Irelands Greatest Figures

Started by Shortso79, March 22, 2010, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Absolutely disgusted with that list.

Only 2 members of Boyzone on it. What about Mikey, Keith and Shane ffs?

Capt Pat

All the rubbishy people on the list, O'Leary, Walsh, Keating and Gately are there because of the texting nature of the voting. It can't be helped. Mr Life ish Roller Coashter, you just want to roide it instead of George "Madam with my looks and your brains we should have the perfect offspring"Bernard Shaw. There is just no justice in the world.

randomtask

Michael Collins
Éamon de Valera
Charles Stewart Parnell
Liam Neeson
Pádraig Harrington

personal five favourite, all proud irish men who are well respected worldwide.

Capt Pat

Is Neeson the only Nordie on the list?

randomtask

john hume and seamus heany both from derry

stephenite

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 22, 2010, 11:23:09 PM
Quote from: the colonel on March 22, 2010, 11:08:40 PM
Some on that list is madness! Louis Walsh, wtf. Not wanting to speak ill off the dead, but why is Stephen Gately on there?

Because he died recently.

Exactly - whoever put this list together needs their holes kicked. Whilst not trying to be disrespectful Stephen Gately would not have been even considered had he not died.

Nally Stand

Cmon now capt Pat don't be using the word nordie. I don't want to have to drop the f bomb on those of you in the f***state. Brutal list altogether though as these type of polls tend to be. Don't deserve the time of day.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Shortso79 on March 22, 2010, 10:57:23 PM

RTÉ launches Ireland's Greatest Figures

RTÉ has invited the public to vote for Ireland's greatest figures as part of a new television series.

From a shortlist of 40 people, the public will be asked to vote for the greatest figures in the country's history.

The shortlist includes people from across the gamut of Irish life: sport, politics, music, arts and literature.
Advertisement

Votes can be cast at a dedicated website: www.rte.ie/tv/irelandsgreatest/, from 9am on Monday 22 March until noon on Friday 2 April.

The top five figures, as nominated by the voters, will then become the subject of one of five brand new hour-long documentaries, each charting the individual's impact and contribution to Irish life, as interpreted and championed by a well-known personality.

The resulting series of documentaries will be broadcast this September on RTÉ One.

Once these documentaries have aired, the public will again be given the opportunity to reassess which person deserves the accolade of Ireland's Greatest Figure, with the winner being announced on 'The Late Late Show' in October.

Shortlist of Greatest Irish People (in alphabetical order)

1. Bono (1960)                   FAIL
Rock Star and Human Rights campaigner

5. Éamon de Valera (1882-1975)   FAIL
Revolutionary, Former Taoiseach and President of Ireland

9. Garret Fitzgerald (1926) FAIL
Former Taoiseach and leader of Fine Gael

11. Bob Geldof (1951) FAIL
Musician and Human Rights campaigner

13. Charles Haughey (1925 - 2006) SUPER DUPER FAIL
Former Taoiseach and leader of Fianna Fáil
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 23, 2010, 01:54:53 AM
Cmon now capt Pat don't be using the word nordie. I don't want to have to drop the f bomb for those in the f***state. Brutal list altogether though as there type of polls tend to be. Don't deserve the time of day.

f***state thats what they are printing on the New Passports, they are blaming the machine being broke in the flood but I reckon its part of their industrial action to be honest.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Nally Stand

As long as it doesn't say West Britain sure!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Nally Stand

Scandalous list. Not a mention of Brush Shields to be found. And what about  Paul Berry? Willy Frazer? Pat Kenny? Brendan O'Carroll? Dessie Farrel? John Bannon? I just don't know any more.

Hardy

I'm voting for Joe Dolan and against The Wolfe Tones.

ludermor

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 22, 2010, 11:40:45 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 22, 2010, 11:31:47 PM
No Ronnie O'Brien either.

:D :D Had a look at Ronnie on wikipedia there - seems he ended up carving out a decent career for himself in America.

What was the name of the economist from the north who was a top civil servant in the south and won Irish person of the century?
TK Whitaker? Still alive as far as i know.

Declan

I heard that the list was combined from a survey of 1000 poeple and it was 50/50 split on gender lines but interestingly only 3 women on it

Some looney choices alright