Sligo All Ireland Junior Champions 2010

Started by ross4life, August 02, 2010, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Was based in Stockholm for the last couple of years I believe (I think he played a bit of Aussie Rules over tere with distinction!). Hopefully he is back for good but maybe some of the Tourlestrane lads can confirm.

Mano

He is finished in Stockholm i believe and last i heard was looking for employment in Ireland. Would be a huge asset, can fill any position in half forward or half back lines. Problem position of centre back would be where i would locate him but if McIntyre makes himself available both would be in the half back line with Cawley as Davey is likely to be absent for most of next year.

paddypastit

I don't entirely know the answer to the question raised by Shrewdness as I'm resident in Dublin but my guess is that no one will be going mad in Sligo but that it will be well celebrated and appreciated within the GAA community itself and respectfully acknowledged beyond but without capturing the public imagination.

I think it is an important building block and agree with the comment made by Seanie comparing it to NFL games. I recently started a blog and I've copied in below a post I made there earlier.

The only other thought would be to endorse the comments made re Egan who would be a proper addition and a guy with the mental toughness required at a higher level of football as well as serious physical power and football ability.

"Junior football would never have been overly prominent on my football agenda as a youngster in Sligo but for all that there is great sense of pride in hearing that Sligo tonight are All Ireland champions in the junior grade.

For many it will not make up for the disappointment of how the senior team fell away but when you add this victory to the victory by the U-16 team in the Fr Manning Cup, the fact that the U21s and U16s got to their respective Connacht finals and that both Attracta's and Summerhill had good seasons in Colleges, then – without ever considering what has been achieved by the senior team – it has been a good year.

Leaving aside the pleasure of winning, this and all of those other achievements are important as this is what establishes, in both their own and others' minds, a real sense that Sligo have what it takes and that Sligo now are, in their own words a "serious" county. As those that have read here over time will know, I believe that this is the only tradition that counts in Gaelic football today.

Full credit then to all those in Sligo football that have contributed to this contemporary tradition and here's a wish that they don't let up on the good work now"
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

clarshack

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 21, 2010, 06:54:54 PM
Congratulations to Sligo on winning the All Ireland Junior Title.

Some people (usually from the so called elitist counties) turn their noses up at even the mention of this competition.
I still remember the excitement in Roscommon when we beat Kerry in the 2000 Junior Final.

This title is the least that Sligo Gaa deserves this year, after the heartbreak of losing Connacht U-21 and Senior Finals.
They made a very positive contribution to the Gaa scene this year, and it's nice that they have something to put a smile on their faces.

It will be interesting to hear the views of Sligonian, Paddy, Seanie etc on how they think this win will be viewed in Sligo.
Will it be celebrated, or will it get a cool enough reception because of it's status in the greater scheme of things.

Anyway, well done Sligo.

Well done Sligo. I would like tyrone to be able to participate in this competition. Can someone enlighten me why ulster teams dont take part anymore?

sligoman2

Congratulations to all involved.  This is an All-Ireland trophy and only the second one in our history so enjoy it lads and well done, the whole county is proud of ye.

I hope McIntyre decides to join the senior panel next year as he has tremendous talent and would be a huge asset to the team as would Egan.
A well deserved end to a very positive year.  Oh and by the way, my sincere thanks to Kevin Walsh for sticking with us, I have a funny feeling you won't regret it.

Yeah Baby....
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Rossfan

Congrats to the Sligo lads on winning the All Ireland JFC 9 doubling their no of all Irl wins.
Delighted for them and for their posters on Gaaboard Sligonian,Seanie and the rest.
Also nice to see a third Connacht county being able to beat the Kingdom in an All Ireland Final ( Us,Sligo and Galway  ;)).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on August 22, 2010, 08:44:26 PM
Congrats to the Sligo lads on winning the All Ireland JFC 9 doubling their no of all Irl wins.
Delighted for them and for their posters on Gaaboard Sligonian,Seanie and the rest.
Also nice to see a third Connacht county being able to beat the Kingdom in an All Ireland Final ( Us,Sligo and Galway  ;)).

;D

SLIGONIAN

Sligo 2-10 Kerry 1-7 my thoughts on the game...

It is strange going into a game when both teams really dont know much about each other. Sligo played with the wind 1st half and started brightly, Gaelic football is a strange game as Cian McNamara proved. Here is a player who didnt stand out against Louth or for his club St Johns the previous week but his outstanding goal got us going and he played brilliantly all through showing in front of his marker and holding the ball up. The goal was set up by Eoin McHugh who had an outstanding 1st half, he won ball he had no right to win, battled for everything, put his body on the line, and passed supremely, if he continues in this vein he will push Cawley hard for senior spot but Eoin needs consistency to do that and i wish him well as is physique is perfect for intercounty. We got a further few points from placed balls from maye and let me tell none of the frees were gimmes, i watched maye before the game and he hit every practice free wide, but it just shows you he performs best when the pressure is on. Kerry took an age to get going but for a bad call from the linesman for us which resulted in the kerry goal, we did switch off as poff in a acre of space in front of farrell who had no chance with a close range finish. Sligo reacted well and Finans goal was opportunistic, in came in on the blind side of the defender who was going to pick up the ball and finan got in front and soccered it into the net to give Sligo a vital lead as with HT approaching a facing a wind 2nd half we needed a lead. McGoldrick and maye tagged on frees to give Sligo 2-4 to 1-2 lead at HT.

In fairness to kerry they got a blow in the early part of the 1st half when Macgearait got injured and was forced off. Our tactics for the whole game was getting 10/12 behing the ball into our own half and break from there. The HB line was so crowded that i honestly couldnt tell you how mcintyre played as there was so much protection around, it was negative tactics but it worked, we broke and countered very well at times but we did lose our shape a few times, with only 2 forwards up front and 5 kerry backs. This is where the speed and fitness of McGlynn, Rooney, and bree showed, they were able to run at pace out of defence, opening up space for our Hf line, our HB line held there postions at most and linked the play.

Murphy did alot better 2nd half and broke and won a sight of ball, we started to play serious football at times 2nd half and created loads of space along the wings. Benny McDonagh was impressive once again, his ball carrying skills were a joy to watch in terrible conditions. Sligo scored 6 in 2nd half points, Maye got 2 from play, both great finishes with either foot, our only points from play. Kerry got 3 players sent off, 2 in injury time and tbh there was no need to send off the last 2 as both were going for the ball, the ref never allowed for the conditions and was way too whislte happy with the slightest of physical contact. Sligo never looked in danger of losing as we kept kerry at arms length. Egan played as spare man btween the midfield and HBline and plugged the gaps well.

All in all a good for Sligo, it was great to see a Sligo team with no fear of the green and gold of Kerry like our seniors showed last yr. Was glad Farrell was captain as it cant be easy to sub keeper all yr and still remain committed.
Maye was probably moftm, but he still not the finished article, he needs to improve his physique, a few times he was easily disapessed when ball carrying so needs to improve this area of his game, also he was far too deep at stages of the game, inside our 45.
I feel im inbetween as some people are trying to blow this cup out of proportion and some are dismissing it. IMO its good to win it, but it doesnt reflect or paper over the facts of unachievement within the county yr in yr out. I enjoyed the Junior games though, being to them all but remeber there are more important cups and finals to be won.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GalwayBayBoy

You've laid the bait out anyway but no mouse has come sniffing yet. ;D

magpie seanie

Would go along with that assessment Sligonian. I've always advocated Sligo making an effort in this competition and thankfully Kevin Walsh had the foresight to take it on. If we are honest our efforts in it in the past (and very recent past) have been fairly pathetic. In some of the euphoria and back slapping this need to be borne in mind.

One feature of Maye's free taking that sets him apart in my book was again in evidence (Tuam in the first half of the U-21 match v. Galway was another). His ability to drill a free accurately and low into the breeze is sensational. I haven't seen too many who can do it as consistently accurately. A great weapon to have.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 24, 2010, 12:04:37 AM
Would go along with that assessment Sligonian. I've always advocated Sligo making an effort in this competition and thankfully Kevin Walsh had the foresight to take it on. If we are honest our efforts in it in the past (and very recent past) have been fairly pathetic. In some of the euphoria and back slapping this need to be borne in mind.

One feature of Maye's free taking that sets him apart in my book was again in evidence (Tuam in the first half of the U-21 match v. Galway was another). His ability to drill a free accurately and low into the breeze is sensational. I haven't seen too many who can do it as consistently accurately. A great weapon to have.
His trajectory is unreal all right, if he develops physically and gives us more from play we are in serious shape. Sure seanie it wasnt so long ago we didnt even take the u21 seriously, i remember queenan on the radio apologising to families, fans at how poorly prepared they were in the 2000s even.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

EagleLord

Maybe Im being a bit dopey here, but what grade is Junior? Like who qualifies to play for that team?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: EagleLord on August 24, 2010, 10:03:01 PM
Maybe Im being a bit dopey here, but what grade is Junior? Like who qualifies to play for that team?

Seems to be different depending on the county. Some teams are more like county B selections while others mainly draw players only from the junior or intermediate ranks.

spectator

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 24, 2010, 12:04:37 AM

Quite right Seanie, he drilled a 45 low over the bar into the gale force wind during the first half of the final in Markievicz too. As you said, even some of the really top notch freetakers will still put them up in the air where the wind will take them.

Congrats to Sligo on yeer All-Ireland win. As the saying goes 'you haven't really won an All-Ireland until you've batin The Kingdom.' Welcome to the club  ;D

criostlinn

I have to take the bait. I just cant leave it. Yet again young man you are embarrassing yourself. Have a look at the 1997 junior final and the '67 u-21 final.

Oh sorry forgot the winky yokes ;) ;)

and these ones for magpie seanie and spectator.   ;D ;D ;D