Where now for Galway hurling?

Started by MaroonAndWhite, October 13, 2008, 10:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: belleaqua on November 18, 2008, 10:19:55 PM
Thats a shock...a huge surprise he was even in the last 3! Any word on a backroom team...ud imagine he'd want something impressive goin on to have swung it. Expect David Forde to be captain while it doesnt look good for lads like Cyril Donnellan given McIntyre's columns in the Tribune earlier this year.

The selectors are John Hardiman, John Moylan & Joe Connolly. Hardiman is supposedly a serious operator and rumour has it he turned down approaches from Gerlock to get involved last year.

Forde will hardly be captain....he would be blessed to make the 15!

belleaqua

QuoteForde will hardly be captain....he would be blessed to make the 15!

Yes meant to say that was somewhat tongue in cheek. McIntyre was always a great promoter of Forde's cause, i agree he'l be very lucky to be on a starting Galway 15 especially a successful one. That looks a solid backroom team alright. Hardiman has been quiet on the intercounty team since the minors really.

Bond & Co must be in some state of shock this morning!

AZOffaly

Interesting to see how John McIntyre will get on. He was a sound man in charge of Offaly, but his sense of realism (read pessimism) was almost legendary. I remember hims being interviewed before Offaly hurled Kilkenny in one of the more recent maulings, albeit not the 31 point one. It was on Midlands Radio 3, and after appealing to the supporters to 'come out tomorrow and give the lads a big boost', he then was asked if he felt Offaly had a chance. Instead of the stock reply 'Sure we'll turn up and give it our best shot, if we play well and they have a bad day blah blah blah' John came up with this Gem.

'Look Ricey*, you have more chance of bumping into a Polar Bear in the Sahara Desert, walking around with a bag of ice on his head trying to keep cool'.

It didn't exactly rank up there with 'We'll fight them on the beaches'. :D

* May not have been Ricey Scully, but it was one of them,

youngfella

Pull hard and early

youbetterbelieveit

McIntyre first team is announced.

Team:
1.callanan
2.cullinane
3.mccleran
4.moore
5.coen
6.kavanagh
7.mahon
8.forde
9.healy
10.killilea
11.donnelan
12.gantley
13.callanan
14.healy
15.farragher

INDIANA

picked the wrong manager, the wrong squad and now lost one of their best players. not looking good.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: INDIANA on January 15, 2009, 10:49:41 AM
picked the wrong manager, the wrong squad and now lost one of their best players. not looking good.

Bit early to say Galway picked the wrong manager. He hasn't even had a game yet. Would be hard to do worse than Loughnane anyway.

Wrong squad I don't really understand unless you know of some hidden gems in Galway club hurling that we are unaware of. Only name of any consequence missing from the first squad was Alan Kerins who will probably be back later on in the year anyway.

John Lee being unavailable is a loss alright as you want to have as many good players as you can get hold of but his form last year for Galway was very up and down. In fairness he has his plate full with his medical studies so a dip in form is maybe understandable. Hopefully we will see him back in the near future.

Not an easy start for McIntyre though. He has to do without the Portumna contingent and a number of players out injured. Having Lee opt out for the year was probably not what he wanted to hear on top of that.

INDIANA

I think its a bigger loss than it looks, I can't for the life of me figure out how galway with all the talent can't find a full back and now have lost their centre back with few alternatives.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: INDIANA on January 16, 2009, 01:08:26 AM
I think its a bigger loss than it looks, I can't for the life of me figure out how galway with all the talent can't find a full back and now have lost their centre back with few alternatives.

Well Loughrea's Damien McLearn has probably been the best full-back in Galway club hurling for the past few years but has refused invitations to join the county panel until this year due to other commitments. It would be a big boost if he could make that position his own.

Lee will obviously be a loss but I guess Shane Kavanagh will be given a chance to fill the centre back berth and he was one of Galway's best performers last year so hopefully he will manage to do a decent job there.

youbetterbelieveit

I honest don't think it is, the main thing for Galway is to get a number of championship games/win under their belts such as a leinster qtr-final, semi-final etc. and then go into the back door with a stronger and settled team.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: hatchetfield on January 16, 2009, 03:12:11 PM
Would winning Leinster be the main objective in Galway boys?

I honestly don't think winning Leinster would mean much to them in itself which is understandable enough as they are not from the province however if winning Leinster means you are getting more good quality games against sides like Kilkenny then that can only help the team develop and hopefully leave them in a stronger position later in the year.

SLIGONIAN

If Galway do win Leinster will it not be weird? Im mean im glad there in leinster because it gives a greater chance of all ireland success. But seeing Galway lift the leinster trophy will just not feel right IMO.

Dont forget to sing the WESTS AWAKE though!!

We only have 6 hurling clubs so we just cant give them a proper Connacht championship against 30+ hurling clubs in Galway although Offaly seem to make the most of what theyve got club wise in both codes. I can only hope our hurling alliance with the midlanders can bestow some wisdom on us and push on from there.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

INDIANA

When was the last time wexford gave them a real scare?
Galway haven't a prayer of beating the cats, same as all the other teams in leinster. All you read with galway is potential. Long on potential , short on delivery. Bit like being impotent.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: INDIANA on January 16, 2009, 05:01:05 PM
Galway haven't a prayer of beating the cats, same as all the other teams in leinster.

Galway have beaten Kilkenny in All-Ireland semi-finals in both 2001 and 2005 which is probably a better record than anyone has against the Cats in recent years. Granted they have dished out a few humpings to Galway as well but Galway teams generally don't fear Kilkenny teams whether it be intercounty or club. Or at underage.

Doesn't mean you'll beat them mind as they set the standard.