Kerry V Dublin

Started by magickingdom, July 26, 2009, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Should have taken the point- no question. It wasn't a goal chance.

orangeman

Interesting take on the game from Eugene Mc Gee - another over reaction ?

The Kingdom shows class is permanent
By Eugene McGee

Tuesday August 04 2009

Standing ovations at half-time were never the Kerry way but, such was the sheer majesty of their team's performance yesterday in the first-half demolition of Dublin, the Kerry fans were justified in making an exception.

This great football county has had many famous performances of brilliance, but nothing could match the performance in that first half. Every pre-conceived notion by GAA fans all over Ireland was shattered into oblivion.

This Kerry team was not finished; Darragh O Se was not over the top; Colm Cooper had not lost his appetite for football and above all, Jack O'Connor HAD NOT lost the plot.

I have seen all the Kerry-Dublin matches since the 1960s and this was the best full-length performance I have seen over Dublin. It was better than the 1978/'79 games because they depended much more on goal-scoring in those times.
This game showed a devastating level of individual and team performance that has rarely been seen from Kerry over all their great years and they did this with simplicity itself.

Beat your man to the ball, catch the high balls when competing with opponents, direct long foot-passes all over the field to disorientate opposing backs; and finally, go for your scores with raw courage and total lack of selfishness. Little wonder that 10 Kerry players scored at will and that these fundamentals of Gaelic football -- for long the trademark of Kerry -- stood to them in the face of wild talk about the Kingdom in the build-up to this game.

There are two caveats, however, in this result. The most notable is that just as in the past five Leinster campaigns, Dublin were living in cloud cuckoo land as regards the intrinsic merit of several of their players; the second is that Dublin opened the gate for Kerry to charge through in the opening quarter by making a series of switches all over their back-line that clearly confused those backs into a state of mental paralysis.

I have rarely seen a back-line get so petrified after 10 minutes as Dublin did, while the switches continued in a vain effort to try to close down players like Colm Cooper and Darran O'Sullivan.

Dublin have had a problem in their defence -- particularly the full-back line -- for years but yesterday, combined with the game against Tyrone last year, surely means that persisting with the majority of these defenders is a hopeless exercise for Dublin mentors. But will that lesson be taken on board? Surely defeats by 12 points last year and 17 this year will convince Dublin GAA people to seek out a new back-line.

But there is no point in dissecting the Dublin performance because the game had been decided half-way through the first half when Kerry were ahead by eight points.

Obviously a lot of Dublin players are far better than they looked yesterday, but most worrying for the Dubs is that all the plans so elaborately set in motion, on and off the field in 2009, were demolished so ruthlessly and in such a short space of time. And where does this result and last year's leave Leinster football?

But it is the Kingdom who move on towards the Sam Maguire with a clash against Mayo or Meath and there will be a new spring in the step of every Kerry person around the globe after this performance.

Of particular interest was the performance of so-called lesser lights such as O'Sullivan and Seamus Scanlon and, indeed, I would consider Scanlon to be the man of the match because of his work-rate in the game and the brilliant manner in which he allows O Se to maximise his resources in the midfield area.

Paul Galvin played a horse of a game too and adds a new dimension to the whole Kerry effort while Tadhg Kennelly continues to make more and more impact in every game. His two 50-yard cross-field passes to Cooper were sheer brilliance and complimented the marvellous return to form of Gooch, who must be a very happy man today after the 'shellacking' he received from some people who should realise that genius does not suddenly die away but occasionally takes a break. A short break!

Kerry do not engage in elaborate team tactics, preferring to let their best players make their own decisions in the heat of battle and this was in marked contrast to Dublin, where pre-match planning seemed to predominate in recent years and the capacity of individual players to take initiatives, particularly in times of stress, is lacking.

Kerry did take steps to deprive Stephen Cluxton of the short kick-outs he has used successfully against other counties and once the Kingdom got motoring with that early Cooper goal, they played their football off the cuff as they have always done.

For a period after half-time they seemed to slow down the game -- just as Kildare did at the same time against Tyrone -- and on both occasions that back-fired, as it allowed opponents to gain more possession. But Kerry soon abandoned that and swept over nine points in around 20 minutes to put the icing on the cake.

Now they CAN look forward to a great season, although it will not be anything as easy as yesterday. For Dublin, in conjunction with their failure to reach an All-Ireland final from five Leinster victories, the questions to be asked will be fundamental and the answers will not be pleasant, unless quite a few new talent is developed over the coming nine months.

And for the lesser lights like Longford, Sligo and Antrim, there must have been a grain of satisfaction at Kerry's dazzling display.

- Eugene McGee

rrhf

After yesterday can we now dismiss the notion that Dublin Kerry was a close sporting rivalry.  Dublin have had the dubious pleasure of being Kerrys bitch for the last 60 years.   Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch in the "meaning of life" when the teachers play the kids and kick them up and down the field.  Kerry will always find teams to bully and humiliate.  Thank God Tyrones not one of them.   

orangeman

Quote from: rrhf on August 04, 2009, 05:19:27 PM
After yesterday can we now dismiss the notion that Dublin Kerry was a close sporting rivalry.  Dublin have had the dubious pleasure of being Kerrys bitch for the last 60 years.   Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch in the "meaning of life" when the teachers play the kids and kick them up and down the field.  Kerry will always find teams to bully and humiliate.  Thank God Tyrones not one of them.   

Read a very good analysis of the game by David Kelly in today's Indo. Says much the same.

Bogball XV

Quote from: rrhf on August 04, 2009, 05:19:27 PMKerry will always find teams to bully and humiliate.  Thank God Tyrones not one of them.   
To paraphrase the old saying "One decade, a summer does not make" ;)

INDIANA

True. but Tyrone won't always have teams as good as this team. I'm old enough to remember the 70's-there never was a dublin v kerry rivalry in any sense.

tyroneman

Glad to see pat was able to see through goochs dive in the first half. No mention in the media either, similar to his elbow a couple years ago.

Eastern_Pride

Methinks the dubs made the rivalry, not kerry.....pity because it will take a real dublin team to beat this lot...
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

INDIANA

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 04, 2009, 05:41:53 PM
Methinks the dubs made the rivalry, not kerry.....pity because it will take a real dublin team to beat this lot...

Nope the media did. I mean some of the team of the 70's need to stop doing these interviews. I'm sick of reading about  the bloody 70's

tyssam5

magickingdom

you haven't a clue what your on about. dublin have something like 22 ai's tyrone have 3 and thats the maths at the minute. if tyrone win another 3 in the next decade then maybe they'll be something more in terms of rivals but thats a bit off yet. playing dublin will always be as good as it gets for kerry..

as for dublin yesterday people are reading way to much into it, they didnt become bad footballers yesterday it just didnt happen for them on the day and we've all been that soldier, kerry got walloped/hocked/humiliated by meath a few short years ago. thats football. if they meet next year it could be a different result

AZOffaly

I was sitting in a pub in Cahirciveen on Sunday, chatting to a couple of South Kerry lads while watching Tyrone and Kildare. We got to chatting about the game on Monday, and agreed Jack would probably put Dec O'Sullivan into full forward to try and run the Dubs full back line, because they'd be expecting Tommy Walsh on duty there. Anyhow, one of the bucks said to go next door to the bookies and put a few bob on Declan at 12-1 to be MOTM because he 'was buzzing' all week. They felt they turned a little corner in the last 15 against Antrim. Still couldn't see Dublin's collapse coming, very disappointing, but I'm sorry I decided to stay drinking pints rather than going into the bookies. Feckity Feck.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: magickingdom on August 04, 2009, 06:23:47 PM

you haven't a clue what your on about. dublin have something like 22 ai's tyrone have 3 and thats the maths at the minute. if tyrone win another 3 in the next decade then maybe they'll be something more in terms of rivals but thats a bit off yet. playing dublin will always be as good as it gets for kerry..

as for dublin yesterday people are reading way to much into it, they didnt become bad footballers yesterday it just didnt happen for them on the day and we've all been that soldier, kerry got walloped/hocked/humiliated by meath a few short years ago. thats football. if they meet next year it could be a different result
Thats what you've been saying for years but it never happens!
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

SidelineKick

You know, it seems some Tyrone people, and I say some because they couldn't all be as narrow minded as rrhf, are more concerned at Kerry being beaten that anything else, regardless of what stage its at.  So Tyrone have beaten Kerry the last 3 times they've met, so what? If they never meet and Kerry win the All Ireland do you think they'll give a f**k? Do you think they look at their 4 AIs this decade and say "Sure they're worth nothing, we didnt beat Tyrone". Balls they will. And you wonder why Tyrone don't get as much support or credit as you feel they deserve? Its twits like you that make people want Kerry beat Tyrone.  I supported Tyrone in the AI final last year, was genuinely happy to see them winning, then you come on to this to see the posters tell everyone how Kerry can never beat them. My support for Tyrone lasted for all of a day. Bad losers and even worse winners.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

orangeman

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 04, 2009, 06:46:15 PM

You know, it seems some Tyrone people, and I say some because they couldn't all be as narrow minded as rrhf, are more concerned at Kerry being beaten that anything else, regardless of what stage its at.  So Tyrone have beaten Kerry the last 3 times they've met, so what? If they never meet and Kerry win the All Ireland do you think they'll give a f**k? Do you think they look at their 4 AIs this decade and say "Sure they're worth nothing, we didnt beat Tyrone". Balls they will. And you wonder why Tyrone don't get as much support or credit as you feel they deserve? Its twits like you that make people want Kerry beat Tyrone.  I supported Tyrone in the AI final last year, was genuinely happy to see them winning, then you come on to this to see the posters tell everyone how Kerry can never beat them. My support for Tyrone lasted for all of a day. Bad losers and even worse winners.

It's not really fair to generalise like that.