NFL Div 2 2013

Started by Croí na hÉireann, January 30, 2013, 03:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: seafoid on March 18, 2013, 07:28:53 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 18, 2013, 06:31:09 PM
Looking good for Westmeath at the moment. Nearly there just to hold the head now!
don't they still have to play derry ?

Last game is Derry V Iarmhi

If Westmeath lose to Derry & Armagh - anyone of 5 teams could be on 9 points - Westmeath are close but as was seen in other years - last round of matches in this league will decide the final outcome. Armagh have always given Westmeath a roasting over the years and no doubt will be out to fight hard for their position in their league. Only thing confirmed in this league at this stage is Longford are down and Armagh can not get promoted

armaghniac

QuoteArmagh have always given Westmeath a roasting over the years

Not really. Was 2008 our last visit to Mullingar, this was a crap Armagh performance. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rodney trotter

Heslin is a serious player, Westmeath must have been delighted when he returned from Oz last year.

Croí na hÉireann

Another great comeback from Westmeath yesterday. Was very impressed with Wexford, they have landed on their feet with Aidan O'Brien, a Westmeath man. He has them well organised and drilled. The balls they were playing into their two man full forward line were inch perfect and I think they only had two wides in the first half. Us on the other hand had a rake of them. What kept us in the game, again, was a brilliantly taken goal from Ciarán Curley. Good to see we are trying to work the goal opportunity and taking them when they are on. Went in down only two points.

Wexford made the better start to the second half and then Daithi Waters handed us the initiative by striking Heslin in front of the linesman. He had been needling at him all game, wasn't getting the reaction he was hoping for and in the end lost the rag himself. Heslin is a targeted man now and has been working at this aspect of his game. Doesn't react to the needling anymore while at the same time standing up for himself. If he continues to develop at this rate he will be to Westmeath what Dermot Early was to Roscommon.

The introduction of Sharry and Dessie after the sending off was also key. Even though Wexford pushed the gap out to five we then started to settled into playing with the extra man. Sharrys deliveries are top class and even though Gaffey hasn't done much wrong in the center back position we need Sharry in there. Once we pegged back Wexford (courtesy of a brilliantly taken penalty from Heslin, top left corner at force) you could see Wexford's spirit breaking, like Laois the week before. Fair play to Glennon as well, took his goals expertly, something that hasn't been a strong point before. The goals at the end put a gloss on the scoreboard and this was a tighter match than the scoreboard suggests. However good to win a game well after earlier score differences in the league deserved to be wider.

Wexford have to play Laois and Galway so only possible for four teams to end up on 9 points. We should keep the foot down for Armagh on Sunday, secure promotion and then give run outs up in Derry. Keep the only unbeaten run across the four divisions going.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

wexman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 19, 2013, 10:08:46 AM
Wexford made the better start to the second half and then Daithi Waters handed us the initiative by striking Heslin in front of the linesman. He had been needling at him all game, wasn't getting the reaction he was hoping for and in the end lost the rag himself. Heslin is a targeted man now and has been working at this aspect of his game. Doesn't react to the needling anymore while at the same time standing up for himself. If he continues to develop at this rate he will be to Westmeath what Dermot Early was to Roscommon.

ah here, this is complete and utter rubbish. at least call it right if you are going to do so at all. Waters was not needling Heslin all game, Waters was dominating midfield. Heslin got his only point from play after striking Waters off the ball and went through unmarked whilst Waters was left on the ground. Heslin was doing his job of stopping Waters making runs through the middle, he was holding him back off the ball through out.

And then, if you had actually seen the incident, Heslin made a run for a free, and Waters pulled him back. Heslin stopped and the 2 lads semi squared up, Heslin pushed Waters, Waters pushed him back, in the chest too, and Heslin went down clutching his face. He was not struck, and I dont knwo what the linesman was at calling it a red card. It was a nothing incident and both players should have been told to cop on with the pulling off the ball.

Heslin was completely ineffective all through the first half, bar his point where he left his man on the ground. He is a good player, no doubt about that, but if you are going to comment on things, at least have the decency to be honest in your appraisal.

Westmeath are in a great position now, but that red card yesterday was the defining moment unfortunately, and our best player to that point being wrongly sent off changed the game. I dont know if Wexford would have seen it out, but they were playing well and were 5 points up. I could talk about a dodgy penalty, or a third man tackle for a point scored, or a thrown handpass for a goal, but that would be too many sour grapes. The ref was fussy, and both sides got easy enough frees. But the red card was plain wrong. I'd call Waters on it if he was wrong, he has been sent off before for doing stupid things, but yesterday Heslin was the instigator, and eventaully a dive got his man sent off.

Croí na hÉireann

Wow. Talk about 2 different views of the same incident, I couldn't disagree with it more. The only part of it that I could agree with is the ref being fussy (what ref isn't nowadays) and where James Dolan "ran into" the corner back.

Regarding the incident, it's impossible to push a player repeatedly with clenched fists, whether it be in the chest or anywhere else. Heslin didn't go down clutching his face.

wexman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 19, 2013, 11:31:59 AM
Wow. Talk about 2 different views of the same incident, I couldn't disagree with it more. The only part of it that I could agree with is the ref being fussy (what ref isn't nowadays) and where James Dolan "ran into" the corner back.

Regarding the incident, it's impossible to push a player repeatedly with clenched fists, whether it be in the chest or anywhere else. Heslin didn't go down clutching his face.

Waters' red card has been rescinded due to video evidence. What say you know?

For Wexford, its ridiculous. The game changed because of it, and we are now deep in a relegation battle when leading a game by 5 points and an incorrect red card cost us dearly of being in the promotion race. At least we have Waters back in the fold to play the last 2 games, but its a sickener really and it should never have happened.

http://www.wexfordgaa.ie/2013/03/waters-cleared-of-red-card/

Daití Waters was cleared of the Red Card he received in Monday's game versus Westmeath and is free to play against Galway on Sunday next in Rd 6 of the NFL Div 2.

His sending off when Wexford were 5 points ahead was a 'game changer' and may well have cost Wexford footballers a chance of promotion. They need a victory on Sunday next to get back in the hunt.

Syferus

Ah Jesus. Heslin becoming the Dermot Earley of Westmeath? Give the lad a chance to get his feet under himself first.

Wildweasel74

he had a really good game against Derry too, Waters, a player with big potential. heslin looked a very good player when derry played westmeath last year too

Orior

Armagh team to face Westmeath the same as that which lost to Louth.

Looks like a handy gig for the lakelanders, so best if you save your stars and give all the fringe players a run out.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

All of a Sludden

Louth team to play Derry
Neil Gallagher
Padraig Rath
Dessie Finnegan
Gerard Hoey
John O'Brien
Derek Crilly
Adrian Reid
Ronan Carroll
Brian Donnelly
Andy McDonnell
Mark Brennan
Brian White
Darren Clarke
Shane Lennon
Kevin Rogers
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: wexman on March 21, 2013, 09:09:55 PM

For Wexford, its ridiculous. The game changed because of it, and we are now deep in a relegation battle when leading a game by 5 points and an incorrect red card cost us dearly of being in the promotion race. At least we have Waters back in the fold to play the last 2 games, but its a sickener really and it should never have happened.

Daití Waters was cleared of the Red Card he received in Monday's game versus Westmeath and is free to play against Galway on Sunday next in Rd 6 of the NFL Div 2.

His sending off when Wexford were 5 points ahead was a 'game changer' and may well have cost Wexford footballers a chance of promotion. They need a victory on Sunday next to get back in the hunt.

Would love to see that footage and what precisely he got off on. I'll stand by my eyes and those of the linesman who was looking straight at them.

wexman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 22, 2013, 02:01:56 PM
Quote from: wexman on March 21, 2013, 09:09:55 PM

Would love to see that footage and what precisely he got off on. I'll stand by my eyes and those of the linesman who was looking straight at them.

well as you say, we have 2 different views on it. I was looking directly at it, Waters does not strike at any time, and his hands dont go near Heslins face. Video evidence has proved he shouldnt have got a red card, but yet you still think differently.

boro

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 19, 2013, 10:08:46 AM

Heslin struck Waters when is back was turned in the first half (he scored a point immediately afterwards as Waters was still on the ground). That was the reason for the needle. As far as I know the video evidence showed that the linesman was looking into the crowd when Water's pushed Heslin, hence none of the officials actually saw the incident. Crazy sending off. You can see why Pat Flanning said it wasn't a red card. 

Maroon Heaven

Westmeath promoted - still unbeaten - savage stuff