Started by ross4life, December 30, 2009, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 05, 2010, 09:42:34 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 05, 2010, 01:25:45 AM
Quote from: stew on January 05, 2010, 12:08:35 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 04, 2010, 01:21:55 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 04, 2010, 12:23:43 PM
Are those pair of animals now free enjoying a new life at tax payers expense?

They were only children and need rehabilitation not locked in  a cell for 70 years. Of course what they did was henious. Their background was horrendous and there was a girl of ten who did child  murder in the 60s and was jailed and then released when it was felt she was ready to rejoin society. She didn't offend after. Keeping those boys in jail forever won't bring Jamie Bolger back.
Then there's Jimmy Boyle in Scotland who reformed and helped many people turn away from crime. You ever heard of him? If you had your way he' d still be in jail.

For every rehab sucess story there are thirty re-offenders, ffs bringing up their backgrounds is ridiculous, they murdered a child, a feckin innocent child and all you can do is bleat about their upbringing. >:(

I tend to think more about the child who got robbed of a chance to live his life, of his family who will be forever haunted by the death of their child and the fact that he was killed in such disgusting fashion.

Some of you bleeding hearts would dance to a different tune if it was your son that was butchered, I am all for those two spending their days were they can harm no one else, they deserve to a life inside, the took the life of a child who deserved a lot better fate than the one the meted out to him.

In other words you want vengence. so be it. If you care so much about the family of Jamie Bolger, have you ever wrote to them to comfort them or offer condolences or is this just an angry soundbite you'll have forgotten about in five minutes after typing it?
In my opinion, your idea of morality is severely skewed from what most of us would call reality

Have you been appointed to speak on behalf of most of society? Congratulations

sammymaguire

personally I'd say drop this "debate" it was horrendous incident and I am sure you guys are not enjoying discussing it either
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

haranguerer

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 05, 2010, 11:03:01 AM
personally I'd say drop this "debate" it was horrendous incident and I am sure you guys are not enjoying discussing it either

Drop all debate sure.

sammymaguire

Quote from: haranguerer on January 05, 2010, 11:16:57 AM

Drop all debate sure.

who said all? did you read all?
so whats your opinion on this intriguing topic then haran? some photo eh? two young lads taking a toddler off to his awful sick death.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Zapatista

A really shocking photo.

Another shocking picture from the time was the mob in Liverpool trying to get the two boys responsible. I can only imagine what they would have done to them. I haven't seen a reaction like that since. Even cases such as Ian Huntley or Roy Whiting were children were killed by adults haven't caused such a reaction.

ludermor

Zap
Serious question, have you ever read what was done to the kid? It was the most horrific mutalation i ever heard about. I know most of us would like to think we would behave rationally and let juctise take its course if i knew that child i cannot guarentee i wouldnt be in the mob.

bingobus

Read recently that the mother found out the whereabouts of one of them and went to confront them, prob for peace of mind. She was face to face with one of them but couldn't do anything, just broke down and left.

Aside to this, they are raising funds to build a new home in Liverpool for badly bullied children and it is been needed the Jamie Bulgar house.

Minder

I think I remember reading that some of what they did to James Bolger would never be known by the public due to the nature of it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longrunsthefox

Yes-What they did was horrific. No-one has said otherwise. The debate is about the punishment and some (including me) feel they should be given a chance to be rehabilitated.

Zapatista

Quote from: ludermor on January 05, 2010, 12:20:59 PM
Zap
Serious question, have you ever read what was done to the kid? It was the most horrific mutalation i ever heard about. I know most of us would like to think we would behave rationally and let juctise take its course if i knew that child i cannot guarentee i wouldnt be in the mob.

I have but don't know if I heard all the details. I am well aware that I'm speaking from another Country 17 years later. I can make no guarentees as to what my reaction could have been in different circumstances but I do know what my opinion is now.

Norf Tyrone

Someone hit the nail in the head here with the question about 'what punishment Venables and Thompson's parents got'?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

theskull1

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 05, 2010, 12:46:32 PM
Yes-What they did was horrific. No-one has said otherwise. The debate is about the punishment and some (including me) feel they should be given a chance to be rehabilitated.

I have the feeling that the world would be a better place if we promptly got rid of people who carry out such vile acts without dwelling on any guilt that "we" as a society should have after the effect. Just get rid of them because they deserved nothing better at the time and then move on. Of course having something like this would no doubt be riddled with practical difficulties and be impossible to implement, but thats the feeling I have. I think society would be all the healthier for it over time (in theory  :))
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

haranguerer

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 05, 2010, 11:31:16 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 05, 2010, 11:16:57 AM

Drop all debate sure.

who said all? did you read all? so whats your opinion on this intriguing topic then haran? some photo eh? two young lads taking a toddler off to his awful sick death.

You said drop this debate, I said drop all debate. I assumed that since you have the right to express your opinion that this debate should be dropped, I have the right to express the opinion that all debate be dropped.

I of course was taking the piss (this is a mesage board after all) and since you have now tried to add to the debate by asking my opinion on the matter, I realise you were also, so alls good, isn't it?!

Anyway, I dont think anyones that bothered about the photo - it seems to be more the punishment the perpetrators got.

Imo, justice has to be seen to serve society and not just individuals, otherwise the victims would determine the sentence. We are emotional beings, and cant make decisions like that ourselves. I just know that I'm glad to live in  a country which doesnt have capital punishment, and which believes people can change. Often people dont change, but I would imagine this is one case where there is a strong likelihood that these boys will have changed, for the good.

ludermor

Quote from: haranguerer on January 05, 2010, 01:30:36 PM
. Often people dont change, but I would imagine this is one case where there is a strong likelihood that these boys will have changed, for the good.
Thye can hardly get much worse!

haranguerer

Quote from: ludermor on January 05, 2010, 01:31:45 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 05, 2010, 01:30:36 PM
. Often people dont change, but I would imagine this is one case where there is a strong likelihood that these boys will have changed, for the good.
Thye can hardly get much worse!

True. They could stay the same however...