Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Lynchboy

We had that bad day out against Offaly already and the ref tried to screw us in that game also... ;D

Will Hunting

I think most of the Dublin cockiness (2 levels ahead of Derry etc.) comes from the fact that they believe that their forward line is capable of winning this match by itself (it can't be their defence). This is fair enough as they are blessed with one or two of the top, in-form forwards in the country (Brogan, Keaney). They forget however, that they are up against an excellent Derry defence (well, full-back line anyway). Most Dubs probably haven't even heard of Michael McGoldrick for example. They just expect their team to go out and do the business. Derry haven't even won Ulster in 9 years so what threat could they possibly be?

Reading that Shane Ryan article on another thread, it said that Dublin beat Tyrone in Healy Park (NFL, 2006) and that "nobody beats Tyrone in Healy Park". It forgets to mention of course that Derry beat Tyrone there last year by 6 points (in a Championship match). What I'm trying to say is that many Dublin fans/pundits/media etc. have a blinkered belief in their own team's ability. Dublin are favourites on Saturday and rightly so, but it's too easy to dismiss Derry because they faltered against Monaghan (and Longford last year). Would Dublin have beaten Armagh, Mayo and Laois in consecutive games? They might not even have got past Round 1! But come Saturday, this is absolutely irrelevant.

Gnevin

Quote from: Will Hunting on August 09, 2007, 02:15:01 PM
. have a blinkered belief in their own team's ability. Dublin are favourites on Saturday and rightly so, but it's too easy to dismiss Derry because they faltered against Monaghan (and Longford last year). Would Dublin have beaten Armagh, Mayo and Laois in consecutive games? They might not even have got past Round 1! But come Saturday, this is absolutely irrelevant.
I've yet to see anyone dismiss Derry most have Derry could beat Dublin but Dublin should be stronger? Show me where someone has say Derry have no chance?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Dublin are as cocky as a brothelful of Roman warriors just back from a tortuous expedition to Alexandra!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

DUBSFORSAM1

I think most of the Dublin cockiness (2 levels ahead of Derry etc.) comes from the fact that they believe that their forward line is capable of winning this match by itself (it can't be their defence). This is fair enough as they are blessed with one or two of the top, in-form forwards in the country (Brogan, Keaney). They forget however, that they are up against an excellent Derry defence (well, full-back line anyway). Most Dubs probably haven't even heard of Michael McGoldrick for example. They just expect their team to go out and do the business. Derry haven't even won Ulster in 9 years so what threat could they possibly be?

Reading that Shane Ryan article on another thread, it said that Dublin beat Tyrone in Healy Park (NFL, 2006) and that "nobody beats Tyrone in Healy Park". It forgets to mention of course that Derry beat Tyrone there last year by 6 points (in a Championship match). What I'm trying to say is that many Dublin fans/pundits/media etc. have a blinkered belief in their own team's ability. Dublin are favourites on Saturday and rightly so, but it's too easy to dismiss Derry because they faltered against Monaghan (and Longford last year). Would Dublin have beaten Armagh, Mayo and Laois in consecutive games? They might not even have got past Round 1! But come Saturday, this is absolutely irrelevant.

Will Hunting...

Dublin fans view as to why they are likely to win is that while yes they have Brogan/Keaney they also have Brogan/Vaughan which boosts our scoring power and Vaughan especially is proving deadly with frees/45's etc which we have been missing for the last few years....we then have the likes of Quinn/Bonnar etc now on the bench rather than starting....so we have a far stronger attack than last year....
Defensively we also are a bit stronger than last year with McConnell starting to get used to full back....

That Derry defence still struggled when Laois could kick high ball into the forwards which Dublin will do more of...

The view would be that Dublin have more scoring options than Derry, are more mobile around the middle of the field and liable to win more kick-outs etc and also Derry will not be used to the crowd/atmosphere whereas Dublin are...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 09, 2007, 02:28:55 PM
....we then have the likes of Quinn/Bonnar etc now on the bench
oh good god !
dont start me off !
I'd not be boasting here..! :o

I agree, two very strong defences. Midfield are both very strong/good in different ways.
Derry have better scoring forwards now than when we won the All Ireland in 1993  - when we relied on scores from midfield and half back line.

it will be interesting...

will see if the bad game was the offaly match for Dublin..........

STREET FIGHTER

Will Hunting...

Dublin fans view as to why they are likely to win is that while yes they have Brogan/Keaney they also have Brogan/Vaughan which boosts our scoring power and Vaughan especially is proving deadly with frees/45's etc which we have been missing for the last few years....we then have the likes of Quinn/Bonnar etc now on the bench rather than starting....so we have a far stronger attack than last year....
Defensively we also are a bit stronger than last year with McConnell starting to get used to full back....

That Derry defence still struggled when Laois could kick high ball into the forwards which Dublin will do more of...

The view would be that Dublin have more scoring options than Derry, are more mobile around the middle of the field and liable to win more kick-outs etc and also Derry will not be used to the crowd/atmosphere whereas Dublin are...

you seem to be totally blinkered.  Is there any good footballer's on the derry team? who from the derry team would make the dublin team for example!?

screenexile

Derry's entire FB line, Doc, Muldoon, Bradley, Kevin McGuckin and going on current form I'd say Paul Murphy as well probably!

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 09, 2007, 02:50:35 PM
oh good god !
dont start me off !

I agree, two very strong defences. Midfield are both very strong/good in different ways.
Derry have better scoring forwards now than when we won stole the All Ireland in 1993  - when we relied on scores from midfield and half back line.

it will be interesting...

will see if the bad game was the offaly match for Dublin..........
;D
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Will Hunting

Quote from: Gnevin on August 09, 2007, 02:19:23 PM
. have a blinkered belief in their own team's ability. Dublin are favourites on Saturday and rightly so, but it's too easy to dismiss Derry because they faltered against Monaghan (and Longford last year). Would Dublin have beaten Armagh, Mayo and Laois in consecutive games? They might not even have got past Round 1! But come Saturday, this is absolutely irrelevant.
I've yet to see anyone dismiss Derry most have Derry could beat Dublin but Dublin should be stronger? Show me where someone has say Derry have no chance?

In fairness Gnevin, I never siad that anyone said Derry had no chance. But i'll show you a few quotes that are fairly dismissive of Derry's chances of winning:

-----
Gnevin:
"It's hard to see Derry beating Dublin , Dublin are a level if not 2 above"
"Derry have come from no where
Dublin are simply in my opinion a level above Derry."

Indiana:
"Does any derry fan believe they'll win if bradley underperforms. of course they don't."
"Hayes is right if i were dublin i would put 2 men on bradley because he has to have a massive game for derry to win"

Tankie:
"As i have said before, peopel cannot honest look at Derry and call them a better team, they lost to Monaghan, beat what appears to be a spent Armagh team and struggled to beat a poor Laois team."
-----

By the way, I hope Dublin do double-mark Bradley as it will play striaght into Derry's hands. We do have other forwards y'know.

DubsforSam1,
Most of what you say (esp. the bit about occassion/atmosphere etc.) is exactly why I would have Dublin favourites for this game. Dublin have an extremely strong attack, but I hope our defence can cope with it. The game against Laois became too open for Derry's liking and in the end Laois scored 2-11 (something similar to what they scored against Dublin). But we were more than capable of outscoring them. However, it is too short-sighted to view one single game. Derry conceded 9 points against Armagh and 1-6 against Mayo (whom Dublin conceded 1-16 against last year). A good defensive performance can provide us with a platform for victory, as Derry then seek to target Dublin's defence.

As for you Street Fighter:
As Screen says, yous would take our whole full-back line:  McGuckin, McCloy and Lockhart and yous would be grateful of McGoldrick to replace Cahill. Yeah Paul Murphy, Paddy Bradley, Eoin Bradley and Muldoon also, and maybe even Fergal Doherty. Btw, thanks for illustrating my point about being blinkered!

Gnevin

Quote from: Will Hunting on August 09, 2007, 03:05:30 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 09, 2007, 02:19:23 PM

In fairness Gnevin, I never siad that anyone said Derry had no chance. But i'll show you a few quotes that are fairly dismissive of Derry's chances of winning:

-----
Gnevin:
"It's hard to see Derry beating Dublin , Dublin are a level if not 2 above"
"Derry have come from no where
Dublin are simply in my opinion a level above Derry."

Indiana:
"Does any derry fan believe they'll win if bradley underperforms. of course they don't."
"Hayes is right if i were dublin i would put 2 men on bradley because he has to have a massive game for derry to win"

Tankie:
"As i have said before, peopel cannot honest look at Derry and call them a better team, they lost to Monaghan, beat what appears to be a spent Armagh team and struggled to beat a poor Laois team."
-----

By the way, I hope Dublin do double-mark Bradley as it will play striaght into Derry's hands. We do have other forwards y'know.

DubsforSam1,
Most of what you say (esp. the bit about occassion/atmosphere etc.) is exactly why I would have Dublin favourites for this game. Dublin have an extremely strong attack, but I hope our defence can cope with it. The game against Laois became too open for Derry's liking and in the end Laois scored 2-11 (something similar to what they scored against Dublin). But we were more than capable of outscoring them. However, it is too short-sighted to view one single game. Derry conceded 9 points against Armagh and 1-6 against Mayo (whom Dublin conceded 1-16 against last year). A good defensive performance can provide us with a platform for victory, as Derry then seek to target Dublin's defence.

As for you Street Fighter:
As Screen says, yous would take our whole full-back line:  McGuckin, McCloy and Lockhart and yous would be grateful of McGoldrick to replace Cahill. Yeah Paul Murphy, Paddy Bradley, Eoin Bradley and Muldoon also, and maybe even Fergal Doherty. Btw, thanks for illustrating my point about being blinkered!

Come for f**k sake we sport one of teams playing are you surprised where are leaning toward Dublin .

DUBSFORSAM1

oh good god !
dont start me off !

Lynchboy - if your going to take a quote out you should take the whole quote rather than just a section of it....

we then have the likes of Quinn/Bonnar etc now on the bench (rather than starting this year).....it makes a big difference...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on August 09, 2007, 03:06:50 PM
Come for f**k sake we sport one of teams playing are you surprised where are leaning toward Dublin .
you lads should see the stick I am getting when down coaching the minors regarding the upcomming game on Sat.

I have the other culchie coaches in knots laughing when I tell the minors that they will have plenty of time for football in the coming weeks as Dublin will no longer be in the Championship !  :D

BTW - Dublin lads will want to watch out for the name 'Cian Mullins'. Hard to figure out just why he is so good, but he hasnt been bettered at midfield this season yet - even against lads 6'4" and 6' 5" - he's only 6' 1" himself. Was left off (disgracefully) the dub u17 dev squad until recently. Scored 0-7 v Cavan and 0-3 v longford (I thjnk it was) in his first two games for the Dubs. Future star if he avoids inj (but he is starting to pick these up due to his physical footballing style - mix of Brian mullins - no relation-  and shane ryan).

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 09, 2007, 03:21:24 PM
oh good god !
dont start me off !

Lynchboy - if your going to take a quote out you should take the whole quote rather than just a section of it....

we then have the likes of Quinn/Bonnar etc now on the bench (rather than starting this year).....it makes a big difference...
jeez man
have you no sense of humour...
:o

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 09, 2007, 03:24:20 PM
(but he is starting to pick these up due to his physical footballing style - mix of Brian mullins - no relation-  and shane ryan).
Nothing to do  with a bitter antidub manager who is just out to ruin Dublin's prospects and plays him in every game?  :P