Armagh county of the decade

Started by tyroneman, September 22, 2009, 04:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteI think a 100% record would indeed prove that Down are the most sucessful Ulster county.

Yes. Down were indeed the county of the decade in the 1960s.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TacadoirArdMhacha

Cavan have won the same amount of All Ireland titles as Down.
Cavan have reached more All Ireland finals than Down.
Cavan have won more Ulster titles than Down.
Down are a more successful county than Cavan.

Interesting logic.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: armaghniac on September 24, 2009, 04:23:05 PM
QuoteI think a 100% record would indeed prove that Down are the most sucessful Ulster county.

Yes. Down were indeed the county of the decade in the 1960s.

That was actually Galway.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

armaghniac

QuoteThat was actually Galway.

Now now TAM, Mr Huaire will be on pointing out that he means ULSTER.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

man in black

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 24, 2009, 04:15:27 PM
I think a 100% record would indeed prove that Down are the most sucessful Ulster county.

By that logic Donegal share that honour.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Cúig huaire

5 is always greater than 1, as everyone in Armagh already knows.  :)
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

nrico2006

QuoteFactor in also the age difference between both sides. Had Armagh enjoyed a similar ae profile to Tyrone (in other words had Mc Geeney, Marsden, Mc Conville etc been entering their prime in 2002 - 2003), I believe Tyrone wouldn't have won one All Ireland.

What happened to the above players during their prime?  How did they not win more?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

man in black

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 24, 2009, 05:20:10 PM

Do you understand percentages ?

SidelineKick

Quote from: man in black on September 25, 2009, 09:27:46 AM

MIB 79% of people understand them.  19% don't and 5% arent sure what they are.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

man in black

Quote from: SidelineKick on September 25, 2009, 11:33:04 AM
Quote from: man in black on September 25, 2009, 09:27:46 AM

MIB 79% of people understand them.  19% don't and 5% arent sure what they are.

And what about the rest ? :)

ardal

County of the decade is Kerry
Second Tyrone
Third Armagh.

End of story. Armagh should have won more, did more to enhance the professional athletism of the sport than any other county in the history of the GAA, but still sadly only have one senior Al-Ireland to show for it. Then again on the up side, over the last decade Armagh have been one of the teams to be in the counting / to be reckoned with, even when in a period of transition, and I truely believe this will continue for many years to come; compare this with us in the 80's, so maybe we have made the greatest leaps and bounds in the country

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: BerfArmagh on September 24, 2009, 01:03:05 PM
I think there was a lot of merit in the article. While Armagh should definetly have achieved at least 2 all irelands, i thought their best chance & at their peak they were very unlucky to be pipped by tyrone in the semi final.

I wouldnt actually agree with that. For me Armagh did not have the same number of genuine class footballers as other All-Ireland winning counties this decade and actually over achieved in winning 1 All-Ireland and reaching the latter stages of the championship on a few other occasions. Id agree they were somewhat unlucky in the 2005 semi-final defeat against Tyrone but at the same time they had enjoyed great fortune in the other two championship matches between the two counties that summer having been outplayed on both occasions. As they were in 2003 when the 3 point margin of defeat really flattered Armagh. 2004 was probably their best chance for a second Sam and they totally blew it. Fair play to them, knuckled down and achieved the team of the decade accolade :D

Its all rather irrelevant anyway, we should have spent the last 8 pages laughing at Heaney's daft article about Kerry being finished, the kind of predicition that anybody with half a clue about GAA would never have made. Least he was a bit more clever with this latest effort which has succesfully deflected  attention away from him.

ONeill

Cannot agree with that at all. Genuine class footballers? That Cross/Armagh period of 99-05 had class footballers hanging out of them. Kernan was not the man to achieve what they should've. They were actually extremely lucky in 02, but from 01-05 they could've and should've contested all finals - they were that good.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: ONeill on September 25, 2009, 11:59:54 PM
Cannot agree with that at all. Genuine class footballers? That Cross/Armagh period of 99-05 had class footballers hanging out of them. Kernan was not the man to achieve what they should've. They were actually extremely lucky in 02, but from 01-05 they could've and should've contested all finals - they were that good.
I agree.  I think that Armagh team had at least 3 AIs in them but...
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 26, 2009, 10:50:48 AM
Quote from: ONeill on September 25, 2009, 11:59:54 PM
I agree.  I think that Armagh team had at least 3 AIs in them but...

... they didn't.

Tyrone could have won more but they didn't. Mayo should have won some but they didn't. Dublin should have won more but they didn't etc etc.