Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: NorthAntrim on May 28, 2024, 02:41:06 PMWhat way did gleeson work? drive up and down every evening for training? hotel stay? massive commitment that
Quote from: NAG1 on May 28, 2024, 01:34:49 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on May 28, 2024, 01:11:00 PMMicky McShane would be a good shout in my opinion. Dick O'Kane also or would Johnny Campbell or Close want to take it on? Any of the underage coaches inside the county set up ready to step up? I hope Gleeson stays on another year as it's all been positive from players about him. We'll have to pay top dollar no matter who it is from outside.

Or inside now the precedent is there.
Quote from: NAG1 on May 28, 2024, 01:34:49 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on May 28, 2024, 01:11:00 PMMicky McShane would be a good shout in my opinion. Dick O'Kane also or would Johnny Campbell or Close want to take it on? Any of the underage coaches inside the county set up ready to step up? I hope Gleeson stays on another year as it's all been positive from players about him. We'll have to pay top dollar no matter who it is from outside.

Or inside now the precedent is there.

Who inside the county apart from Dick O'Kane is there?

JonnyD_

When you go round the clubs there's not too many options and I know I'm advocating for an Antrim man, but I think Gregory. Ticks most of the boxes.

If he was interested then give him a bash at it!

Couple of good men in with him city and country ones like Gleeson had - Karl mckeegan & Brian Mcfall for example!

paddyjohn

Quote from: JonnyD_ on May 28, 2024, 10:26:06 PMWhen you go round the clubs there's not too many options and I know I'm advocating for an Antrim man, but I think Gregory. Ticks most of the boxes.

If he was interested then give him a bash at it!

Couple of good men in with him city and country ones like Gleeson had - Karl mckeegan & Brian Mcfall for example!

Karl McKeegan is managing Armagh with John Carson, would he jump ship?

NorthAntrim

Theres plenty of antrim men around ulster counties but that doesnt mean they are up to the standard we probably require. A lot of these "county managers/coaches" have done very little at club level in antrim

JonnyD_

MR2 who would you recommend?

a. if you had to go locally?
b. if you had you pick across the country (realistically)?

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 27, 2024, 05:40:50 PMSo which Antrim man are you recommending?

Not sure what standard of players we have to match teams physically? We have plenty skill btw but over 70 plus minutes the big teams grind you down.

Bitta disrespectful on Carlow, they'd a better score difference to us and with 15 players on the park they could have won.

johnnycool

If you are going to give it to someone, internally or not, you just can't go lumping someone else in with them just to suit a certain perceived bias or balance, i.e. Horse with someone from the city!

Whoever you give it to needs to live and die on their own sword and let them bring in whoever they need or want as in the end it's them that will have to work with the whole team, coaches and all.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on May 29, 2024, 10:27:03 AMIf you are going to give it to someone, internally or not, you just can't go lumping someone else in with them just to suit a certain perceived bias or balance, i.e. Horse with someone from the city!

Whoever you give it to needs to live and die on their own sword and let them bring in whoever they need or want as in the end it's them that will have to work with the whole team, coaches and all.
Yes this whole country/city mix is weird. They are all (potentially!) from Antrim and should be the best people for the job. I remember reading people saying that an outsider like Gleeson was a *better* option has he came with no bias! At county level you'd like to think the management team are picking the best available panel!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 29, 2024, 10:42:41 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 29, 2024, 10:27:03 AMIf you are going to give it to someone, internally or not, you just can't go lumping someone else in with them just to suit a certain perceived bias or balance, i.e. Horse with someone from the city!

Yes this whole country/city mix is weird. They are all (potentially!) from Antrim and should be the best people for the job. I remember reading people saying that an outsider like Gleeson was a *better* option has he came with no bias! At county level you'd like to think the management team are picking the best available panel!

But you are long in the tooth to know that the manager will always pick his best squad regardless of where they are from in the county but the barfly/hurler in the ditch/keyboard warrior will have something else to say, which is why we do have the city manager with a mix of backroom staff to appease the balloons out there!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 29, 2024, 10:42:41 AM

I think they 100% will be picking the best side. Its more from the supporters who youd be hearing the bias from. Also rules out the possibility of players thinking this but that is down to themselves and if they are prepared to look in the mirror or not

NorthAntrim

Also at the minute we dont need to be debating potential managers. Id hope Gleeson in the next week or so would commit(along with all the players) to at least another year.

johnnycool

Quote from: NorthAntrim on May 29, 2024, 12:17:28 PMAlso at the minute we dont need to be debating potential managers. Id hope Gleeson in the next week or so would commit(along with all the players) to at least another year.

He'll be waiting to see what the likes of his home county and maybe Galway do in relation to their current managers now that they've exited the championship a bit earlier than they'd have liked.

Milltown Row2

The draw to those counties would be strong but they are well below their usual standards and its not looking a quick fix in either of them

Massive pressure
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: johnnycool on May 29, 2024, 12:24:19 PM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on May 29, 2024, 12:17:28 PMAlso at the minute we dont need to be debating potential managers. Id hope Gleeson in the next week or so would commit(along with all the players) to at least another year.

He'll be waiting to see what the likes of his home county and maybe Galway do in relation to their current managers now that they've exited the championship a bit earlier than they'd have liked.

Can't see either happening