Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumanee 1

dublin still have alot to prove and thats even if they beat derry,fact is they have not beat any of the top teams with this 3 in a row team and you can argue all day "we beat them by more than you" crap but bottom line the dubs have shit the nest when it really matters.

DUBSFORSAM1

Ah well....Derry have been knocked out by Leinster teams in 05/06 so Dublin might as well keep the tradition in 07!!!!! How this has happened as Derry are better than Leinster teams I don't know!!!

STREET FIGHTER

Its simple lads. as previously pointed out ulster football is more of a mindfield. provinicial titles have meant nothing other than bragging rights since the back door has been introduced. the best team will win on sinday and they are both good teams. am very worried by the massive support the dubs have plus the refs decisions though.

Gnevin

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on August 09, 2007, 09:12:54 AM
Its simple lads. as previously pointed out ulster football is more of a mindfield. provinicial titles have meant nothing other than bragging rights since the back door has been introduced. the best team will win on sinday and they are both good teams. am very worried by the massive support the dubs have plus the refs decisions though.
Tell that to sligo
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on August 09, 2007, 08:54:10 AM
dublin still have alot to prove and thats even if they beat derry,fact is they have not beat any of the top teams with this 3 in a row team and you can argue all day "we beat them by more than you" crap but bottom line the dubs have shit the nest when it really matters.

I'm not saying anthing about Dublin, but surely the "top 3" you are referring to has been well and truly done away with.
Never mind Armagh, even Tyrone cannot see themselves in this group anymore!
Ask me holy bollix

STREET FIGHTER

i dont want to talk about teams that are no longer in contention gnevin.  but answer me this- Would sligo trade their provincial title to be in the semi's!?- honest answer required

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on August 09, 2007, 09:21:04 AM
i dont want to talk about teams that are no longer in contention gnevin.  but answer me this- Would sligo trade their provincial title to be in the semi's!?- honest answer required

Streetfighter...

No - I don't think they would.....

I am glad that Dublin have hte approach that if your looking to win the All-Ireland you should look to be the best in your own province first....

Gnevin

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 09, 2007, 09:32:50 AM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on August 09, 2007, 09:21:04 AM
i dont want to talk about teams that are no longer in contention gnevin.  but answer me this- Would sligo trade their provincial title to be in the semi's!?- honest answer required

Streetfighter...

No - I don't think they would.....

I am glad that Dublin have hte approach that if your looking to win the All-Ireland you should look to be the best in your own province first....
What he said
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

STREET FIGHTER

lads if dublin dont win leinster 08  and go on to win the all-ireland there wouldnt be a peep out of ye's. An all ireland title is an all ireland title regardless of who hold's the provincial.  and sligo would defo trade it. sure they have they easy side of the draw

screenexile

QuoteI am glad that Dublin have hte approach that if your looking to win the All-Ireland you should look to be the best in your own province first....

What county doesn't try and win their Provincial cship??? It's the easiest route to an All Ireland so obviously most teams try and do this.

I think the point that SF is trying to make is that you would trade your provincial cship to make it into the semi finals of the AI with a chance for the big prize... it would be stupid not to!

orangeman

How are tickets in Derry - did the clubs get a big enough allocation ? Any complaints about tickets ( apart from the fact that Dublin could have sold 200,000 on their own ) ?

Drumanee 1

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 09, 2007, 09:20:29 AM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on August 09, 2007, 08:54:10 AM

I'm not saying anthing about Dublin, but surely the "top 3" you are referring to has been well and truly done away with.
Never mind Armagh, even Tyrone cannot see themselves in this group anymore!

read my post,i said top teams,meaning who ever go on to contest the final

Gnevin

Quote from: screenexile on August 09, 2007, 09:46:44 AM
QuoteI am glad that Dublin have hte approach that if your looking to win the All-Ireland you should look to be the best in your own province first....

What county doesn't try and win their Provincial cship??? It's the easiest route to an All Ireland so obviously most teams try and do this.

I think the point that SF is trying to make is that you would trade your provincial cship to make it into the semi finals of the AI with a chance for the big prize... it would be stupid not to!
But surely that logic could be applied to the championship even before the back door , who won't give up  the smaller prise for a crack at the big one?

screenexile

Have a spare ticket for the match if anyone needs one send me a PM.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on August 09, 2007, 10:02:21 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 09, 2007, 09:46:44 AM

But surely that logic could be applied to the championship even before the back door , who won't give up  the smaller prise for a crack at the big one?
I really don't understand that statement Gnevin.  Btw, still waiting for an answer on what NFL division Dublin (a level or probably 2 ahead of Derry)are in.
As for Sligo, I reckon they are happier with the provincial than a semi-final place, but who knows.  For Derry it's not so simple, I honestly believe that winning a provincial means nothing more than a guaranteed quarter final place, as I'm sure do the Dubs at this stage.