2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 17, 2013, 03:26:24 PM
Was looking at Blogs and forums from the AI final in 2004. Scary stuff, allot of posters were picking Mayo to win. Saying these lads were different to other Mayo teams. Anybody that picked Kerry, said it wold only be by a few points. Sound familiar?

Why, why, why would you do that?

MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 17, 2013, 02:53:18 PM
We're all sorted now!  :P

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/priest-lifts-curse-mayo-ahead-2278538?fb_action_ids=10201510396814866&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210201510396814866%22%3A438224592965858%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210201510396814866%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D
"As Andy Moran, the present team captain, said recently, the reason we haven't won an All-Ireland title since 1951 is because we weren't good enough."

Tight matches can go either way. Losing a final by a point doesn't mean "not good enough" . "Didn't have the bit of luck" would also be fair to say.

rrhf

Yes but that bounce off the grassy mole agin Meath, twas the curse.  No less. there were evils at work and then Meath being Meath just give you the "hidin at the hill" for badness.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 17, 2013, 02:24:11 PM
Quote from: Declan on September 17, 2013, 01:57:54 PM
Such a hard game to call. Would like to think Dublin will win by a point or two but there's a definite feel of destiny around Mayo this year.At the back of my mind there's a feeling that Dublin will convert their chances and put up a big score but then again if they've continually squandered goal chances this season logic says they won't suddenly convert a higher ratio of them on Sunday. Dublin's "weakest" line it could be argued in the semi was the HF line and this was Mayo's strongest I felt so will this tip the balance in the Westerners favour?? Whilst Dublin mightn't win primary possession against the O'Sheas I'd take McAuley and O'Sullivan against anyone over 70 minutes.

Anyway I think it'll be a close run thing and I wouldn't begrudge Mayo their long awaited win though I hope they have to wait a bit longer.

By the way if Mayo do win will the supporters invade the pitch??? Hope not but I get the sense from talking to a few lads that it'll be mighty hard to stop them

It will be a serious issue for Croke park authorities. And one I'd say they have though long and hard about. Numbers and enthusiasm are the key factors. Who were the last set of fans to invade? Armagh 2002?

It would be a great pity it Mayo fans were to invade the pitch if they won on Sunday. The biggest losers would be the majority of Mayo fans who would remain in the stands.

One of the most memorable highlights of the Dubs win in 2011 was that the team could remain on the pitch for up to half an hour after the presentation savouring the win with the crowd. Anyone who was there will never forget it.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Jinxy

Yeah, you can't beat standing on the Hill clapping while your team walk around an empty pitch.
That's why the GAA and RTE never use footage of pitch invasions in their promotional campaigns.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

Some of the best GAA moments this year was the supporters of Monaghan,Limerick celebrating on the field after a long wait to win titles. Unfortunately those great scenes won't happen on Sunday as A) Mayo are unlikely to win  B) could be a draw or C) the plastic mesh and Hill 16 fence will prevent supporters from entering the field.

Quote from: highorlow on September 17, 2013, 09:53:08 AM
QuoteLike most of the top teams Mayo have some younger players still developing however most of the Key players are at peak age now

Please elaborate?

23 is it? or 24?

Aforementioned Andy Moran,Alan Dillion and Keith Higgins,Colm Boyle,Ger Cafferkey will all be in their late twenties next year. The younger players Aidan O'Shea,O'Connor,McLoughlin don't have the same mileage as those players and will continue to develop, the rest its no guarantee if they will be starters in years to come.

ballinaman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 17, 2013, 05:17:13 PM
Some of the best GAA moments this year was the supporters of Monaghan,Limerick celebrating on the field after a long wait to win titles. Unfortunately those great scenes won't happen on Sunday as A) Mayo are unlikely to win  B) could be a draw or C) the plastic mesh and Hill 16 fence will prevent supporters from entering the field.
;D You do realise there will be lads from Belmullet,Ballycroy ect in the stands...wishful thinking you think a bit of mesh will do the business. I'm in row D in the lower Cusack....and I'll be going for it IF we win. I'm a big enough fcuker too...well able to take a running jump  8)

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ballinaman on September 17, 2013, 05:29:39 PM
;D You do realise there will be lads from Belmullet,Ballycroy ect in the stands...wishful thinking you think a bit of mesh will do the business. I'm in row D in the lower Cusack....and I'll be going for it IF we win. I'm a big enough fcuker too...well able to take a running jump  8)

Its very durable mesh you will need the help of Aidan O'Shea to break through it.

larryin89

[/quote]
;D You do realise there will be lads from Belmullet,Ballycroy ect in the stands...wishful thinking you think a bit of mesh will do the business.
I'm in row D in the lower Cusack....and I'll be going for it IF we win. I'm a big enough fcuker too...well able to take a running jump  8)

Yeah and why have these brave men acted like big pussies since the start of the week trying to rid themselves of hill 16 tickets.

I swear to Christ I love my county but when it really comes down to a bit of stand up and be counted Mayo men are renowned for shyness.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

joemamas

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 17, 2013, 05:39:40 PM

Its very durable mesh you will need the help of Aidan O'Shea to break through it.

No mesh for finals. I took the Croke Park tour twice in past year, and they dont do mesh for finals. Getting down from upper levels will be a bigger issue, if we win.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Johnnybegood

Would yiz not be better off having a bit of respect for the hard graft the players put in and stay where you are and let them celebrate with you and with each other without them being  mobbed!

squire_in_navy_slacks

Buckos ye are loosing the run of yourselves altogether........................sure David Brady is going to wear a pink thong and all .........newstalk radio he said it live on the air and all..............this coming from a guy who for years hadn't a good word to say about dublin players living in the limelight..........................now look at him lapping it up at every opportunity, cashing in on the young mayos buckos successes

larryin89

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 17, 2013, 07:15:26 PM
Buckos ye are loosing the run of yourselves altogether........................sure David Brady is going to wear a pink thong and all .........newstalk radio he said it live on the air and all..............this coming from a guy who for years hadn't a good word to say about dublin players living in the limelight..........................now look at him lapping it up at every opportunity, cashing in on the young mayos buckos successes

What are you worried about David Brady for, ya fookin jackeen count.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .