Photos that shook the world

Started by ross4life, December 30, 2009, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Uganda (1980)
A priest holds the hand of a starving child. Photos like this one moved the United Nations and others to send food to the starving Horn of Africa.

Afghan Girl (1984)
Sharbat Gula's piercing gaze on the cover of National Geographic came to symbolize the plight of refugees around the world. Her identity was unknown until she was found again in 2002

Omayra Sanchez (1985)
Fournier shot this 13-year old girl just before she died from an eruption of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano. The photo caused an uproar over Colombia's inaction during the tragedy

Charles Porter - Oklahoma City (1995)
A fireman carries 1-year-old Baylee Almon from the wreckage of the federal building in Oklahoma City after the terrorist bomb killed 168 people

Various - Abu Ghraib Prison Photos (2004)
Several series of photos depict torture, humiliation, and sexual abuse of Iraqi prisoners by US soldiers in Abu Ghraib, sparking protests
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Hurler on the Bitch

Whatever happened that HURE? -  I assume that she is pointing to the c*cks that she had had inside her. Her name was England?

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gnevin

Quote from: ross4life on December 30, 2009, 07:33:28 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 30, 2009, 07:17:13 PM
I dont know about the rest but the bottom one is suppose to be a fake

don't know but the same could be said about this one?

& bigfoot nessie & few more
No it the same couldn't be said of this one .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Family guy

Quote from: Gaffer on December 30, 2009, 07:25:20 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 30, 2009, 07:17:13 PM
I dont know about the rest but the bottom one is suppose to be a fake

Ah Jasus, don't be saying that Pints, I just paid 30 lids for a canvas of that one.  :(

The story with this pic is the fella on the right is meant to be a ghost,he was dead the day the pic was taken,notice how no1 notices him.Sad i know i dont believe it but thats the story

J70

Quote from: ross4life on December 30, 2009, 07:15:39 PM
famous Charles Ebbets photos from the Rockerfeller Centre in Manhattan (head for heights anyone?)

& the most famous one

The Lewis Hines ones from the Empire State Building are pretty cool too.

haranguerer

Quote from: Shazam on December 30, 2009, 12:41:36 AM

This one is truly horrifying, as is the story of the photographer who took it. The fate of the girl is unknown - the photographer took the photo, but didnt help her. When it was published (winning a pulitzer prize), this came to light, and he came in obviously for much criticism - it raised debate about photographers, and to what extent they should do their job no matter the expense to others.

It all became too much for him, and he committed sucide when he was 33.

Minder

Was there not something on the board last year about the above photo and they were able to trace the child?

Or am I talking bollocks?

haranguerer

Could well have been something on here about it - I cant remember where I heard about it. Dont remember anything about the girl been traced though.

Having said that, I wouldn't like to dismiss your other theory - that you're talking bollocks - out of hand either; its always a strong possibility
:P ;D

Celt_Man

Marine with the Thousand Yard Stare in the Pacific Theatre in WWII

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ross4life

Smoke covers the presidential palace compound in Baghdad 21 March 2003 during a massive US-led air raid on the Iraqi capital

A Kenyan boy screams as he sees kenyan policeman with a baton approach the door of his home

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Minder

Are those pair of animals now free enjoying a new life at tax payers expense?