Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 04:42:12 PM
Quote from: Gmac on April 02, 2021, 04:23:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 03:52:44 PM
Plus, its Infrastructure Week.  ;)

This time with actual proposals!

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/31/982666869/watch-live-president-biden-unveils-2-trillion-infrastructure-plan
billions for bullet trains to nowhere like California you mean , hunter probably a good consultant for that project.

Or proposals that acknowledge the reality of things like climate change, rather than pretending that it, and its effects on things like infrastructure, does not exist.

Might be incentives available for Texas to winterproof its electrical production and distribution.
a once a century ice storm ?
In California roads, bridges , railway lines all need upgrades don't know how that helps climate change,
Saw a video of the transport secretary pulling his bike out of the back of an suv and cycling to work the last few hundred yards with security in the suv behind him,  they are so fake you couldn't make it up .

whitey

Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 03:27:42 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 02, 2021, 02:50:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 01:25:09 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 02, 2021, 01:16:15 PM
Don't mind the facts J70

Just start a good rant and keep spreading lies that are dividing the country

You should be ashamed of yourself

You want to get personal?

You're a smart person

Why do you just constantly repeat Democratic talking points, without using your intelligence to actually differentiate between facts and spin?

Believe it or not, I don't go looking up MSNBC or the DNC spin releases to get my information. The bit that angered you this morning was simply my posting something without thinking it through. I'm not aware of any other "misinformation" or "Democratic talking points" that I've posted. I stand by my views on the water/snack issue.

My opinions are my own. They just happen to align much more with the Democrats than they do with what is left of the Republican Party. The Democrats ideas are, for the most part, based on decency and a realistic and intellectually honest view of science,  morality and the needs of people and the environment. The GOP ideas, such as they are, are based almost purely on loyalty to Donald Trump, white people as victims, and owning the libs.   

As I've said before, the vast majority of our exchanges are me responding to some complaint YOU have about something the Dems or the media do or did. You charge in, with absolute certainty, proclaiming something the Dems or the media did as terrible or repugnant or hypocritical. I then question your certainty. And around and around we go, almost every time.

You may be right about what happened in Georgia, that the Democrats should have agreed to that deal, that it would have worked out better. I concede that because of Raffensperger, and because I honestly don't know enough about the background of what took place. But again, I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate to your certainty about the "outrageousness" of what the Dems did.

As I see it, you're pissed off about the backlash to and criticism of the GA voting changes and the similar bills being lined up across the country. I see them as part of an GOP response to high voter turnout (which they openly acknowledge as harmful to their prospects) and the party's mass embrace of a false conspiracy theory that culminated in the events of January 6th. Individually, certain changes may be well intended, but others clearly aren't, and the timing of this movement cannot be explained away.

I would agree-Republican efforts at maintaining "election integrity" are not always on the up and up, but now any effort at streamlining or improving the process is automatically branded  as voter suppression. That is both dishonest and divisive.

I had no idea that Republicans tried to pass that bill ( to expand polling locations) until I actually spoke to someone who lives in Georgia. By the sounds of it, you didn't know about it either.

How can 2 well informed posters not know about something as relevant and significant to the discussion as that? What does that say about the media coverage of the issue

For every story about an 8 hour voting line, how many stories were there about the Republican efforts to pass the bill?

J70

Quote from: Gmac on April 02, 2021, 05:07:47 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 04:42:12 PM
Quote from: Gmac on April 02, 2021, 04:23:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 03:52:44 PM
Plus, its Infrastructure Week.  ;)

This time with actual proposals!

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/31/982666869/watch-live-president-biden-unveils-2-trillion-infrastructure-plan
billions for bullet trains to nowhere like California you mean , hunter probably a good consultant for that project.

Or proposals that acknowledge the reality of things like climate change, rather than pretending that it, and its effects on things like infrastructure, does not exist.

Might be incentives available for Texas to winterproof its electrical production and distribution.
a once a century ice storm ?
In California roads, bridges , railway lines all need upgrades don't know how that helps climate change,
Saw a video of the transport secretary pulling his bike out of the back of an suv and cycling to work the last few hundred yards with security in the suv behind him,  they are so fake you couldn't make it up .

A once in a century ice storm that is likely going to happen with much higher frequency going forward.

I didn't say EVERYTHING in the proposals was climate change-related. But, some of it is. And that is as it should be.

Supposedly they are planning to upgrade 10,000 bridges in all, including a dozen major ones.

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 02, 2021, 05:10:18 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 03:27:42 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 02, 2021, 02:50:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 01:25:09 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 02, 2021, 01:16:15 PM
Don't mind the facts J70

Just start a good rant and keep spreading lies that are dividing the country

You should be ashamed of yourself

You want to get personal?

You're a smart person

Why do you just constantly repeat Democratic talking points, without using your intelligence to actually differentiate between facts and spin?

Believe it or not, I don't go looking up MSNBC or the DNC spin releases to get my information. The bit that angered you this morning was simply my posting something without thinking it through. I'm not aware of any other "misinformation" or "Democratic talking points" that I've posted. I stand by my views on the water/snack issue.

My opinions are my own. They just happen to align much more with the Democrats than they do with what is left of the Republican Party. The Democrats ideas are, for the most part, based on decency and a realistic and intellectually honest view of science,  morality and the needs of people and the environment. The GOP ideas, such as they are, are based almost purely on loyalty to Donald Trump, white people as victims, and owning the libs.   

As I've said before, the vast majority of our exchanges are me responding to some complaint YOU have about something the Dems or the media do or did. You charge in, with absolute certainty, proclaiming something the Dems or the media did as terrible or repugnant or hypocritical. I then question your certainty. And around and around we go, almost every time.

You may be right about what happened in Georgia, that the Democrats should have agreed to that deal, that it would have worked out better. I concede that because of Raffensperger, and because I honestly don't know enough about the background of what took place. But again, I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate to your certainty about the "outrageousness" of what the Dems did.

As I see it, you're pissed off about the backlash to and criticism of the GA voting changes and the similar bills being lined up across the country. I see them as part of an GOP response to high voter turnout (which they openly acknowledge as harmful to their prospects) and the party's mass embrace of a false conspiracy theory that culminated in the events of January 6th. Individually, certain changes may be well intended, but others clearly aren't, and the timing of this movement cannot be explained away.

I would agree-Republican efforts at maintaining "election integrity" are not always on the up and up, but now any effort at streamlining or improving the process is automatically branded  as voter suppression. That is both dishonest and divisive.

I had no idea that Republicans tried to pass that bill ( to expand polling locations) until I actually spoke to someone who lives in Georgia. By the sounds of it, you didn't know about it either.

How can 2 well informed posters not know about something as relevant and significant to the discussion as that? What does that say about the media coverage of the issue

For every story about an 8 hour voting line, how many stories were there about the Republican efforts to pass the bill?

No idea. But I don't recall, say, the GA GOP proposals in the same bill to halt issuance of unsolicited mail ballot applications to everyone being mentioned in the national conversation either.

GA is major news right now because

1. GA was the first of a number of states to go ahead and pass these measures.
2. Trump so recently made such a stink about and tried to coerce the GA Secretary of State into fixing the election for him.
3. The counts and recounts took weeks.
4. The run-offs in the Senate took weeks, during which Trump was still screaming fraud, again, all very recent.

Voting is a new element of the culture war. You have one party, completely consumed by a virtually non-existent problem of voter fraud and in thrall to Trump's ego, whose supporters think their guy was robbed, embarking on a national campaign to change voting rules in the immediate aftermath of an election their guy, aided and abetted by the party, tried to steal.

And this is before the next round of gerrymandering of House districts begins in the coming months. Wait until that shit starts!

The other party playing defense against all of this.

IMO it should be taken out of the hands of both and there should be some kind of independent, bipartisan commission to come up with a uniform set of rules for the country, complete with postal vote rules, ID rules, signature rules, the whole lot. Take the redistricting out of the hands of the state legislatures and let independent panels come up with constituencies that don't look like some tapeworm or work of modern art.

Might help take a bit of heat out of the discourse, and lower the chances of extremist buffoons winning primary contests. If someone, whether Dem or GOP, has to appeal to a broad swathe of the political spectrum to get elected, there'll be less chance of the likes of Marjorie Taylor Greene soiling the floors of the Congress.

A newly sane GOP is desperately needed in this country.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote@JeffPassan

Huge news: Major League Baseball announces it will be moving the All-Star Game from Atlanta in response to the new voting laws passed by Georgia.

Cue the "stick to sports" comments

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 07:55:15 PM
Another US Capitol cop killed today.

The killer is dead too.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2021/apr/02/joe-biden-us-politics-economy-jobs-report-covid-latest-news
25 year old Noah green from Indiana confirmed as the killer
Facebook have removed his account I wonder why .

Gmac

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 02, 2021, 08:00:48 PM
Quote@JeffPassan

Huge news: Major League Baseball announces it will be moving the All-Star Game from Atlanta in response to the new voting laws passed by Georgia.

very racist from mlb taking millions of dollars out of a majority African American city which needs the business.
Watch out for gop going after mlb anti trust status .

RedHand88

MLB is BLM spelt backwards.
It's all beginning to make sense.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on April 02, 2021, 11:49:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 07:55:15 PM
Another US Capitol cop killed today.

The killer is dead too.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2021/apr/02/joe-biden-us-politics-economy-jobs-report-covid-latest-news
25 year old Noah green from Indiana confirmed as the killer
Facebook have removed his account I wonder why .

Because they always do??

But go ahead and give us your theory.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on April 03, 2021, 12:18:38 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 02, 2021, 08:00:48 PM
Quote@JeffPassan

very racist from mlb taking millions of dollars out of a majority African American city which needs the business.
Watch out for gop going after mlb anti trust status .

Anti-trust status?

J70

Apparently the Capitol Hill murderer was a Nation of Islam enthusiast.

Don't know much about them beyond the anti semitism and anti-white racist reputation of Farrakhan, their murder of Malcolm X, their black separatist views and apparently bizarre theology.

Jell 0 Biafra

https://twitter.com/harikunzru/status/1363567793245990914/photo/1

There's a lot more still to come out on X's assassination.  Here's a recent deathbed confession by NYPD ex cop on his, and his dept's involvement.

Seamus

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on April 03, 2021, 02:43:36 AM
https://twitter.com/harikunzru/status/1363567793245990914/photo/1

There's a lot more still to come out on X's assassination.  Here's a recent deathbed confession by NYPD ex cop on his, and his dept's involvement.

Hopefully he will now start questioning the rest of his belief systems, the description of the Democratic Party was some laugh.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

Jell 0 Biafra

I don't understand.  The guy who wrote this is now dead. Who are you referring to when you say you hope he will reassess his views on the Democratic party?