Irelands Greatest Figures

Started by Shortso79, March 22, 2010, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

There was a thread on this about 3-4 months ago that went in detail naming irish figures of note

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

longrunsthefox

johnneycool

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 23, 2010, 03:20:01 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 23, 2010, 03:13:54 PM
Pearse gets my vote.

Pearse who?...

Brosnan.

Very good Bond and by the looks of it he's as much right on it as some of those other eejits

deiseach

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 23, 2010, 01:51:31 PM
We has a lot of scientists whose names are in everyday use e.g. Beaufort Boole as in Boolean for the computer whiz kids, Kelvin and didn't know this but the guy who eplained why the sky is Blue was Irish John Tyndall.

For others look at

http://understandingscience.ucc.ie/pages/irishscientists.htm

Interesting article. Robert Boyle is in the premier league of scientists throughout history. There's a pub in Barrack Street in Carlow called the John Tyndall, always wondered who he was - now I know!

Billys Boots

Quote from: deiseach on March 23, 2010, 03:59:55 PM
We has a lot of scientists whose names are in everyday use e.g. Beaufort Boole as in Boolean for the computer whiz kids, Kelvin and didn't know this but the guy who eplained why the sky is Blue was Irish John Tyndall.

For others look at

Interesting article. Robert Boyle is in the premier league of scientists throughout history. There's a pub in Barrack Street in Carlow called the John Tyndall, always wondered who he was - now I know!

Britain's climate change research centre (one of the leading such institutes on the planet) is named after Tyndall.  It's based in the University of East Anglia in Norwich.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggysego

Until Jim McDonald is added to the poll, it is a complete farce and one that I will ignore!
Testing Accessibility

Feckitt

UDR Jim from Corrie?

Where the f**k is the King 'Dickie Rock'?

Denn Forever

Quote from: ziggysego on March 23, 2010, 04:38:05 PM
Until Jim McDonald is added to the poll, it is a complete farce and one that I will ignore!

Father of Steve and Andy or is there another famous Jim Mc Donald?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Tony Baloney

For others look at

Sure these boys were British before 1921...

<ducks for cover>  ;D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Donnellys Hollow

No mention of Tom Crean, Marty Morrisey, Ernst Shackleton, Sharon Ní Bheoláin, Dan Donnelly, Fr. Larry Duff, Arthur Guinness, Ted Walsh, Lee Carsley, Brian Boru, Dick "butterfingers" Spring, Dawn Run, Miley Byrne, Mick O'Dwyer, Andrea Corr, Éamonn Casey, Eddie McGoldrick, Brendan Kilkenny, Arkle, Weeshie Fogarty, Dustin the Turkey, Bernard from Black Books, Gabriel Fulcher, Sea The Stars, Barney Curley, William Ulsterman from Harry Enfield, Stewart McKenzie-Smith?

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

randomtask

dermot morgans is a big miss, although he was never getting on it when its RTE making the show.

stephenite

Phil Babb's omission is disgraceful also