Sligo All Ireland Junior Champions 2010

Started by ross4life, August 02, 2010, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Fair play criost linn.....1967 U-21 Final Replay Mayo 4-09 Kerry 1-07 by the way Rossamadán

EagleLord

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 24, 2010, 10:35:14 PM
Quote from: EagleLord on August 24, 2010, 10:03:01 PM
Maybe Im being a bit dopey here, but what grade is Junior? Like who qualifies to play for that team?

Seems to be different depending on the county. Some teams are more like county B selections while others mainly draw players only from the junior or intermediate ranks.

I see! Thanks!

ross4life

Am i right in saying Roscommon are still the only team to have beaten Kerry in the final at every level? anyways this junior success should be great opportunity for the Sligo lads that may have been overlooked in the past
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Kerry Mike

well done to all in Sligo .

QuoteAs the saying goes 'you haven't really won an All-Ireland until you've batin The Kingdom

Will save that for the Senior final if the langers win  :P
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on August 25, 2010, 03:51:43 PM
Am i right in saying Roscommon are still the only team to have beaten Kerry in the final at every level?
I believe so alright.
Some record  ;D and we can't even pick everyone from Ros  >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kerry Mike

QuoteAm i right in saying Roscommon are still the only team to have beaten Kerry in the final at every level? anyways this junior success should be great opportunity for the Sligo lads that may have been overlooked in the past

ah ye dont have much to be boasting about from Roscommon so ye can have that one.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Rossfan

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 25, 2010, 09:53:51 PM
QuoteAm i right in saying Roscommon are still the only team to have beaten Kerry in the final at every level? anyways this junior success should be great opportunity for the Sligo lads that may have been overlooked in the past

ah ye dont have much to be boasting about from Roscommon so ye can have that one.

Something ye kutehoors can't do anyway  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kerry Mike

QuoteSomething ye kutehoors can't do anyway

37 Senior All Irelands but it would be unlike us to boast about them.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

spectator

Quote from: criostlinn on August 25, 2010, 12:32:14 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 22, 2010, 08:44:26 PM
Congrats to the Sligo lads on winning the All Ireland JFC 9 doubling their no of all Irl wins.
Delighted for them and for their posters on Gaaboard Sligonian,Seanie and the rest.
Also nice to see a third Connacht county being able to beat the Kingdom in an All Ireland Final ( Us,Sligo and Galway  ;)).

I have to take the bait. I just cant leave it. Yet again young man you are embarrassing yourself. Have a look at the 1997 junior final and the '67 u-21 final.

Oh sorry forgot the winky yokes ;) ;)

and these ones for magpie seanie and spectator.   ;D ;D ;D

Fair cop there criostlinn :D 

Ennis seems to be a lucky ground for ye when it comes to All-Irelands ... now if only ye could get the aul September games played there ... ;)

Western People August 27th 1997
All-Ireland Junior Football Final

Mayo survive strong Kerry challenge as ........King Billy's men claim their own Kingdom!

MAYO 2-8 KERRY 1-10

Mayo won their fifth All-Ireland Junior when they defeated Kerry in Cusack Park, Ennis, on Saturday evening. Patrons were treated to a good and entertaining match with the outcome in the balance to the final whistle. A number of factors were to the fore in carving this victory over a fancied Kerry side and it was a sweet victory for the Mayo lads who put a major effort into this year's campaign.

Mayo manager, Billy Fitzpatrick, was in jubilant mood after the game. And he spoke of his pride in the manner in which the team conducted themselves throughout the season. "Most of that squad today were on the team that defeated London in the final in Castlebar in 1995. At least ten of them were on the panel. They had a lot of experience and most of them had played at various levels for the county, including the senior team, at some stage or another."

Billy said he could not praise the squad highly enough. "They were very committed from the outset. We worked hard for this title. You don't always get this kind of commitment at junior level. These lads deserve their success. They are an exceptional bunch of fellows. Looking back, I must say that the trip to Birmingham for the game against Warwickshire was very special. Their conduct on that trip was exemplary and they were great ambassadors for the county. It also helped to further develop a great sense of friendship between the entire panel. I'm delighted for all of them that they have won an All-Ireland Junior medal."

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: ballinaman on August 25, 2010, 07:27:57 AM
Mayo 4-09 Kerry 1-07

One lad scored all four goals. Surely should be a legend in Mayo for that feat alone. What was his name again?

ballinaman

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on August 26, 2010, 01:37:55 AM
Mayo 4-09 Kerry 1-07

One lad scored all four goals. Surely should be a legend in Mayo for that feat alone. What was his name again?

Willie McGee

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: ballinaman on August 26, 2010, 01:52:38 AM
Mayo 4-09 Kerry 1-07

Willie McGee

The very man. Will Mayo bate Ciarraí? Yes if they have Willie McGee.

Turlough O Carolan

And to get back on topic, congrats to Sligo. They least they deserved after all the county brought to the championship this year. The atmosphere in Castlebar on Connacht final day was something else and the supporters were very gracious after a devastating loss. Few would begrudge them adding some silverware from other All-Ireland grades to this.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Rossfan on August 25, 2010, 09:55:12 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 25, 2010, 09:53:51 PM

Something ye kutehoors can't do anyway  ;D

what do you mean exactly ?

criostlinn

Quote from: ballinaman on August 26, 2010, 01:52:38 AM
Mayo 4-09 Kerry 1-07

Willie McGee

Four Goal Willie, although he himself prefers to be called four goals and a point willie