Tyrone training for the future

Started by Hereiam, October 20, 2008, 02:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

My point was there's room for charity as well as helping your county team.

I also donate a small amount to charity each month.   Instead of doing it by dirent debit you might think about asking your employer to donate it through a give as you earn scheme, which is easy to set up in the workplace.  That way it't tax & NIC deductable so your £20 would be over £25 when the got pay their share.   

nashville

That's actually a great idea under the bar, thanks for suggesting it... A few people i work with donate also so hopefully will be able to convince them also. I would just ask that everyone take a look at their website and the good work that they do.

http://www.childrenincrossfire.org/

Rois

Quote from: nashville on October 21, 2008, 10:58:52 AM
What irked me was that some people were saying things like it's not a big ask, yet talking on the street to someone asking for even smaller donations sounds like you are asking them to remove a leg.

It's the fact that you're being hounded on the street by people who do not know you, that irks me right back.  How do you know how much people do or don't do for charity already and why are you comparing it to asking for money for a draw scheme relating to the GAA?  It is an entirely separate thing and I don't think it precludes people from donating money to charity.

I organise our charity programme in work (volunteering as well as fundraising) which takes a lot of personal time, but that doesn't stop me supporting the GAA.

Given that you're on a GAA discussion site, you'll obviously have realised that the GAA is founded on voluntary contributions of both time and money.  Otherwise how would we exist and be able to enjoy the sports as much as we do?  And that's what the Tyrone draw is relying on.   

under the bar

QuoteThat's actually a great idea under the bar, thanks for suggesting it... A few people i work with donate also so hopefully will be able to convince them also. I would just ask that everyone take a look at their website and the good work that they do.

http://www.childrenincrossfire.org/

Do you know what percentage of money actually gets to the people on the ground and how much is used to pay wages & administration?    Many charities eat up more than 50% of donated funds in such costs and in some cases as little as 15p or 20p in the £ is used for relief.   Personally I go with Concern where 85% goes in relief.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: nashville on October 21, 2008, 10:43:14 AM
No, 2.50 a week is not much, the price of buying a newspaper every working day would save millions of lives.. just think of that, which is the better cause, helping feed and educate malnourished children, or having a swanky new training facility for the "heroes"?

Why does it necessarily have to be either one or the other?

If it be the case that an individual can only contribute to one or the other then let his/her conscience guide him/her. And just because it's a contribution to a sporting organistation, that does not mean that there are no humanitarian and societal aspects to consider, albeit slightly closer to home.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zapatista

The best way to help a charity is to volunteer.

under the bar

QuoteThe best way to help a charity is to volunteer

A Chara, The armed struggle is over!

Doohicky

Quote from: Zapatista on October 21, 2008, 02:20:11 PM
The best way to help a charity is to volunteer.

Absolutely. My GF volunteers for Childline on top of her job and has done for many years.
With reference to people on the street, they really piss me off and this story is an example of why.

She was on her way to the Childline offices for her two hour volunteer shift and was 'accosted' (For want of a better word) by one of those street workers. She politely told them she had no time and the person shourted after her that she was a tight f**k and it was disgusting that she wouldn't give 5 minutes of her time for charity. She walked on and didn't reply.
Fair enough the person didn't know that's what she was soing, but that is the point. The street charity sellers are in your face constanly and taking the moral high ground when they have no idea of what we might be doing already. And all the while they are getting PAID to do so.

under the bar

QuoteShe politely told them she had no time and the person shourted after her that she was a tight f**k and it was disgusting

He knew her intimately then?    ;)

Doohicky

Quote from: under the bar on October 21, 2008, 02:49:08 PM
QuoteShe politely told them she had no time and the person shourted after her that she was a tight f**k and it was disgusting

He knew her intimately then?    ;)

Took me far too lomg to get that.   :D

Mike Sheehy

QuoteGiven what Tyrone has done for every county in raising the bar and showing others the benefits of total football, I'd expect healthy ticket sales in all 32 counties. 

By that logic you owe us 120 years worth of tickets.

Zapatista

Quote from: under the bar on October 21, 2008, 02:42:12 PM
QuoteThe best way to help a charity is to volunteer

A Chara, The armed struggle is over!

The armed chair struggle continues 8)

under the bar

Anyone know how much table are at the Club Tyrone do on 8th Nov?

orangeman

Quote from: under the bar on October 23, 2008, 09:30:28 AM
Anyone know how much table are at the Club Tyrone do on 8th Nov?

£1000 I believe.

Rois