All Ireland Semi Final: The Dubs v Cavan, 1730 Saturday 5 December 2020

Started by Hound, November 24, 2020, 08:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: reillycavan on December 06, 2020, 03:16:08 PM
Congratulations to Mickey and the entire Cavan panel and back room team for the past few weeks. The joy pride and hope for the future you have restored in cavan football is unbelievable. My daughter watched the match in the meadow view yesterday evening and every cavan score kickout won block made was cheered to the roof even when we were losing by 9 or 10 points. As she said it was just a real joyous occasion and they were so proud that cavan were a part of it, Compare that to Dessie Farrell interview on RTE at nine o clock after their victory. You would think that all belonging to him had just died he looked shattered and was spouting on about getting ready for the final and using video analysis to try and eliminate the mistakes they made. You would think they had just got hammered. This is not sour grapes dont get me wrong Dublin are a great team and could have beaten us by much more but you can see where they are going. They were far from happy with that victory or any victory and are striving all the time for absolute perfection no kick outs lost no turn overs no wides and they have the resources to go close to attaining this.This is an amateur sport and is also there to be enjoyed and have the craic and enjoyment along the way. Dublin are taking this away from the game they are becoming close to robots no risk taken no pass given no attempt at scoring unless it is 100 percent on even if it means retaining possession for up to 5 minutes to achieve this. It will be next to impossible for any other team to achieve this as this is a fully professional outfit in every sense of the word. I also dont know if i would like to see other teams trying to attain this next to impossible professional approach as we are 31 amateurs teams with one fully professional outfit who from the outside do not seem to be getting much joy or sense of satisfaction from their dominance look at Cluxtons face after they won the leinster you would think he got three teeth pulled without an anaesthetic.

"Ah sure would ye not just let us win?"
::)

J70

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on December 06, 2020, 02:22:32 PM
This is a major overreaction. The likes of Donegal, Tyrone and probably Monaghan would have run us a lot closer. Cavan have no experience at this level. Why should Dublin be attacked for putting a team that was clearly out of their depth to the sword?

Closer being the key word.

Dublin would still beat all those teams with minimum fuss. Just because it could be as "close" as six or seven points doesn't mean that Dublin wouldn't win all those games more than nine times out ten.

Two defeats in the last ten seasons and counting. One of which they almost pulled back a ten point deficit, the other where a single tactical weakness was exploited by a good coach.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on December 06, 2020, 02:48:35 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 06, 2020, 02:42:40 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 06, 2020, 02:33:15 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 06, 2020, 02:25:15 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 06, 2020, 01:51:46 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on December 06, 2020, 01:38:02 PM
Well done the Dubs on reaching another All Ireland final. Your performance last night was once again classic. As a team you have shown that Gaelic Football when played at the highest level is the equal of any other football game in the world - and something of which we should all be proud.
Fenton and Kilkenny having their own personal battle for POTY. Fenton is best midfielder I've been seen in football in the last 30 years. He can do everything. High fielding, tackling, shooting and a leader as well.

Everyone crying bitter tears over Dublin's domination don't care about the championship. They only care that their own county can't beat the dubs and hate that not only are the Dublin footballers supremely talented but they are also down to earth normal lads.

If all the Dublin haters really cared about the championship they'd be looking at what could be done for the likes of Wicklow, Leitrim, Clare etc who compete every year in a provincial championship they have no chance of ever winning and normally get well beaten by their opponents.

Giving counties like them something to realistically aim for would be more beneficial to GAA overall

I presume that was posted with your tongue firmly in your cheek.
The Dublin supporters who refuse to acknowledge that there is a serious problem are the ones who don't care about the championship.
The Leinster championship has been dead for several years now, with former players recommending their counties boycott the competition.
The All-Ireland championship as a whole is on the same trajectory, it's incredibly obvious and equally incredible some people don't see that.
Again, the Homer Simpson mantra - "if something is difficult, it's not worth doing"

This literally is what the attitude is

And it should be mercilessly ridiculed - it deserves to be, that's all it deserves

If you desire to be a loser, you'll be a loser

I'm not suggesting counties should quit.
I would suggest the GAA should stop funding Dublin as they are self-sustaining at this stage. Funding and organisational assistance should be given to other counties to give them the same opportunities i.e. similar to what was done for Dublin in the past 15 years.
There are 31 counties in the rest of Ireland

They can bang their collective heads together and come up with a genuine plan that serves their needs and the needs of the GAA as a whole - the GAA is a democratic organisation

But they never do that

When you hear what Eddie Brennan said about the Laois County Board, and the anti-county board rhetoric from various counties that I've read on this board over many years, that's probably not a surprise

Dublin is also part of the GAA and children in Dublin are no less deserving of being able to participate than anywhere else
They will come up with a plan.
They won't cut the funding for GAA in schools
They'll just divide Dublin in 4 or 6

Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to never was there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it

Flannery O'Connor

SouthDublinBro

Uh oh, looks like we'll have to split Mayo into west and east county teams.

J70

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on December 06, 2020, 04:10:20 PM
Uh oh, looks like we'll have to split Mayo into west and east county teams.

What a dishonest, bullshit comment.

Milltown Row2

Coverage is on till 6pm on RTE, wtf are they going to talk about?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Predictable too. Mayo still highly unlikely to beat Dublin.

The debate about Dublin turns farcical on both sides tbh. Dublin isn't going to be split and they are not a once in a generation team when they're nine years on from their first win. Brian Fenton is a once in a lifetime player though.  Sf you talk like the Gaa will have an epiphany one day and it is a foregone conclusion. That is just nonsense tbh.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2020, 04:53:04 PM

The elf appearing at the commentators feet is getting more coverage on Twitter than the game!

Lar Naparka

Well done the Dubs on reaching another All Ireland final. Your performance last night was once again classic. As a team you have shown that Gaelic Football when played at the highest level is the equal of any other football game in the world - and something of which we should all be proud.
Fenton and Kilkenny having their own personal battle for POTY. Fenton is best midfielder I've been seen in football in the last 30 years. He can do everything. High fielding, tackling, shooting and a leader as well.

Everyone crying bitter tears over Dublin's domination don't care about the championship. They only care that their own county can't beat the dubs and hate that not only are the Dublin footballers supremely talented but they are also down to earth normal lads.

If all the Dublin haters really cared about the championship they'd be looking at what could be done for the likes of Wicklow, Leitrim, Clare etc who compete every year in a provincial championship they have no chance of ever winning and normally get well beaten by their opponents.

Giving counties like them something to realistically aim for would be more beneficial to GAA overall

The Dublin supporters who refuse to acknowledge that there is a serious problem are the ones who don't care about the championship.
The Leinster championship has been dead for several years now, with former players recommending their counties boycott the competition.
The All-Ireland championship as a whole is on the same trajectory, it's incredibly obvious and equally incredible some people don't see that.
Again, the Homer Simpson mantra - "if something is difficult, it's not worth doing"

And it should be mercilessly ridiculed - it deserves to be, that's all it deserves

I would suggest the GAA should stop funding Dublin as they are self-sustaining at this stage. Funding and organisational assistance should be given to other counties to give them the same opportunities i.e. similar to what was done for Dublin in the past 15 years.

They can bang their collective heads together and come up with a genuine plan that serves their needs and the needs of the GAA as a whole - the GAA is a democratic organisation

But they never do that

When you hear what Eddie Brennan said about the Laois County Board, and the anti-county board rhetoric from various counties that I've read on this board over many years, that's probably not a surprise

Dublin is also part of the GAA and children in Dublin are no less deserving of being able to participate than anywhere else
G'man sid, if defending the indefensible was an Olympic sport, you'd be wearing the green by now.  ;D
What percentage of children in Dublin actively participate in GAA activities?
While I'm at it, what percentage of the general public give a damn about Dublin GAA in any shape or form?
You are catering for a very special pampered elite and bankrupting the GAA in the process.

(PS. I was actively involved in Dublin Primary Schools, (Cumann na mBunscol) activities for more than three decades and in my considered imo, there is an active percentage of <5% who continue to play with local clubs when they leave primary level.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

BennyCake

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 06, 2020, 05:23:37 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2020, 04:53:04 PM

The elf appearing at the commentators feet is getting more coverage on Twitter than the game!

Does he keep shifting location after each ad break, like all those elf on the shelf?

sid waddell

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 06, 2020, 05:41:44 PM

But they never do that

G'man sid, if defending the indefensible was an Olympic sport, you'd be wearing the green by now.  ;D
What percentage of children in Dublin actively participate in GAA activities?
While I'm at it, what percentage of the general public give a damn about Dublin GAA in any shape or form?
You are catering for a very special pampered elite and bankrupting the GAA in the process.

(PS. I was actively involved in Dublin Primary Schools, (Cumann na mBunscol) activities for more than three decades and in my considered imo, there is an active percentage of <5% who continue to play with local clubs when they leave primary level.)
I don't have the stats but I'd wager participation rates in Dublin at both juvenile and adult levels are significantly behind most other counties

As for your question about "what percentage of the public give a damn about Dublin GAA in any shape or form", it's sort of hard to answer a question which is written as a clear whinge and also contains no context whatsoever - it's like something you'd get from a trollbot on Twitter - or perhaps Ewan MacKenna - and perhaps those two things are not mutually exclusive

Though clearly a lot of people in Dublin do give a damn given the way Dublin have consistently filled the new Croke Park over the last 18 years - and that's merely a visible demonstration

Moaning about "pampered elites" is yet another MacKennaism

Seaney

Filing a stadium with 40,000 Dubs out of a population of 1.2 million some achievement.

sid waddell

Quote from: Seaney on December 06, 2020, 06:32:24 PM
Filing a stadium with 40,000 Dubs out of a population of 1.2 million some achievement.
When Dublin played Donegal in 2002 and Tyrone in 2005 and Westmeath in 2006, there was a of minimum 60-65k Dubs in a full 82k capacity stadium

It seems you want a much larger capacity stadium

How much?

200k capacity? 500k?

I don't want that

I don't think it would be a wise use of money

So why do you want it?

Seaney

You have seriously mental health issues or just a complete ballbag where did I say I want that, just quote or shut up.