Kerry V Dublin

Started by magickingdom, July 26, 2009, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineKick

Orangeman you took the words out of my mouth, was just thinking that.

There are alot of genuine Tyrone people and posters on this board who I like and their comments are very balanced, so they are not included.

Apologies Orangeman.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 04, 2009, 06:53:10 PM

There are alot of genuine Tyrone people and posters on this board who I like and their comments are very balanced, so they are not included.

Apologies Orangeman.

You'll get a kicking round the lough shore with talk like that SidelineKick  :D

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 04, 2009, 06:46:15 PM

You know, it seems some Tyrone people, and I say some because they couldn't all be as narrow minded as rrhf, are more concerned at Kerry being beaten that anything else, regardless of what stage its at.  So Tyrone have beaten Kerry the last 3 times they've met, so what? If they never meet and Kerry win the All Ireland do you think they'll give a f**k? Do you think they look at their 4 AIs this decade and say "Sure they're worth nothing, we didnt beat Tyrone". Balls they will. And you wonder why Tyrone don't get as much support or credit as you feel they deserve? Its twits like you that make people want Kerry beat Tyrone.  I supported Tyrone in the AI final last year, was genuinely happy to see them winning, then you come on to this to see the posters tell everyone how Kerry can never beat them. My support for Tyrone lasted for all of a day. Bad losers and even worse winners.

In fairness SidelineKick there were plenty of Kerry people in the run up to last years final saying they needed to beat Tyrone in the championship to get that monkey off their backs and there was a definite feeling that failing to do it would devalue their own achievements this decade somewhat. I dont think its an outrageous suggestion anyway, if two teams in any sport have shared 7 titles between them over a few seasons but one of them has won the 3 head to heads then its obvious the other is going to be pretty p*ssed off. In the roll honour of the GAA Tyrone are minnows compared to Kerry and I think the vast majority of Tyrone fans know this magnificent era is not the norm for Tyrone GAA. But its a fact that Tyrone have got under Kerry's skin in recent years and the Kingdom hate it, they dont like losing to anybddy nevermind a bunch of upstarts from the North with no past pedigree. Happened in the 60's too ;D.

orangeman

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 04, 2009, 06:53:10 PM

Apologies Orangeman.

No need to apologise. There have been a lot of unbalanced comments from a lot of postes / pundits / commentators / journalists as past week or so. It's nearly like we're in the middle of the silly season. Football is very hard to work out at the minute. That's why the bookies nearly always win.

We're all inclined to over react a wee bit at times. The funniest one has been Spillane who as past few weeks was in depression mode and now he's going around with a silly auld smile on his gub.  ;)

paddypastit

orangeman - saw that David Kelly 'analysis'.  I was at the match. Haven't read many reports but what was he on about re Kerry's pre match focus on Cluxton and then going on about Bastick 'contemplating why he chose such a destructive course of action in the game's final quarter'.  To my eye Cluxton could actually hold his head up.  He made a few decent saves and while you might question kick outs a little, when your midfield is as comprehensively beaten as Dublin's was, both to the kick out and the break, there isn't a lot that any keeper can do. And as for analysing Bastick's efforts, yes he was exposed - perhaps it was he that was in Kelly's mind when he talked about pre match planning - by the Dec O'Sullivan switch and no doubt that he should have gone for a succession of dangerous and pointless tackles, but what odds did anything he did in the last quarte make?

My bottom line on this one is that David Kelly is, as he regularly does, talking through his self important posterior and his understanding of what happens inside a game and a team, as against what what he sees happening, is limited. We might criticise the Spillanes, McStays and Brollys but credit that they know the game and watch it week in week out and bring that knowledge into their assessments. This guy has neither... and it shows
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

magickingdom

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on August 04, 2009, 07:16:26 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on August 04, 2009, 06:46:15 PM

You know, it seems some Tyrone people, and I say some because they couldn't all be as narrow minded as rrhf, are more concerned at Kerry being beaten that anything else, regardless of what stage its at.  So Tyrone have beaten Kerry the last 3 times they've met, so what? If they never meet and Kerry win the All Ireland do you think they'll give a f**k? Do you think they look at their 4 AIs this decade and say "Sure they're worth nothing, we didnt beat Tyrone". Balls they will. And you wonder why Tyrone don't get as much support or credit as you feel they deserve? Its twits like you that make people want Kerry beat Tyrone.  I supported Tyrone in the AI final last year, was genuinely happy to see them winning, then you come on to this to see the posters tell everyone how Kerry can never beat them. My support for Tyrone lasted for all of a day. Bad losers and even worse winners.

In fairness SidelineKick there were plenty of Kerry people in the run up to last years final saying they needed to beat Tyrone in the championship to get that monkey off their backs and there was a definite feeling that failing to do it would devalue their own achievements this decade somewhat. I dont think its an outrageous suggestion anyway, if two teams in any sport have shared 7 titles between them over a few seasons but one of them has won the 3 head to heads then its obvious the other is going to be pretty p*ssed off. In the roll honour of the GAA Tyrone are minnows compared to Kerry and I think the vast majority of Tyrone fans know this magnificent era is not the norm for Tyrone GAA. But its a fact that Tyrone have got under Kerry's skin in recent years and the Kingdom hate it, they dont like losing to anybddy nevermind a bunch of upstarts from the North with no past pedigree. Happened in the 60's too ;D.

lda, if kerry get to the ai and were to lose it i would much rather lose to tyrone then to cork, i would also much rather lose to mayo in the semi final then to tyrone in the final btw  :D

tyssam5

Quote from: magickingdom on August 04, 2009, 06:23:47 PM
Quote from: rrhf on August 04, 2009, 05:19:27 PM
After yesterday can we now dismiss the notion that Dublin Kerry was a close sporting rivalry.  Dublin have had the dubious pleasure of being Kerrys bitch for the last 60 years.   Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch in the "meaning of life" when the teachers play the kids and kick them up and down the field.  Kerry will always find teams to bully and humiliate.  Thank God Tyrones not one of them.   

you haven't a clue what your on about. dublin have something like 22 ai's tyrone have 3 and thats the maths at the minute. if tyrone win another 3 in the next decade then maybe they'll be something more in terms of rivals but thats a bit off yet. playing dublin will always be as good as it gets for kerry..

as for dublin yesterday people are reading way to much into it, they didnt become bad footballers yesterday it just didnt happen for them on the day and we've all been that soldier, kerry got walloped/hocked/humiliated by meath a few short years ago. thats football. if they meet next year it could be a different result

I think I can see why! And that's just AI finals. I'm sure the other encounters would only add to the 'rivalry'.

1892   Dublin 1-4; Kerry 0-3   

1904   Kerry 0-5; Dublin 0-2   

1923   Dublin 1-5; Kerry 1-3   
1924   Kerry 0-4; Dublin 0-3   

1955   Kerry 0-12; Dublin 1-6   

1975   Kerry 2-12; Dublin 0-11   
1976   Dublin 3-8; Kerry 0-10   
1978   Kerry 5-11; Dublin 0-9   
1979   Kerry 3-13; Dublin 1-8   

1984   Kerry 0-14; Dublin 1-6   
1985   Kerry 2-12; Dublin 2-8   

tyssam5

Quote from: magickingdom on August 04, 2009, 06:23:47 PM
Quote from: rrhf on August 04, 2009, 05:19:27 PM
After yesterday can we now dismiss the notion that Dublin Kerry was a close sporting rivalry.  Dublin have had the dubious pleasure of being Kerrys bitch for the last 60 years.   Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch in the "meaning of life" when the teachers play the kids and kick them up and down the field.  Kerry will always find teams to bully and humiliate.  Thank God Tyrones not one of them.   

you haven't a clue what your on about. dublin have something like 22 ai's tyrone have 3 and thats the maths at the minute. if tyrone win another 3 in the next decade then maybe they'll be something more in terms of rivals but thats a bit off yet. playing dublin will always be as good as it gets for kerry..

as for dublin yesterday people are reading way to much into it, they didnt become bad footballers yesterday it just didnt happen for them on the day and we've all been that soldier, kerry got walloped/hocked/humiliated by meath a few short years ago. thats football. if they meet next year it could be a different result

I mind them all like it was only yesterday!
1899 (the great 3 in row side!)

1908 (3 in a row!)

1923 (3 in a row!)

In fairness the Dubs were good in 70's as well and I actually do remember their last AI in 1995 when they put Tyrone to the sword! Hope that roll-of-honour cheers them up at this dark time!

orangeman

Quote from: paddypastit on August 04, 2009, 07:22:18 PM
orangeman - saw that David Kelly 'analysis'.  I was at the match. Haven't read many reports but what was he on about re Kerry's pre match focus on Cluxton and then going on about Bastick 'contemplating why he chose such a destructive course of action in the game's final quarter'.  To my eye Cluxton could actually hold his head up.  He made a few decent saves and while you might question kick outs a little, when your midfield is as comprehensively beaten as Dublin's was, both to the kick out and the break, there isn't a lot that any keeper can do. And as for analysing Bastick's efforts, yes he was exposed - perhaps it was he that was in Kelly's mind when he talked about pre match planning - by the Dec O'Sullivan switch and no doubt that he should have gone for a succession of dangerous and pointless tackles, but what odds did anything he did in the last quarte make?

My bottom line on this one is that David Kelly is, as he regularly does, talking through his self important posterior and his understanding of what happens inside a game and a team, as against what what he sees happening, is limited. We might criticise the Spillanes, McStays and Brollys but credit that they know the game and watch it week in week out and bring that knowledge into their assessments. This guy has neither... and it shows

Don't know much about him. What's his background ?

Over the Bar

QuoteStreams for the black north here :-)

Copy links into browser

First Half:

rtsp://od2.rte.ie/geoblock/24717be17fd47cd3288f5d85629cdd8c/geoblock/2009/mondaygame-236689-243.rm

None of those links working for me.

Main Street

Quote from: orangeman on August 04, 2009, 04:46:40 PM
Interesting take on the game from Eugene Mc Gee - another over reaction ?

The Kingdom shows class is permanent
By Eugene McGee

Tuesday August 04 2009

Paul Galvin played a horse of a game too and adds a new dimension to the whole Kerry effort while Tadhg Kennelly continues to make more and more impact in every game. His two 50-yard cross-field passes to Cooper were sheer brilliance and complimented the marvellous return to form of Gooch,
- Eugene McGee

I thought Galvin hit one of those passes, maybe not.

INDIANA

Listen if you think you will see Tyrone players the equal of sean cavanagh and stevie o neill every year you're codding yourself. Enjoy it while it lasts mate- because it never does. We know that only too well. This is a golden generation of tyrone players not an every year occurence.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on August 05, 2009, 12:03:47 AM

So to be crude but what the f**k are you basing that on?  Dublin are in a tail spin, no underage success, no AI in years .no AI final is the same amount of years. The only glimmer is the back to back club All-Irelands and course half of these players are culchies .
That's bollox that half of the players are culchies - I don't think the Dubs are that far away, what you have to get the players to realise is that they have to make it happen, that they have to leave every ounce of effort in their being on that pitch, there's no point in running around half heartedly challenging and then coming in with dirty slaps later because you are all frustrated that you have fcuked up another year.  Just watch the tackling from Dublin in the first 30 secs of yesterday's game, it's pathetic (although the gooch goal should definitely have been a free out for his push on his marker, and who knows what way things would have gone then).

Gnevin

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 05, 2009, 12:19:50 AM

So to be crude but what the f**k are you basing that on?  Dublin are in a tail spin, no underage success, no AI in years .no AI final is the same amount of years. The only glimmer is the back to back club All-Irelands and course half of these players are culchies .
That's bollox that half of the players are culchies - I don't think the Dubs are that far away, what you have to get the players to realise is that they have to make it happen, that they have to leave every ounce of effort in their being on that pitch, there's no point in running around half heartedly challenging and then coming in with dirty slaps later because you are all frustrated that you have fcuked up another year.  Just watch the tackling from Dublin in the first 30 secs of yesterday's game, it's pathetic (although the gooch goal should definitely have been a free out for his push on his marker, and who knows what way things would have gone then).

Poetic license . As for the rest blah ,blah, blah . I've been hearing that for 15 years.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on August 05, 2009, 12:23:20 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 05, 2009, 12:19:50 AM

Poetic license . As for the rest blah ,blah, blah . I've been hearing that for 15 years.
I disagree, this is the first time in 15 years that you've got a few decent natural forwards, dublin's problem this past while is that they've not been finding any of these lads.  Remember, tis the best full forward line in football ;)