Armagh county of the decade

Started by tyroneman, September 22, 2009, 04:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on September 26, 2009, 12:17:44 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 26, 2009, 10:50:48 AM
Quote from: ONeill on September 25, 2009, 11:59:54 PM
Cannot agree with that at all. Genuine class footballers? That Cross/Armagh period of 99-05 had class footballers hanging out of them. Kernan was not the man to achieve what they should've. They were actually extremely lucky in 02, but from 01-05 they could've and should've contested all finals - they were that good.
I agree.  I think that Armagh team had at least 3 AIs in them but...

... they didn't.

Tyrone could have won more but they didn't. Mayo should have won some but they didn't. Dublin should have won more but they didn't etc etc.
Could you be any more childish?  ::)

Try not to interrupt when adults are having a conversation please, there's a good boy
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 26, 2009, 01:05:18 PM
Cannot agree with that at all. Genuine class footballers? That Cross/Armagh period of 99-05 had class footballers hanging out of them. Kernan was not the man to achieve what they should've. They were actually extremely lucky in 02, but from 01-05 they could've and should've contested all finals - they were that good.

... they didn't.

Tyrone could have won more but they didn't. Mayo should have won some but they didn't. Dublin should have won more but they didn't etc etc.

Try not to interrupt when adults are having a conversation please, there's a good boy

So what's different to what you said and what I said? There's no doubting that Armagh had the squad to win more All-Irelands, just like other teams had good squads. It just doesn't give them a divine right to win an All-Ireland. So what years do you think that Armagh should have won their other All-Irelands?

under the bar

QuoteCounty of the decade is Kerry
Second Tyrone
Third Armagh.

Cork & Galway would have as much right to claim 3rd as Armagh.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on September 26, 2009, 01:31:15 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 26, 2009, 01:05:18 PM

... they didn't.

So what's different to what you said and what I said? There's no doubting that Armagh had the squad to win more All-Irelands, just like other teams had good squads. It just doesn't give them a divine right to win an All-Ireland. So what years do you think that Armagh should have won their other All-Irelands?
I was agreeing with ONeill, if you can recall.

Anyway, 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005 - you could look at any of those years and say 'if this or if that...'

Bad decisions on the line, unlucky bounces of the ball (so to speak) and the odd stupid mistake cost us potential AIs those years, imo

The point ONeill made was that Joe Kernan wasn't the man to get the best out of that squad of players - it would be my opinion that JK reaped what the 2 Brians had sowed, got lucky then screwed up another few AIs
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Bensars

Catch yourself on man!

2004 fermanagh beat that armagh side. If buts and maybes could be applied to many teams. Undoubtedly a talented squad but a team ethic of hard work and grinding out results. Never blew many teams away and the danger is always that if the oppisition is within touching distance they can steal it.

Im not disputing it was a talented squad and brought a much more professional approach in regards of preparation into the game but to cite the list of years above , you're losing the run of yourself !

armaghniac

QuoteAnyway, 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005 - you could look at any of those years and say 'if this or if that...'

And you can add 2000 to that list, when we took the eventual AI champions to extra time in a replay. We may have had a little bit of luck in 2002, but with any luck we might have won in 2000 instead of Kerry.

JK clearly benefitted from the good work previously, and the arrival of Ronan Clarke in the team give them that little bit extra in the forward division. But Armagh did keep in contention from 2002-2005, Galway the champs in 2001 didn't and Dublin who we beat by point in 2002 didn't push on either. 2004 is the one that really got away.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Bensars on September 26, 2009, 02:24:32 PM
Catch yourself on man!

2004 fermanagh beat that armagh side. If buts and maybes could be applied to many teams. Undoubtedly a talented squad but a team ethic of hard work and grinding out results. Never blew many teams away and the danger is always that if the oppisition is within touching distance they can steal it.

Im not disputing it was a talented squad and brought a much more professional approach in regards of preparation into the game but to cite the list of years above , you're losing the run of yourself !
It's not even worth trying to debate with you

AFS

I always felt 2000 was the one we really blew, had Kerry beat all over the field, particularly in the first game.

I tend to find that when people from outside the county try to analyse our success this decade they frequently overlook the fact that we were challenging for AIs a couple of years before 2002. In fact, in each of the three years previous to our own win we went down narrowly to the eventual champions, twice at the semi-final stage.

Anyways, I'm confident that the next decade will put to bed some of the frustrations of those near misses.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 26, 2009, 04:40:10 PM
Quote from: Bensars on September 26, 2009, 02:24:32 PM
Catch yourself on man!

It's not even worth trying to debate with you

I agree, it's difficult when your neighbours have completely outdone you. Don't go there  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: armaghniac on September 24, 2009, 03:27:57 PM
QuoteJesus wept, get your head out of your own arse

Charming response to a reasonable answer to your question. What do you expect?

QuoteThe only record they have is the number of losses in an All Ireland Final, not a record anyone would be proud of.

This record we do not hold. Try Mayo.

Cork & Galway have lost far more Senior All-Irelands than Mayo.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Gaaman

Kerry are team of the decade.  Armagh were simply only good enough for 1 AI.   

Enough of this "what if" carry on.   Great teams win more than 1 AI.....Fact

Armaghgeddon

Over the past decade Armagh have won senior, minor and u-21 All Irelands and on top of that a handful of club all Irelands.

Armagh can say that they have won an All Ireland at club and county level...Has any club in Tyrone done this?

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on September 27, 2009, 08:22:25 PM
Over the past decade Armagh have won senior, minor and u-21 All Irelands and on top of that a handful of club all Irelands.

Armagh can say that they have won an All Ireland at club and county level...Has any club in Tyrone done this?

Where's Ziggy when you need him?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 26, 2009, 11:00:43 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 24, 2009, 03:27:57 PM
QuoteJesus wept, get your head out of your own arse

Charming response to a reasonable answer to your question. What do you expect?

QuoteThe only record they have is the number of losses in an All Ireland Final, not a record anyone would be proud of.

This record we do not hold. Try Mayo.

Cork & Galway have lost far more Senior All-Irelands than Mayo.

I think he was going on percentages though. 3 wins out of 12 finals is a poor return when you think of it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ziggysego

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on September 27, 2009, 08:22:25 PM

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

GREENCASTLE!!!!
Testing Accessibility