All Ireland Semi Final: The Dubs v Cavan, 1730 Saturday 5 December 2020

Started by Hound, November 24, 2020, 08:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 06, 2020, 01:19:30 PM
I love the whinings of the loser of a Sunday morning

Doesn't every winner! It's even more enjoyable when you win with virtually the last kick of the game.

Itchy

I want to congratulate Dublin on their win, by far the best team. I am not here to make excuses for Cavan. I was disappointed in our 1st half performance as we coughed up a number of poor unforced turnovers which Dublin punished. Their superior fitness, S&C and power meant they would always pull away in the second half. They have exceptional players and I cannot see anyone beating them.

Regarding the funding they get. They have more people, more schools so they get more funding so that these people can be mobilised into the GAA. I am ok with that. I don't think funding is the problem. I think what the Dubs did with their funding is worth looking at too cos they've clearly spent well.

For me the fundamental issue is this, there are 32 counties all of varying size and population. Last night we had a county with 1.2m people playing a county of 80k. Now I make a rough case that if 1% of the population has the potential to be an elite athlethe then Dublin has 12,000 and Cavan has 800. Of course Dublin with a lot of soccer and Rugby has not access to all 12000 but I believe the funding they have and they way they spent it means they have more access than ever before. While in Cavan (just as an example) there is probably more pressure on the 800 we have today than ever as other sports muscle in a bit on GAA.

I dont think Dublin are doing anything wrong and at the end of the day the only way to balance above is really to split areas into different population centres or allow counties to "buy in" players or have super regional teams. None of these will be very popular with most people. So I dont know what is to be done if anything.

For now I just congratulate the Dubs and wish them and their supporters well in the final.

The Hill is Blue

Well done the Dubs on reaching another All Ireland final. Your performance last night was once again classic. As a team you have shown that Gaelic Football when played at the highest level is the equal of any other football game in the world - and something of which we should all be proud.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on December 06, 2020, 01:38:02 PM
Well done the Dubs on reaching another All Ireland final. Your performance last night was once again classic. As a team you have shown that Gaelic Football when played at the highest level is the equal of any other football game in the world - and something of which we should all be proud.

Would it be a thought that Dublin might take on the Aussie Rules Champions?

dublin7

Fenton and Kilkenny having their own personal battle for POTY. Fenton is best midfielder I've been seen in football in the last 30 years. He can do everything. High fielding, tackling, shooting and a leader as well.

Everyone crying bitter tears over Dublin's domination don't care about the championship. They only care that their own county can't beat the dubs and hate that not only are the Dublin footballers supremely talented but they are also down to earth normal lads.

If all the Dublin haters really cared about the championship they'd be looking at what could be done for the likes of Wicklow, Leitrim, Clare etc who compete every year in a provincial championship they have no chance of ever winning and normally get well beaten by their opponents.

Giving counties like them something to realistically aim for would be more beneficial to GAA overall

Dinny Breen

Classic?

Dublin didn't get out of 3rd gear. Cavan peaked emotionally against Donegal, impossible to repeat. With no emotional energy to draw upon Cavan never had a chance.

Dublin don't need emotional energy, they are the most intrinsically motivated  group of gaa players in history. They have created a high performance culture driven by the players for the players. Gavin, Sherlock, and now Farnell just tweak the tools. The challenges for a Dublin player are 1. Make the squad 2. Stay in the squad. 3. Make the team. 4. Stay in the team.

Winning All-Ireland's is not their motivation, that's a by-product of their mentality. They remind me of Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, The All Black's.....incredible culture really.
#newbridgeornowhere

BennyCake

Really? This is not anti Dublin, but I don't find watching Dublin exciting. Yes, they are very effective at what they do, very economical when it comes to scoring, but they're very methodical, there's little room for spontaneous moments, off the cuff moments of magic. I like to see skill, risk taking, moments of magic that gets you off your seat. I don't see that with Dublin.

People rave on about Brian Fenton being the best midfielder ever. He doesn't come close to the genius of Jack O'Shea or Anthony Tohill.

PS. The best football game in the world right now is Australian Rules. It's what Gaelic football was once upon a time. It's way ahead of our game.

thewobbler

People rave on about Brian Fenton being the best midfielder ever. He doesn't come close to the genius of Jack O'Shea or Anthony Tohill.

That's misty-eyed nonsense

SouthDublinBro

This is a major overreaction. The likes of Donegal, Tyrone and probably Monaghan would have run us a lot closer. Cavan have no experience at this level. Why should Dublin be attacked for putting a team that was clearly out of their depth to the sword?

Tubberman

Quote from: dublin7 on December 06, 2020, 01:51:46 PM
Fenton and Kilkenny having their own personal battle for POTY. Fenton is best midfielder I've been seen in football in the last 30 years. He can do everything. High fielding, tackling, shooting and a leader as well.

Everyone crying bitter tears over Dublin's domination don't care about the championship. They only care that their own county can't beat the dubs and hate that not only are the Dublin footballers supremely talented but they are also down to earth normal lads.

If all the Dublin haters really cared about the championship they'd be looking at what could be done for the likes of Wicklow, Leitrim, Clare etc who compete every year in a provincial championship they have no chance of ever winning and normally get well beaten by their opponents.

Giving counties like them something to realistically aim for would be more beneficial to GAA overall

I presume that was posted with your tongue firmly in your cheek.
The Dublin supporters who refuse to acknowledge that there is a serious problem are the ones who don't care about the championship.
The Leinster championship has been dead for several years now, with former players recommending their counties boycott the competition.
The All-Ireland championship as a whole is on the same trajectory, it's incredibly obvious and equally incredible some people don't see that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on December 06, 2020, 02:06:39 PM

Really? This is not anti Dublin, but I don't find watching Dublin exciting. Yes, they are very effective at what they do, very economical when it comes to scoring, but they're very methodical, there's little room for spontaneous moments, off the cuff moments of magic. I like to see skill, risk taking, moments of magic that gets you off your seat. I don't see that with Dublin.

PS. The best football game in the world right now is Australian Rules. It's what Gaelic football was once upon a time. It's way ahead of our game.
Half the problem with Gaelic football it seems there are people out there who are intent on turning it into Aussie Rules

Aussie Rules can be decent to watch at times but much more often it's turgid

Angelo

Quote from: BennyCake on December 06, 2020, 02:06:39 PM

They're excellent but they are not exciting.

All their points last night were worked until such a point as the shooter was close to the goal with relatively little pressure on him. Their physical prowess, pace and powers allows them to create these opportunities endlessly. They don't take on risky efforts, they don't have to rely on moments of genius or flair, they are methodical and systematic.

The last time I saw Dublin hitting a number of unbelievable scores in a game was oddly enough when Donegal beat them in 2014.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

sid waddell

Quote from: Tubberman on December 06, 2020, 02:25:15 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 06, 2020, 01:51:46 PM

I presume that was posted with your tongue firmly in your cheek.
The Dublin supporters who refuse to acknowledge that there is a serious problem are the ones who don't care about the championship.
The Leinster championship has been dead for several years now, with former players recommending their counties boycott the competition.
The All-Ireland championship as a whole is on the same trajectory, it's incredibly obvious and equally incredible some people don't see that.
Again, the Homer Simpson mantra - "if something is difficult, it's not worth doing"

This literally is what the attitude is

And it should be mercilessly ridiculed - it deserves to be, that's all it deserves

If you desire to be a loser, you'll be a loser

Milltown Row2

Did you watch the Meath game?

They scored over 20 odd points at will last night, that's down to the opposition, if Tyrone could score like that you'd be jizzing all over yourself. Stop talking rubbish
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea