2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: muppet on September 16, 2013, 10:43:52 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 16, 2013, 10:31:30 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 16, 2013, 06:52:51 PM
Those middle aged people have a point. Lose this and they'll probably never see Sam coming to Mayo. This is the key factor this year methinks for lots of Mayo people.

Jaysus, they re middle aged  - not old aged  ;)

I expect this Mayo team will be even better again next year.  Mayo are competing with Dublin to see who s the biggest wolf on the lot this year and it could be a close one. Doesn t mean the loser will sink without trace. Mayo - and Dublin - are still developing and have too much quality not to be forces for years to came.

Both teams should be around next year at least, but (without looking at stats) I am guessing the Dubs are the younger team.

Probably - and I m hoping that they might be a bit too young in a couple of positions this year ;) Quality young players though.

Mayo ( Dublin too of course) will be able to drip quality players into the panel all the time. No need for us to go away. Management is key for Mayo. Any time we ve had a manager that knows a bit we re a serious team. Boyle and Conroy were broken intercounty players before Horan took over.

But here s an interesting stat. James Horan has the best win% of any county manager since 2001, according to our friend Terry Reilly in The Examiner.  Alright, Jim Gavin not included because they took managers with a minimum 10 championship matches.
I know, I know, London and the state of Connacht football ::) but multiple AI winners were beaten. Only defeats to Kerry and Donegal ruin a perfect record!

Am I grasping at statistics here?!

muppet

Quote from: moysider on September 16, 2013, 10:58:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 16, 2013, 10:43:52 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 16, 2013, 10:31:30 PM
Those middle aged people have a point. Lose this and they'll probably never see Sam coming to Mayo. This is the key factor this year methinks for lots of Mayo people.

Jaysus, they re middle aged  - not old aged  ;)

I expect this Mayo team will be even better again next year.  Mayo are competing with Dublin to see who s the biggest wolf on the lot this year and it could be a close one. Doesn t mean the loser will sink without trace. Mayo - and Dublin - are still developing and have too much quality not to be forces for years to came.

Both teams should be around next year at least, but (without looking at stats) I am guessing the Dubs are the younger team.

Probably - and I m hoping that they might be a bit too young in a couple of positions this year ;) Quality young players though.

Mayo ( Dublin too of course) will be able to drip quality players into the panel all the time. No need for us to go away. Management is key for Mayo. Any time we ve had a manager that knows a bit we re a serious team. Boyle and Conroy were broken intercounty players before Horan took over.

But here s an interesting stat. James Horan has the best win% of any county manager since 2001, according to our friend Terry Reilly in The Examiner.  Alright, Jim Gavin not included because they took managers with a minimum 10 championship matches.
I know, I know, London and the state of Connacht football ::) but multiple AI winners were beaten. Only defeats to Kerry and Donegal ruin a perfect record!

Am I grasping at statistics here?!

This is a good point. Seamus O'Shea, Tom Cunniffe and Chris Barrett have seen their careers take new trajectories under Horan, along with arguably Kevin McLoughlin, Barry Moran and Richie Feeney.
MWWSI 2017

Captain Obvious

Like most of the top teams Mayo have some younger players still developing however most of the Key players are at peak age now. If Mayo lose another All Ireland final on Sunday will it mean James Horan has taken this group of players as far as they can go?

muppet

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 16, 2013, 11:31:47 PM
Like most of the top teams Mayo have some younger players still developing however most of the Key players are at peak age now. If Mayo lose another All Ireland final on Sunday will it mean James Horan has taken this group of players as far as they can go?

Nah, Cork 1987 - 1988.

Dublin 1992 - 1994.

There is no reason this Mayo squad would fear anyone next year, is there? The same applies to Donegal and maybe Cork or Kerry. But regardless of the result on Sunday, Mayo and Dublin will be in everyone's top 5 for next year, probably top 3 and possibly top 2.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 16, 2013, 11:31:47 PM

No.

Apart from a fear of losing this gig my biggest fear is Horan not staying on as manager.

Most Mayo players now well below their peak - and peak is getting older all the time. Our peak players are Dillon and Moran. It is unfortunate that both are hampered by injury. O Connor is a kid but a player for a generation but he s not going to be 100% either. If we can do this it with the injuries we ve had it will be some win.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: muppet on September 16, 2013, 11:37:52 PM
Nah, Cork 1987 - 1988.

Dublin 1992 - 1994.

There is no reason this Mayo squad would fear anyone next year, is there? The same applies to Donegal and maybe Cork or Kerry. But regardless of the result on Sunday, Mayo and Dublin will be in everyone's top 5 for next year, probably top 3 and possibly top 2.

I forget did Cork,Dublin change their manager before winning those All Irelands in 1989,1995? top five or top three isn't much good if you can't become number one.

Quote from: moysider on September 16, 2013, 11:51:55 PM

No.

Apart from a fear of losing this gig my biggest fear is Horan not staying on as manager.

Most Mayo players now well below their peak - and peak is getting older all the time. Our peak players are Dillon and Moran. It is unfortunate that both are hampered by injury. O Connor is a kid but a player for a generation but he s not going to be 100% either. If we can do this it with the injuries we ve had it will be some win.

You should fear as James Horan is the very man that has made Mayo All Ireland contenders who is the suitable replacement if he decides to call time? i don't think peak is getting older and mileage also counts, more so if you don't win the All Ireland.

muppet

Billy Morgan managed Cork from 1986, lost two finals in 87 and 88 before the breakthrough.

Pat O'Neill managed the Dubs in 1995 and it was his first year.

Both prove opposite points.

MWWSI 2017

Johnnybegood

Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2013, 12:08:45 AM
Billy Morgan managed Cork from 1986, lost two finals in 87 and 88 before the breakthrough.

1995 wasn't ONeills first year
Cullen 91-92 ONeill 93-95

emmetryan

Hi guys,

Tactical profile of Mayo with video now up
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7650

Thanks,
Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

An Gaeilgoir

Have a photo at home of my father sitting in Sam in '51 as a baby............a lifetime for him following the county.....would love Mayo to win it for the likes of him......................

AMayoFan

Quote from: emmetryan on September 17, 2013, 07:50:30 AM
Hi guys,

Tactical profile of Mayo with video now up
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7650

Thanks,
Emmet

Thanks Emmet, I've been waiting with bated breath for your take on this match. 

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2013, 12:08:45 AM

Pat O Neill actually took over in 1993 after the Donegal fiasco in 1992. There was actually a small heave to get rid of o Neill after Down beat us narrowly in 194 but the DCB held firm.

highorlow

QuoteBoth teams should be around next year at least, but (without looking at stats) I am guessing the Dubs are the younger team.

Had a quick glance before on this. Remarkably both teams have almost the same average age.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

highorlow

QuoteLike most of the top teams Mayo have some younger players still developing however most of the Key players are at peak age now

Please elaborate?

23 is it? or 24?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

J OGorman

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 17, 2013, 09:09:15 AM

Have a photo at home of my father sitting in Sam in '51 as a baby............a lifetime for him following the county.....would love Mayo to win it for the likes of him......................

Would love to see Mayo do it on Sunday. An AI title is earned, and I think Mayo have what it takes, just. Holidayed in Mayo in the lead up to the semi. Travelled around a good bit of the county in the car, on the bike and on foot. Place was awash with colour, had the feel of a county, much like Donegal in 92, Derry in 93, were its people and the goodwill and lit candles from folk in other counties will hopefully bring you over the line a whisker in front. Burger wise, cant decide which was better, Bald Grainne's in Newbridge or Nevins, good eatin!   :)