What do you remember about the last recession ?

Started by seafoid, July 23, 2010, 04:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 28, 2010, 07:51:45 PM
Garda Patrol
The P & T
Christmas Time and Jim Fahy in Knock Airport watching the coming and going of emigrants
Slattery's Bus to England
We'll rise and follow Charlie
Divorce Referendums
Chickatees, French Fries, Chomps, Smiley Bars, Dan Bars - All costing 10p
A Marathon Bar was 26p and a marathon was 26 miles.
Blackie Connors starring in the 'Clash of the Ash'
Cork 800
Dublin's Millennium
Dempsey's Den
Aonghus McAnally wearing odd socks on Anything Goes
Foster & Allen advertising hoardings in Croke Park
Smog in Dublin

TV Ads:

Off the coast of Ireland there is an abundance of Natural Gas - Alan Stanford
Roly Wheel Toys from Banaghan's in Cloughjordan - Mick Lally
Say yes, yes, yes with the EBS
Penney's, gotta whole lotta things for Christmas.
Shaw's - Almost Nationwide
Measles, Mumps and Rubella - and the auld nun yelling 'bah bah bah' into the child's ear
I ran all the way to Hazelbrook Farm
Farmer's Look up - ESB power cables
Where's Grandad? Water safety
"Bonzo wants to go out". "Good dog" - *Bonzo go outs, mauls a field of sheep* "Keep your dog under control, running free he could be killer"
Rabies kills. Agonisingly! How can we prevent if from coming to Ireland
John Fenton smashing fluke, immature fluke and adult immature fluke throughout the 8 week dry cow period
Hey Laurence, give us a pint of Harp and a packet of dates please.
John did you put the cat out?

It's like reading Reeling in the years, good list

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: haranguerer on July 30, 2010, 10:34:51 AM

Eh??

Maybe he is on about these days when a person says they running a Marathon it could as likely be a mini-Martahon, an ultra-Marathon, a super-Marathon, a half-Marathon etc.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

seafoid

Did inhibited ostertagia make it through the Tiger years?   

Donkeywalloper

Quote from: haranguerer on July 30, 2010, 10:34:51 AM

Eh??

Or possibly referring to the fact that not that long ago if someone responded to a marthon being 26 miles it would have been accepted as correct, unlike today whereby the anal brigade would take pleasure in reminding you about the additional  385 yds.

Simplier times back then

bcarrier

It was OK for me. Left 3rd level in 1988 and got a job. I had take home pay of £342 a month and tryng to repay BOI £75 a month ( student loan ) out of it.
So packed it in and went to London. One way standby flights for £49. Real homesickness . Settled to it eventually . Plenty more were in the same place . First few years were like an extension of college. Drinking my head off in places like Mean Fiddler to Shanty Dam / Saw Doctors/ The Stunning. Trips home were great . Nothing like All Ireland weekends with Burlo hopping. Lived week to week  and had nothing so timing was right for me . It was tougher on the older men from home who had to leave families behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YnLtcWcGcE

GalwayBayBoy

Galway hurlers won 3 All-Ireland's in the 80's so the recession was bearable. ;D

seafoid

Very few people had cars. There were no apartments and nobody ate pasta.

To drive up to Dublin to win another all-Ireland you had to go through the centre of Athlone, Leixlip, Lucan, Chapelizod and it took around 3 hours but that was because there were very few cars. I remember my father's uncle saying that it cost 1 million pounds per mile to build a new road in Dublin.I always think about what he would have said about the vulgarity of the tiger years but he died before it came along.   

At that time Dublin only went as far as county Dublin.

There was a Dub in Phibsboro wirra moustache and a cap who used to play for West Brom he said who would "mind" your mucker car for 50p or 1 pound. And he was never there when you got back to the car for the long trip home with the stops for pints in Tyrrellspass and Ballinasloe. And if they won it was glorious to look forward to the Sunday Game you could listen to them talking about the match all the way home. But if they lost they were usheless. 

thejuice

great thread, brings back a few memories, even though I was only about 10 when it ended. Sam Maguire came to our school twice, with Gerry McEntee and Micky McQuillan. Great ol times if you're a young lad sure you wouldn't know if you were poor at all as  was all the same for everyone.

Looking forward to the years ahead I think its important to remember that you cant say Recession without the word session (allow for the spelling  ;) ).
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

There was no shite about lifestyle parishes either. Killimordaly was as good as Clarinbridge back in the 80s.
Better actually as they won the county championship one time.
People didn't tend to lose the run of themselves .

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

anglocelt39

Shite living conditions in Dublin 6;
Shite politics;
Shite setup in the occupied 6;
Spending the few bob you had in the boozer on a few pints;
Walking up to an All Ireland Final or Five Nations game and getting in on the terrace, no bother;
Following the fella with the six pack at closing time to get crashing a house party;
Endless going away do's.

Shite taxation system-get an increase and 67.5% of it disappeared into the government coffers so fecked off for 12 years or so.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on November 29, 2010, 04:48:39 PM
what the f**k is a lifestyle parish?

Did you not have them in Meath?  In Galway, Craughwell and Clarinbridge were far more desirable places to live than Turloughmore or Killimordaly and reflected in house prices although most teenagers from those parishes would have gone  to the same secondary school. 

Rossfan

The general sense of doom and pessimism ....lightened by
* Batin' Galway n Tuam in 85
*batin' Mayowestros in Castlebar in 1896( they were to win Sam that year  :D)
* Batin' Galway in Salthill in 88
Gettin paid IR£37 a week in a factory.; gettin' IR£15 a week dole because I was livin at home
Being delighted when FF won the 87 General Election  :-[ :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on November 29, 2010, 06:08:50 PM
The general sense of doom and pessimism ....lightened by
* Batin' Galway n Tuam in 85
*batin' Mayowestros in Castlebar in 1896( they were to win Sam that year  :D)
* Batin' Galway in Salthill in 88
Gettin paid IR£37 a week in a factory.; gettin' IR£15 a week dole because I was livin at home
Being delighted when FF won the 87 General Election  :-[ :(

1896, this explains the senility.

Mullets.....all jeans were blue......corner shops opened packs of fags so you could by individually.....there were packs of ten.......Quicksilver 'Stop the lights'.......RTE employed men called Gay and Bunny.........drop kicks in Gaa.......ads for Nilzane protecting Joe Cooney form sarcoptic mange mites (which I always thought were Tipp defenders)
MWWSI 2017