Sligo All Ireland Junior Champions 2010

Started by ross4life, August 02, 2010, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

From ConnachtGAA website

Semi final Result

Sligo    0-13   2-6   Louth

Congrats to them I'm sure Sligonian will give a detailed report when he return's from the game

They play either    Lancashire or Kerry on Saturday, 21st Aug 2010

Sligo Team/scorers
1 Jason Farrell
2 Donal McLynn
19 Luke Bree
4 David Rooney
5 Niall Walsh
6 Mark Quinn (capt)
7 Kevin Gallagher
8 James Murphy
9 Paul McTiernan
10 Shane Stenson 0-1
11 Padraig McGoldrick
22 Brendan McGrath
13 Cian McNamara
14 Kieran Finan 0-2
15 David Maye 0-8 (0-5 frees 0-2 45m)

Subs: Noel Gaughan for McGrath Halftime
Daniel Maye for Walsh 46 mins
Joe Quinn for Gallagher 50mins 0-1
Mark Gordon for McGoldrick inj 53 mins 0-1
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

magpie seanie

I wonder will it be Lancashire or Kerry??!!!!

Well done to the lads especially Luke Bree from my own club. Lets hope we can get some silverware to end off the year.

SLIGONIAN

I was hoping to keep this low key as when i heard the tedd webb cup scoreline it knocked the stuffing out of me so i posted on the local page not a thread of its own :-\. I'll take it ross4life put this up in good faith and not to pratronise us Sligonians, but the junior is not important by any stretch. Id have preferred to win TW cup. Losing to the Rossies in the u21, senior and u16 is hard to take, especially when in my mind i know how much we fcked up this yr to make all the above possible.

Our club player and friend was captain Mark Quinn and lead the team brilliantly. Bree showed mental strength after a shaky opening and played well from 10mins on. Maye was main man up front with the odd classy showing from finan. Defence was solid enough with mcglynn and rooney aswell showing well. James Murphy is a big man but seriously intelligent footballer. Congrats to all. Walsh showed no signs of resignation today it has to be said but im no expert in body language, but he looked up for it. Hope he stays as i feel he has learned alot about us this yr. Noel Guaghn started HF today which isnt clever but did well when moved to HB to counter the threat of no12, Sligo were 4 pts down with 10 mins gone and went a 1pt ahead at HT, only to go 4pts dwon again in 2nd half and we 0-5 without reply to win. Very similar game to Connacht final.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 02, 2010, 09:17:29 PM
I was hoping to keep this low key as when i heard the tedd webb cup scoreline it knocked the stuffing out of me so i posted on the local page not a thread of its own :-\. I'll take it ross4life put this up in good faith and not to pratronise us Sligonians, but the junior is not important by any stretch. Id have preferred to win TW cup. Losing to the Rossies in the u21, senior and u16 is hard to take, especially when in my mind i know how much we fcked up this yr to make all the above possible.

Our club player and friend was captain Mark Quinn and lead the team brilliantly. Bree showed mental strength after a shaky opening and played well from 10mins on. Maye was main man up front with the odd classy showing from finan. Defence was solid enough with mcglynn and rooney aswell showing well. James Murphy is a big man but seriously intelligent footballer. Congrats to all. Walsh showed no signs of resignation today it has to be said but im no expert in body language, but he looked up for it. Hope he stays as i feel he has learned alot about us this yr. Noel Guaghn started HF today which isnt clever but did well when moved to HB to counter the threat of no12, Sligo were 4 pts down with 10 mins gone and went a 1pt ahead at HT, only to go 4pts dwon again in 2nd half and we 0-5 without reply to win. Very similar game to Connacht final.

Out of interest Sligonian, would you take club football as seriously as following Sligo?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 02, 2010, 09:20:38 PM

Out of interest Sligonian, would you take club football as seriously as following Sligo?
No is the short answer. I dont lose any sleep if the club lose however last few weeks have been a nightmare county wise. There is a good reason for this and i probably have to explain, but St Molaise Gaels is a relatively new club an amalgamation of 3 rival areas, grange, maugherow and Cliffoney. I played up until u14 with Cliffoney, u16 & u18 Grange/Cliffoney and U21 SMG. It was hard to unite us, but young fellas now are united and seniors too and it is great to see, commitment is a big issue in my club and theres too much politics for my liking. We need a man or manager to bring the club on, but some dont only want success if there involved. There would be people in the club that would never want me involved even as a volunteer although i go to every game to support but i'll sneak in under the radar someday. I still care if the club win and am delighted but not at the extremeties of the county. I take supporting Sligo more serious than any other aspect of my life. My Dads the same. We are lunatics.

ross4life

I was hoping to keep this low key,  I'll take it ross4life put this up in good faith and not to pratronise us Sligonians, but the

In no way was i patronising i just saw the result, didn't see a thread on it & imagine you were at the game

Low key?  Junior or not it's all Ireland Final for Sligo... When we won The junior All Ireland in 2000 The like's S. Curran,Daly,Cox,Mannion were part of that team

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

paddypastit

Sligonian - why in the world would Walsh show 'signs of resignation'?  The only person / place where that has ever been suggested is by you.  As you now seem to have done a 360 degree on your statement of last week that he was 'overhyped' and that 'If KW has any sense it will resign for the benefit of himself and us' [direct quote] maybe you might see the foolishness of lashing out with the first thing that comes into your head at / after a match. Passion and emotion are powerful things in sport and often the diffrence between winning and losing in most walks of life - even work.  Without control however they are a hindrance and a menace.

Agree with you about the U16s btw...  the stark reality that we are not winning at minor and U16 should keep the minds really focussed at CB level.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: paddypastit on August 02, 2010, 10:01:43 PM
Sligonian - why in the world would Walsh show 'signs of resignation'?  The only person / place where that has ever been suggested is by you.  As you now seem to have done a 360 degree on your statement of last week that he was 'overhyped' and that 'If KW has any sense it will resign for the benefit of himself and us' [direct quote] maybe you might see the foolishness of lashing out with the first thing that comes into your head at / after a match. Passion and emotion are powerful things in sport and often the diffrence between winning and losing in most walks of life - even work.  Without control however they are a hindrance and a menace.

Agree with you about the U16s btw...  the stark reality that we are not winning at minor and U16 should keep the minds really focussed at CB level.

If Galway were tapping him up, i thought id see it in his demeanour today, you that he wouldnt care as he was going to Galway.

On my own comments, talking to others and there probably right that Walsh learned alot about us this yr and that if someone new comes in my make alot more mistakes as he wouldnt know what KW knows. I still dont rate him as highly as others but he deserves another 1yr. The only comment ive made the 360 on below "and us".....which ive explained above.

I think the coachings there but the CB management selections have thrown away a few titles in the last few yrs at underage. They should be focused on getting rid of mulhern and jonston but you couldnt count on it...

magpie seanie

There is/was a lot of worry about Sligo that Walsh may move on. Pretty much everyone wants him to stay so hopefully he does. Of course the management team made mistakes when you apply the 20-20 vision of hindsight but I think he's the best manager we've had over the senior team in my memory. What's more (and crucially where in the past Sligo have been most culpable) I bet he will learn from those mistakes and come back better for them.

magpie seanie

I see Luke would have been marking Mark Stanfield who has been a high scorer for Louth seniors for several years so it was no flat he was marking. Good stuff. Any of the Louth lads explain why he's no longer on senior panel?

ross4life

tonight's result

Lancashire    1-8   1-17   Kerry

BennyHarp

Fair play to Lancashire, was at the game this evening and they competed well for most of the game! Don't think Kerry got out if first gear though to be fair!,
That was never a square ball!!

SLIGONIAN

It could be changed to 22nd as part of triple header with mayo minors, and dublin and cork, i know Sligo have requested it but it may not happen. If it stays the 21st ennis, galway would be likely venues or semple staduim as triple header with the u21 semis.

Aodan macgearait was FF for Kerry i think, a fine player in his day, luke bree impressed again yday in a club game so id say he'll do fine hopefully. I seen Padraig McGoldrick in crutches last nite so id say he is out.

ross4life

The Junior Final is usually a stand alone fixture & with Kerry involved expect it to be played in Ennis

blanketattack

Does the Sligo team include players from Senior clubs?