Jack O Connor - New Kerry Manager

Started by REDCOL, October 16, 2008, 06:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingmule

Quote from: comethekingdom on October 16, 2008, 10:08:25 PM
Fair play to Pat. He guided us to 2 AI finals. We wish him well. Doubt if Jack would come back but it would be very interesting if he did !
very surprised with the news, the guy was a class manager, was there a player problem do you reckon?

orangeman

I'd say Paidi will give it a go again and if Paidi comes back in , Darragh wil give it one more lash !

Over the Bar

In fairness Pat seemed to be one of the game's gentlemen, but came up against the game's greatest gentleman!

ONeill

I'm sure Kerry have someone within their system ready to take the reigns. Sean Geaney or John Kennedy.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

heineken_on_tap

Would be sorry for Pat - he seemed to be a decent oul skin. He is probably right though to get out, would be serious pressure on him next year to deliver and if he failed he would not be that popular in kerry. This way he won an AI and got them to another - not a bad return.

thebandit

"The roughest type of f***ing animals you could meet" - P. Ó Sé

Jinxy

Finished Jack O'Connors book a few weeks ago. They are all lunatics down there.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

I'm actually not sure about the merits of Pat O'Shea as a county manager. I know it's extremely high standards down there, but he always came across to me as a 'skills' type coach, rather than a leader of men. Tactically, I felt he was a bit naive against Tyrone as well.

We'd love him in Offaly mind you, but for someone like Kerry, I think you need to be a very single minded man, that gets the respect of men with 2 or 3 celtic crosses, and can keep them hungry while still being able to adapt tactically when the need arises.

Mickey Harte might fit the bill for them :D

lynchbhoy

Best of luck Pat, nice guy and Gaelic football/sports fanatic

Kerry will have plentyof good men to choose from.

will be interesting if jack oconnor comes back !

catchandkick

My prefs in this order would be:

Jack O'Connor- best manager we've ever had in my book

Liam Kearns- didnt like the stuff Limk played under him, very negative, but think it was more cut your cloth to suit your measure with Limk , whose forwards were very poor, discipline would improve under him too

Pat  O'Driscoll - led Ardfert in Kerry from div 5 to div 1, won kerry Junior, All ireland Junior, Kerry intermediate, All Ireland intermediate in successive seasons - phenomenal achievement

Jinxy

Lads. Ye are all ignoring the elephant in the room. Micko.

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: Jinxy on October 17, 2008, 01:02:29 PM
Lads. Ye are all ignoring the elephant in the room. Micko.

Fairy tale stuff Jinxy, would be great to see him back

Jinxy

If he said he was interested would anyone stand in his way?

AZOffaly

Micko will never again manage Kerry, in my opinion.

kevmy

Pat O Shea was a decent manager - a decent manager in the traditional Kerry mode. With a good array of talent at his disposal a decent Kerry manager will do exactly what he did. You need someone really good to beat Tyrone.

Micko's well past it.

Paidí is only interested in media work now (and wasn't that good to begin with)

Kennedy isn't up to the top level of intercounty management - neither is the Bomber (although I have great respect for him)

Truth be told ye had one of the best managers in the country in Jack O Connor and all ye gave him was abuse. Kerry don't deserve him tbh. Hope he doesn't come back because he won't get the credit he deserves this time around either.

I know very little about Geaney but he guided them to their first U21 in a long time and it seems to be his if he wants it.