What do you remember about the last recession ?

Started by seafoid, July 23, 2010, 04:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

It looks like Ireland is going to be in recession for a prolonged period that might even match the 1980s for length. Go bhfoire Dia orainn. The 1980s recession could have ended by 1983  if the government had sorted out the fiscal situation on time, according to colm McCarthy of UCD. Instead the misery went on until 1991 through Christy Moore's an ordinary man, self aid, emigration and the re-emergence of Meath as football champions. 

Anything you remember about that recession? We had a neighbour who lost his job in 1982 and never got another one. Will this recession be similar ?   

AZOffaly

I thought I heard that theoretically we were out of recession as we had a positive (.0000000002) growth in the last quarter. Or was that my imagination again?

AZOffaly

Also, Offaly won All Ireland titles in 1981, 1982 and 1985 , 2 hurling one football, and won 3 LSFC titles in a row from 80-82, as well as a scatter of LSHCs as well during the period.

Maybe Offaly needs a good long recession :D

FL/MAYO

I remember coming to the States for 4 months in 1984, I am still here 26 years later, I never thought I would be here this long.....and Mayo still have not won a bloody All Ireland in that time period :'(

muppet

Mayo hats made out of crepe paper that 'melted' in the rain with the dye running down your head....
'Here we go, Willie Joe, Up Mayo'..........
Losing to Galway with Mickey Kerins as ref......
Giving out about losing to Galway with Mickey Kerins as ref.....
'Anyone for the last few choc ices'.....
Traffic chaos in the Hyde........
Traffic chaos in Pearse Stadium......
Getting in for nothing in MacHale Park.....
Alway always raining for Mayo matches.......
Being turned down for a job in McDonald's in Grafton St because they were 'only taking graduates' (deadly serious).......
A job selling bingo cards (which I ditched after 3 days).......

and then.......

My Grandmother (RIP) bought me a stonewashed denim jacket and it ended the recession.....
MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

Quote from: muppet on July 23, 2010, 04:33:04 PM
Mayo hats made out of crepe paper that 'melted' in the rain with the dye running down your head....
'Here we go, Willie Joe, Up Mayo'..........
Losing to Galway with Mickey Kerins as ref......
Giving out about losing to Galway with Mickey Kerins as ref.....
'Anyone for the last few choc ices'.....
Traffic chaos in the Hyde........
Traffic chaos in Pearse Stadium......
Getting in for nothing in MacHale Park.....
Alway always raining for Mayo matches.......
Being turned down for a job in McDonald's in Grafton St because they were 'only taking graduates' (deadly serious).......
A job selling bingo cards (which I ditched after 3 days).......

and then.......

My Grandmother (RIP) bought me a stonewashed denim jacket and it ended the recession.....

Didnt stop yis getting stuck into the choc ices...

seafoid

There was one bad stretch in 1984 or so when Cork lost Ford, Dunlop and 1 other factory. I remember Kevin Hennessy , the Cork full forward whose occupation for ages was  'unemployed'. 

Donnellys Hollow

Marathon bars

Subbuteo

Know Your Sport with Jimmy Magee

Guaranteed Irish GAA jerseys

Going to the Nally Stand with all your mates

Looking for Shergar on the Curragh  :D

"Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you!"
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

muppet

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 23, 2010, 04:55:32 PM
Marathon bars

Subbuteo

Know Your Sport with Jimmy Magee

Guaranteed Irish GAA jerseys

Going to the Nally Stand with all your mates

Looking for Shergar on the Curragh  :D

"Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you!"

And Nunch.
MWWSI 2017

southdown

It all ended when Paddy O'Rourke lifted Sam on 15.0901991.

So, the whole country should be wishing that Down win Sam this year?? ;)

ross4life

Working in the bog when we used to have good summer weather

Bailing hay trying to keep the wasps off your sandwich

Massive Ac/dc fan, growing the hair long buying all the cassettes t-shirts etc....

Going to Castlebar,Galway,Dublin thinking you where million miles from home

Looking forward to the yanks coming home! thinking they lived in this far away universe

Dipping & shearing sheep (rossie after all)

Driving cattle home for f***ing miles farmers giving you 50p for it

Crossing the Donegal/Derry border hoping you didn't get shot

Playing football when the world cup was on, tennis when Wimbledon was on & golf when it was on etc...

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

haranguerer

Fuckin hated working in the bog...

You played tennis and golf in the 80's? Posh p***k...

ross4life

Quote from: haranguerer on July 23, 2010, 08:33:25 PM

Posh me arse.. one of those cheap fecking rackets you could buy & i think i played golf with a plastic baseball bat or something  :D

I also bought a crappy Snooker table when i was inspired by Taylor/Higgins on the telly
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

FL/MAYO

Quote from: ross4life on July 23, 2010, 08:45:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 23, 2010, 08:33:25 PM

Posh me arse.. one of those cheap fecking rackets you could buy & i think i played golf with a plastic baseball bat or something  :D

I also bought a crappy Snooker table when i was inspired by Taylor/Higgins on the telly

Did you not do any pretend horse jumping after the RDS show jumping event each summer?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Iarnród Éireann tokens on the Cornflakes to encourage people to take the train to Dublin after the Loyalist pricks kept putting hoax-bombs on the train lines.

Asking my ould lad where the feck was this UK (I pronounced it Yuck) place on the back of the Rice Crispies?

A Galway player heading a goal against Mayo in Tuam Stadium.

Secondary teachers on strike walking passing our national school, so all us high-infants wouldn't go back in after the break chanting "we're on strike".

In national school saying "You got Aids"  :-[  if someone did something stupid. (No body really knew what AIDs where yet).

Number plates with strange codes which meant year and county!!!

Half-Penny Sweets.

The 20P being introduced, it was shiney and looked like gold!!!

Moving home to Castlebar, County Mayo, Wohoooooooooooooooooooooo from exile in the heartland of County Galway football.

The day they opened the new road between Balindine and Claremorris, my beloved Castlebar, Mayo was now 10 minutes closer.

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.