What do you remember about the last recession ?

Started by seafoid, July 23, 2010, 04:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: FL/MAYO on July 23, 2010, 08:54:38 PM
Quote from: ross4life on July 23, 2010, 08:45:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 23, 2010, 08:33:25 PM
Fuckin hated working in the bog...

You played tennis and golf in the 80's? Posh p***k...

Posh me arse.. one of those cheap fecking rackets you could buy & i think i played golf with a plastic baseball bat or something  :D

I also bought a crappy Snooker table when i was inspired by Taylor/Higgins on the telly

Did you not do any pretend horse jumping after the RDS show jumping event each summer?

I didn't but i remember my cousin had a donkey & tried to use him to jump over fences  :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Shamrock Shore

Everyone's teeth were awful
Wimmin wore yellow gunas with shoulder pads
Income tax at top rate of 60%
Self Aid

boojangles

Getting stopped by the British Army going across the border when heading down to Wattle Bridge to get cheaper petrol.
Spending Sundays going to football matches and messing around outside some public house with about 20 other kids until the Daddys were ready to drive home ::)
Kicking football out on the streets until we couldn't see.
Car pooling

Armaghtothebone

Being a Paddy in Thatchers Britain, and seeing "that look" when you said South Armagh if they asked where you were from.
Seeing my college mates get screwed over with negative equity on houses they bought.
Gate 49
Gettin full in the queue at Heathrow comming home at Xmas with a lad workin in the States and two workin in Canada.
The crap feeling when you had to go back "across the water" after a few days at home.

anglocelt39

BBQ's/Sunshine/VB/Bondi Beach/Rules/League/Cricket and keeping one step ahead of officialdom
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

haranguerer

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on July 27, 2010, 09:10:17 PM
Being a Paddy in Thatchers Britain, and seeing "that look" when you said South Armagh if they asked where you were from.
Seeing my college mates get screwed over with negative equity on houses they bought.
Gate 49
Gettin full in the queue at Heathrow comming home at Xmas with a lad workin in the States and two workin in Canada.
The crap feeling when you had to go back "across the water" after a few days at home.

Why did you say it then? Why not say the name of the town or village like everyone who isn't from south armagh does, or just the county if you're in England?

Canalman

Coming back to school in September to find classmates had emigrated with their families. Used also to have "parties" in the school when classmates left the country during term ........... Tk lemonade / "Cola"in plastic cups, rice krispie buns etc.

Not good times I'm afraid.

fearglasmor

Irish girls didnt wear much makeup. The English cousins looked great.
Finished school in 81 - no job - thought I'd follow the da's footsteps into the army
Picking spuds for the summer - great exrcise - crack - decent money -the sun shone.
Playing cricket.
Got into army - changed mind - did an AnCo course.
Six weeks work experience in Glen Abbey in Tallaght - stayed in house with work study heads from the factory - dublin women working in the factory -  jeez.
Still no jobs  - decided to go the RTC Dundalk  -  great decision.
£27 per week ESF grant  -  first atm's  -  £1 for a half litre in the Muirhevna.
Finished the 2 year Cert  -  met the future wife - still no jobs  -  back for the Diploma  - another year in Dundalk  -  the hardship of it.
Got to play football with some great players.
Finished Diploma - 1986 - still no jobs -  me and future wife book ferry tickets for hollyhead - called to lecturer for reference - she flipped at everyone leaving the country.
Train from Holly head to London - staying with wifes relatives till we got a flat - any amount of work you wanted in London.
Bought a one bed flat in 87  -  married in 90  -  sold flat in 91 and back home
End of Recession

Thru the 80's  Offaly in finals in minor, u-21 and senior football and hurling - the golden years of Offaly GAA - probably never to be repeated.

Banana Man

Puckoon

I dont remember if this was in the recession, as I was a school kid - but I remember how excited our primary school teacher was when Major ousted Maggie.

Bord na Mona man

Garda Patrol
The P & T
Christmas Time and Jim Fahy in Knock Airport watching the coming and going of emigrants
Slattery's Bus to England
We'll rise and follow Charlie
Divorce Referendums
Chickatees, French Fries, Chomps, Smiley Bars, Dan Bars - All costing 10p
A Marathon Bar was 26p and a marathon was 26 miles.
Blackie Connors starring in the 'Clash of the Ash'
Cork 800
Dublin's Millennium
Dempsey's Den
Aonghus McAnally wearing odd socks on Anything Goes
Foster & Allen advertising hoardings in Croke Park
Smog in Dublin

TV Ads:

Off the coast of Ireland there is an abundance of Natural Gas - Alan Stanford
Roly Wheel Toys from Banaghan's in Cloughjordan - Mick Lally
Say yes, yes, yes with the EBS
Penney's, gotta whole lotta things for Christmas.
Shaw's - Almost Nationwide
Measles, Mumps and Rubella - and the auld nun yelling 'bah bah bah' into the child's ear
I ran all the way to Hazelbrook Farm
Farmer's Look up - ESB power cables
Where's Grandad? Water safety
"Bonzo wants to go out". "Good dog" - *Bonzo go outs, mauls a field of sheep* "Keep your dog under control, running free he could be killer"
Rabies kills. Agonisingly! How can we prevent if from coming to Ireland
John Fenton smashing fluke, immature fluke and adult immature fluke throughout the 8 week dry cow period
Hey Laurence, give us a pint of Harp and a packet of dates please.
John did you put the cat out?

muppet

Actually I remember the airports before Christmas would see loud happy reunions.

However after that, often around the 1st of 2nd of Jan, there would be thousands of people in bits saying goodbye to young people heading off. Very hard to watch elderly men and women in tears saying goodbye to their kids/grandkids.
MWWSI 2017

Plain of the Herbs

Does anyone else remember Michael O'Hehir getting out of his Ford Granada beside a signal-controlled level crossing warning us "this is one horse you shouldn't take a gamble with"?
Mícheálangelo getting all hot and bothered painting box-junctions!
Join the defence forces and go places.
How to park your bike outside the shop, and the breadman tripping over said bicycle.
Remember, look for a safe place . . .

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 28, 2010, 07:51:45 PM
TV Ads:

Off the coast of Ireland there is an abundance of Natural Gas - Alan Stanford
Roly Wheel Toys from Banaghan's in Cloughjordan - Mick Lally
Say yes, yes, yes with the EBS
Penney's, gotta whole lotta things for Christmas.
Shaw's - Almost Nationwide
Measles, Mumps and Rubella - and the auld nun yelling 'bah bah bah' into the child's ear
I ran all the way to Hazelbrook Farm
Farmer's Look up - ESB power cables
Where's Grandad? Water safety
"Bonzo wants to go out". "Good dog" - *Bonzo go outs, mauls a field of sheep* "Keep your dog under control, running free he could be killer"
Rabies kills. Agonisingly! How can we prevent if from coming to Ireland
John Fenton smashing fluke, immature fluke and adult immature fluke throughout the 8 week dry cow period
Hey Laurence, give us a pint of Harp and a packet of dates please.
John did you put the cat out?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Think this add sums up the last recession

1980s ESB advert - Going home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btqSxlUJyxo
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.