it is difficult to plan effectively on a long term basis. Essentially, the time is now and I'd be keen that every effort be put in to making it happen this year, particularly as we have a brilliant manager, a decent squad and have got off to a good start.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 26, 2018, 03:31:39 PM »

I'm never sure about long term plans in the Championship. The whole league is so fluid, with teams dropping down from the Premier League with their parachute payments, that it is difficult to plan effectively on a long term basis. Essentially, the time is now and I'd be keen that every effort be put in to making it happen this year, particularly as we have a brilliant manager, a decent squad and have got off to a good start.
On that basis, Rufus, one would expect a few purchases in the next window

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 01, 2018, 08:58:36 PM »
Tight match in which the ref came in for a bit of criticism. Sheffield United could very easily have had two players sent off in the first half. Thought a draw - which would probably have been the fairest result - was nailed on until the keeper's mistake. I'll take it.

The injury to Cooper looked bad and leaves a huge hole in the defence. Halme replaced him in defence and I thought looked quite assured until he made a terrible error on a straightforward clearance and was bailed out by the keeper. Speaking of the keeper, he made a couple of good saves but is very unsure under the high ball. We need cover there. Alioski is playing terribly and was replaced by Clark who looked very promising. The best player on the pitch was Philips.

First win at Bramall Lane since that famous day in May 1992 and things definitely looking up, but really think there has to be further investment if these injuries are not to take a toll that is fatal to the chances of promotion.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 03, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »
Despite the wobble and the injuries Leeds are one point off the top and 4 points ahead of the next best placed team.
Not bad. I am sure fans would have taken that last August.

Mourne Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 09, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
We are not quite at the half way stage but to put together four wins in a row, with only one goal conceded, coming up to the Christmas period is excellent form. What is probably even more impressive is that the results have been achieved with a long injury list, with Shackleton coming in as effectively the fourth choice right back yesterday and reportedly having a stormer. Bielsa has a very well drilled squad, the players stick to a plan and the points are being steadiy gathered. They are grinding out performances, rather than blowing teams away, and Leeds fans are well used to seeing promising positions fade away, but the omens are alll good and it is largely down to an outstanding manager.

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: Today at 03:37:15 AM »
We are not quite at the half way stage but to put together four wins in a row, with only one goal conceded, coming up to the Christmas period is excellent form. What is probably even more impressive is that the results have been achieved with a long injury list, with Shackleton coming in as effectively the fourth choice right back yesterday and reportedly having a stormer. Bielsa has a very well drilled squad, the players stick to a plan and the points are being steadiy gathered. They are grinding out performances, rather than blowing teams away, and Leeds fans are well used to seeing promising positions fade away, but the omens are alll good and it is largely down to an outstanding manager.
with the pts we have now only one of the last 16 teams in similar position haven't gone up
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: Today at 11:42:02 AM »

Yes, things are indeed looking up, but I'll confess that - as many self-respecting Leeds' fans will do - I can't help but look at the half empty glass sitting on the table.

We are experiencing an incredible amount of injuries and I'm convinced they will impact sooner rather than later, particularly given the sahllow nature of our squad. As an example (and sorry to sound like a broken record), we lost Jamal Blackman recently which leaves BPF as undisputed number one, and he is not a keeper who fills me with confidence.

With Bielsa, we have a world class coach, and it is clear he is doing an awful lot to keep things going. However he has already said that he cannot see us making any additions in the transfer window and that would be a real concern, given the injuries.     

Mourne Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: Today at 06:17:03 PM »
Paddy Power now has Leeds at 8/15 to go up but long suffering fans will recall previous sudden and dramatic reversals of fortune. As recently as 2016/17, the club had been in the top three or four for practically the entire season, and looked nailed on for the play-offs, with even a late run for automatic promotion not out of the question. Instead, a couple of poor results  as well as a spate of injuries and suspensions, resulted in an eventual collapse to seventh place. It is difficult to see Bielsa allowing a repetition but a modest investment in January could take us a long way.