Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizzy15

I think the lack of excitement is simply because winning the intermediate didn't prove anything to themselves or anyone else. This is not a slant on the achievement but when they entered it most people knew they were the best team in it.

They are in a bad position where they are finding it hard to compete at senior champ grade and too good for intermediate. To use a county analogy  it would be like say Offaly (who aren't competitive with the top 9 or 10 counties in Ireland) dropping down to play christy ring next year. You and I know they will win it. When they do win it, your not going to find Dooley or Carroll doing cartwheels across croke park. But they may have blooded 10 young hurlers in the process. Unless the right structures and direction are in place though the problem will start all over again the next year when they have to play at the top table.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Gizzy15 on October 02, 2014, 09:42:40 AM
You must have changed that post btdtgtt, was wondering how I got brought into the conversation.

I do think they were in the right championship btw. If that's their strongest team then they will need to build and mature over the next few years.

I think it was a bit of a talking point and a bit of ribbing about st galls being in the showpiece and as quoted by a st galls man "rossa being their curtain raiser" , that made some rossa people feel a bit unconfortable. But it is what it is.

I feel if Rossa put the right structures in place it will only be a small matter of time before those rolls are reversed. But a while yet before Big Ears is being brought to Shaws road.

Yes Gizzy - my bad! Sorry!

Agree fully on Rossa grading - they're position in between intermediate & senior this year is much like Antrim and others as well as Offaly! But entirely correct analogy in that there are championships within championships.
In terms of the comparison with St Galls - I'm not srue there;s much bewteen the Johnnies Rossa Galls or Sarsfields at the moment.
Without any dis-respect as I've alot of time for Galls - they're county final appearance was a result of a freak draw rather than anything else. Lets not kid ourselves on that.
But on that - none of the Belfast teams are anywhere near the level of the top sides. Lets hope and trust they are taking measures to get there.

hurlingstick

Hard to argue on your point regards Galls path to the final. Still if their 3 main forwards (McAreavey, Stewart and CJ) had taken their chances then it would have been very close. Defensively they were every bit as good as the Dall.

btdtgtt

Quote from: hurlingstick on October 02, 2014, 12:13:06 PM

Hard to argue on your point regards Galls path to the final. Still if their 3 main forwards (McAreavey, Stewart and CJ) had taken their chances then it would have been very close. Defensively they were every bit as good as the Dall.

If, If, If, - that's what separates teams.
I still think Cushendall had more in the tank - IF St Galls had have pushed them then Cushendall would have upped their game also.

The Slaughtneil game will be in Owenbeg I believe.
Hopefully no shocks.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 02, 2014, 01:04:49 PM
Quote from: hurlingstick on October 02, 2014, 12:13:06 PM

If, If, If, - that's what separates teams.
I still think Cushendall had more in the tank - IF St Galls had have pushed them then Cushendall would have upped their game also.

The Slaughtneil game will be in Owenbeg I believe.
Hopefully no shocks.

same for ourselves. if we had of taken our chances we could of beat Cushendall. we didn't and they deserved to win.

slaughtneill will give Cushendall their fill for this game, it wont be a big score between them if the dall win. they proved last year v lgiel they are capable of matching them
hurl like f**k boi!

CitySlicker11

Who are the two teams coming down from division one this year and the two teams going up from division two?

btdtgtt

I suspect sarsfields and ballygalget will be replaced by Rossa & clooney Gaels.
Although the picture in division one "B" is less clear.

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 03, 2014, 09:44:48 AM

Allegedly we've a glimmer of hope if we beat the Johnnies in our last game, might even be this weekend.

We'd be on the same points as Portaferry and better for/against in the two games we've played them in this year.

A year down a level mightn'd do any harm as serious rebuilding is needed.

maxpower

So Portaferry could get relegated the year the win the Championship and Ballycran win the league but not a championship match!

Will they continue with the split league? I liked it!
What happens next????

johnneycool

Quote from: maxpower on October 03, 2014, 10:07:59 AM
So Portaferry could get relegated the year the win the Championship and Ballycran win the league but not a championship match!

Will they continue with the split league? I liked it!

I like it too as although we're in a bad place at the minute, we got a taste of the higher level which is good for our youngsters and the second half of the league was do dog in every match.

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on October 03, 2014, 09:58:28 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on October 03, 2014, 09:44:48 AM

Allegedly we've a glimmer of hope if we beat the Johnnies in our last game, might even be this weekend.

We'd be on the same points as Portaferry and better for/against in the two games we've played them in this year.

A year down a level mightn'd do any harm as serious rebuilding is needed.

Interesting Johnny - hopefully the games get played before the weather turns. Fairer for all.
That Down championship is so unpredictable - league form means nothing whatsoever.

Seamroga in exile

Burt giving rossa their fill of it from what I hear.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

btdtgtt

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 05, 2014, 04:44:45 PM

Sounds like Rossa got out of jail so to speak!

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 05, 2014, 08:41:59 PM

I wasn't at it so I can't say. I've a friend who is a setanta club man. He was keeping me informed. He said that they pulled away handy in the end.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

btdtgtt

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 05, 2014, 10:01:20 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on October 05, 2014, 08:41:59 PM

I wasn't at it so I can't say. I've a friend who is a setanta club man. He was keeping me informed. He said that they pulled away handy in the end.

I wouldn't call 4points "handy".
The Rossa men I spoke to were not very positive either.
Hopefully lift their game as I would think Keady will be a stern test.
Glenravel still going well.
Cushendall vs Slaughtneil anyone?