Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Quote from: hardstation on September 28, 2014, 07:14:21 PM
Two terrible games. We stank the place out for most of the game but upped it enough with about 15 mins to go.

St Galls just couldn't score. Hurled well early on and only for missing a bucketful of good chances they should have been ahead at half time. Seemed to get frustrated in the second half as Cushendall picked off scores much easier.

Dire.
+1

Bonamargy

Quote from: keep her low this half on September 19, 2014, 09:34:46 PM
Quote from: Bonamargy on September 18, 2014, 10:25:02 PM
Senior: Cushendall by 10+
Intermediate: Rossa by 15+
Junior: Rasharkin by 6

Looks like 3 forgone conclusions I am afraid.

You don't watch much hurling do you?

Wasn't too far off apart from Glenravel causing a mini upset. Two bad games to watch today, Rossa should have won by more only for bad shooting, especially in the first half. St Galls were defensively sound but just don't have the striking to get the ball over the ball when they have worked it into a good position. Well done to Rossa and Cushendall on the day. Both will need to up it a gear in Ulster and beyond.

paddyjohn

ST Galls big players didn't show up. Stewart was not at the races and CJ just wanted to slabber. Kieran was the only player who really showed up. Cushendall will need to up it big style.

Rossa were poor also, do teams not do any shooting anymore?

Milltown Row2

Was very disappointed, didn't think we'd win before game started, odds against us but we well underperformed and a few of our lads will be very disappointed in how they played or didn't play. We dropped at least 8 or 9 balls into keepers hands and missed 5/6 very score-able frees, best team won on the day but wasn't exactly impressed with Cushendall, but seeing as Ballycran has shit in the nest against Portaferry they should, barring a feck up against the Derry Champions come through Ulster.

Rossa were very sluggish in the first half but were never going to lose and ran out handy enough against a stubborn Armoy team who collapsed after the goal in second half.

Rossa meet Keady who will not be as handy as Armoy

Mickey, I think Kieran gave a great display, and was far better than Carson, who's shot score rate was very poor
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mickey80 on September 28, 2014, 11:01:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 28, 2014, 10:41:03 PM
Mickey, I think Kieran gave a great display, and was far better than Carson, who's shot score rate was very poor

I agree but that's the type of hurler he is. I thought he was very effective all the same doing the simple things well. He's not everyone's cup of tea but thought he was one of Dalls better forwards. That said, Kieran was really good and came out on top lots of time as well. Thought Galls were holding on to the ball that extra 2 seconds longer than Cushendall were all over the pitch.  Cushendall missed two good goal chances in the first half as well but did the business when they needed to in the second half. Graffin was the best player on the pitch. 

At the end of the day, Galls only scored 6 times and the goal was a scrambled one. Fair play and all that for giving it their all but on the way, they didn't really beat anyone they shouldn't have and then came up really short against the deserved champions.

What was up with taking Jackson off? He didn't look well when he took off his helmet.  Too many balls dropping into the keepers hands. Big Anton would have got his hands to at least half of them.  Bad luck anyway.

As for Rossa. Younger players making lots of wrong choices but the experience should stand by them well enough too as will the winter hurling Ulster and AI experience but from what i saw today and before would have got ate and shit in the SHC.

Not sure what was wrong with Jackson, but once he came off we lost a bit around the middle. We needed a proper start and that meant winning and scoring the chances we had. With the wind we probably should have had Anton in FF. Again Cushendall were the better team and deservedly won the match.

On another note Aidan did really well, wasn't much complaining from Galls ones were I was standing (ok few headers squealing but that happens) sensible ones though he'd a decent game

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mickey80 on September 28, 2014, 11:24:57 PM
Agreed. Didn't hear much complaining where I was either.

I originally thought you meant Aidan Gallagher who also had a decent game.

He did in fits and starts, would have been a lot better with more training, he's living in Cardiff now so very hard for him to fit things in but decent effort all the same.

hurlingstick

Quote from: mickey80 on September 28, 2014, 10:37:54 PM
Wasn't nice to see a few Galls lads giving the manager a hard time when taken off. They had 50 mins to do something and didn't but felt the need to give the manager a hard time (one of the other lads McEreavy was squaring up to him). Nice to see Johnny Flynn come on and score straight away. I don't think he'd have missed many of those frees CJ missed. Very unimpressed with that fella. Classless in nearly every thing he does on the pitch.

Had they have taken their scores in the first half, it would have made the second half very interesting but Cushendall in reality didnt have to get out of second gear.  Good battle between Kieran McGourty and big Carson. Both had good games with Carson probably shading it when it came to who was more effective.  First game was awful.

This sums it up quite well. Thought Galls defended as well as any team in this year's championship but unfortunately they don't seem to have the firepower up front. They created plenty of chances but hit wide after wide. Think we also need to keep in mind that Dalls defence is mean!

Stewarty didn't get going, even missing frees. CJ missed a lot (his attitude is questionable) and McAreavey was rightly taken off (how many has he scored all championship?) Just like in the Sarsfields game.

Jackson McGreevey, having a bug, was a big blow! He gives his all, a great example to younger players.

St. Galls did well to keep Christy, Natty etc. Quiet. I'll not mention Carson as I don't rate him anyhow. 

btdtgtt

Intermediate:
Not taking anything away from Armoy whose work rate put their opponents to shame - but Rossa were atrocious.
Several glaring chances missed in the first half including a free that the player could have thrown over the bar. In the second half they ran out easy enough winners thanks to a pair of scrappy goals mainly. Rossa will need to improve hugley for the Ulster championship. I knew more of their players standing aroung me on the terrace than I did on the pitch - not sure if there was a fall out but they certainly lacked bite on the pitch. Surprising because I have been very impressed by their league results this year.

Senior:
I thought this match was over after 15minutes. Galls had yet to score and Cushendall had 1-3 or so on the board against the breeze. The missed chances from Galls summed up the difference bewteen the sides. CJ was terrible. And judging by the Galls support thats nothing new MR2? I think Cushendall have mire to come - they weren't pushed to produce it yesterday tho - gain no disrepesct to Galls but fair to say they teams just are not evenly matched. McGourty is a class act - even without the legs he once had. Young McGreevy was ill all week I hear and wasnt up to the game which is a blow for Galls and him personally.

All in all I thought finals day was a poor affair with neither game really bringing much of a spark. Ironically I thought both losing teams brought great support if anyone noticed?

bannside

Great photo in todays Irish news of James two boys. Nice touch.

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on September 29, 2014, 12:34:25 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on September 29, 2014, 09:43:55 AM
Intermediate:
Not taking anything away from Armoy whose work rate put their opponents to shame - but Rossa were atrocious.
Several glaring chances missed in the first half including a free that the player could have thrown over the bar. In the second half they ran out easy enough winners thanks to a pair of scrappy goals mainly. Rossa will need to improve hugley for the Ulster championship. I knew more of their players standing aroung me on the terrace than I did on the pitch - not sure if there was a fall out but they certainly lacked bite on the pitch.
Who was on the terrace that you thought should have been playing?

Gavin Bell?
Not sure if Hamill and Kettle hurling any more?
Close playing football but not hurling?

Good to see a young team in terms of the future but definitely going to have to up the game to qualify from Ulster me thinks.

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on September 29, 2014, 12:53:47 PM
Hasn't played all year and has retired from senior hurling. Anyone else?

No. Not that I know of.
4 players missed is sufficient to make a difference.

Tony Baloney

Is Beller sporting a hipster beard these days? Could have swore it was him I saw at Aldergrove a few weeks ago bearded and wearing skinny jeans. McCooey's eh!  ::)

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on September 29, 2014, 01:04:38 PM
Kettle is still playing a bit. Others are retired. They aren't young men anymore.

I am surprised that you didn't know more than 4 of the players we had on though.

I did know more than 4 players you had on - i just thought of the 4 not playing when I noticed Bell beside me.
No beard though Tony - leave us McCooey's fashion alone - you country boys will catch up!

theskull1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 29, 2014, 01:24:11 PM
Is Beller sporting a hipster beard these days? Could have swore it was him I saw at Aldergrove a few weeks ago bearded and wearing skinny jeans. McCooey's eh!  ::)

McGregor lookalike then?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera