FERMANAGH V DOWN Preliminary Round USFC

Started by imagine, October 08, 2008, 08:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Down Gael, first things first means that you start at the back and not the front. We have had a woeful defence for most of the last 14 years, and the wheels came off completely against Wexford at Croke Park this summer. Until we get things right there, we are going nowhere.

I think we are capable of improving, but Fermanagh's defence has been far better than anything we could field for several seasons now. They would certainly have won the Ulster title this year if they had a reliable free-taker.

However, the preliminary round game could go either way and the winners will have an excellent chance of getting to the Ulster final in 2009. If we avoid last year's injuries, and produce at least two new defenders, we are in with a shout.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 10, 2008, 12:08:43 AM
... We have had a woeful defence for most of the last 14 years, and the wheels came off completely against Wexford at Croke Park this summer. Until we get things right there, we are going nowhere.

I disagree, I think the wheels came off everywhere else against Wexford, and your defence were left with an impossible brief. Nowhere functioned for you that day, and it's a cop-out to lay it all at the defence's door.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mourne Rover

FoSB, you might have a point if the display at Croke Park had not been exactly in line with almost every other Down performance in 2008. We managed one clean sheet in seven league games, and one in six championship matches. Most of the goals were similar to those in the Wexford game - simple high balls down the middle which we could not deal with.

I agree that the entire team must share responsibility, but for most of the season we had an outstanding midfield and a promising attack.
Whether we pulled extra players back, or went man to man, our defence never really looked up to the job. It has to be strengthened, and we are not without hope there.

If Howard, Turley and Carr keep developing, if Cole and Doyle recover fully from injury, and new faces like Duffin and Garvey take their chance, we will be heading in the right direction, even if we have a long way to go.

However, we were badly hampered at Croke Park because big Dan, for really the only time all season, was below par after the business over his on/off suspension. He will be back to his best in 2009, and I only hope Ambrose is fit to join him.

FermPundit

With only 4 weeks to go, I've thought it was time to revisit this thread.

From a Fermanagh perspective, we have had a very poor league campaign. Confidence is low and there isn't much optimism within the county for the forthcoming Ulster Championship. With promotion to Division 2 and with their U21's progressing to the All Ireland final, things are looking rather rosy in the Mourne county. Although things haven't gone well this year for Fermanagh, if we can get a few key personnel back in the next few weeks, I would be hopeful that we can give Down a decent game. We also have home advantage which has to mean something. A victory against Down and the poor league campaign will all be forgotten about. How are Down folk feeling about this game?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Dubh driocht

Cagey.
Malachy O'Rourke would be respected and you were much better organised than us in the last league game last year.Also, I have no great memories of going to Fermanagh in the championship - the worst was after lifting the National League in 83 , and our current minor manager telling supporters from the presentation box that he would see us all here in September, and 2 weeks later we were out on our holes .However FP is right that things are pretty good in Down- today was vintage - and it might take a Saturday night replay at Parc Esler , but we should get through

FermPundit

Quote from: Dubh driocht on April 18, 2009, 08:40:48 PM
Cagey.
Malachy O'Rourke would be respected and you were much better organised than us in the last league game last year.Also, I have no great memories of going to Fermanagh in the championship - the worst was after lifting the National League in 83 , and our current minor manager telling supporters from the presentation box that he would see us all here in September, and 2 weeks later we were out on our holes .However FP is right that things are pretty good in Down- today was vintage - and it might take a Saturday night replay at Parc Esler , but we should get through

That's a good point you made about Malachy O'Rourke. Tactically, Malachy is one of the best managers around. He'll set up this Fermanagh team to be highly defensive. I know we'll be criticised for it, but when you're struggling for decent forwards there aren't many alternatives. O'Rourke has mentioned in the local press that one or two new faces might be brought into the squad in the next weeks. Hopefully we'll unearth a gem of a forward, but it's very unlikely.

Trevor Hill

4 weeks until the big day and we have an AIF to look forward to in the mean time. Anyone like to take a stab at Downs starting 15.

DownFanatic

Quote from: Trevor Hill on April 18, 2009, 11:16:20 PM
4 weeks until the big day and we have an AIF to look forward to in the mean time. Anyone like to take a stab at Downs starting 15.

My choice of a starting XV at the moment:

B.McVeigh

C.McGovern
P.Turley
L.Howard

A.Carr
K.McKernan
P.Murphy

P.Fitzpatrick
D.Gordon

D.Hughes
S.Kearney
A.Rogers

P.McComiskey
B.Coulter
R.Murtagh

Mid Down Gael

My team at moment would be:

1 B McVeigh
2 L Howard
3 C Garvey
4 D Rafferty
5 A Carr
6 D Rooney
7 P Murphy
8 P Fitzpatrick
9 D Gordon
10 A Rodgers
11 K McKernan
12 D Hughes
13 P McComiskey
14 B Coulter
15 R Murtagh

Oakleafer93

My money's on Down, think Fermanagh went through a purple patch last year like they did in 2004, it'll be 2012 again when they come up trumps!  :-* Na all joking aside, think Down might actually win that side of the draw outright and find themselves in an Ulster Final, Fermanaghs form of late has been relatively poor with their league campaign and their less than impressive exit to last years championship. I think they peaked last year with promotion and an Ulster Final.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: DownFanatic on April 19, 2009, 02:21:09 AM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on April 18, 2009, 11:16:20 PM

My choice of a starting XV at the moment:

B.McVeigh

C.McGovern
P.Turley
L.Howard

A.Carr
K.McKernan
P.Murphy

P.Fitzpatrick
D.Gordon

D.Hughes
S.Kearney
A.Rogers

P.McComiskey
B.Coulter
R.Murtagh

any word on how hes doing?
The Boys in Red and Black are back

FermGael

Well we should have McCluskey back which will help.
The new rules not being introduced will help us.  Should mean that McGrath will now play a full 70 minutes.
Daryl Keenan has a good addition this year and we may see Tom Brewster returning to the panel soon which will help.
Shane O'Brien has played well this year as well and can hit a free.  But a fully fit Ciaran O'Reilly would really help in that department.
Rory Foy has been another option to be unearthed in defence and the possibility of playing McCluskey at CHF may be explored

Confidence in Down will be high after winning promorion and the current success of their U-21's.
Gordon has not played much for Down this year, so to get promoted without a key man like him playing says alot for them.
Still would not be convinced about the down defence and in particular there full back line.
I cannot believe i am typing this but McBarron could make a nuisance of himself at Full forward.  If Owens was only fit for a substitute
appearance, then he could do damage at Full forward in the last 20.

From the talk of some of the Down folk here, they would not think and Ross and DJ are the dream ticket.
But with Paddy Tally training this team, they will be flying come mid May

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

McCluskey returns to Fermanagh fold

Fermanagh's Ulster SFC hopes have been given a massive lift with the return of star defender Ryan McCluskey to the fold.

The Enniskillen Gaels clubman missed the ill-fated league campaign due to his commitments with Irish League First Division outfit Portadown, but is now back training with Fermanagh one night a week as the soccer season nears it climax, and will be devoting all his time to GAA when the season ends next month.

In a further boost for manager Malachy O'Rourke, former All-Star full back Barry Owens has resumed light training, but may not be ready for the Ulster SFC opener against Down in three weeks' time.
Owens suffered a cruciate ligament injury in last year's Ulster SFC final replay defeat to Armagh and Fermanagh captain Martin McGrath explained: "Barry is doing a bit there now, just working his way back.

"Hopefully, come the championship, he will be there or thereabouts. It is taking time but he'll be a good addition when he's back.

"Ryan is back with us now. He is just finishing off with the soccer at the minute. They (Portadown) are at the top of the table, chasing promotion. He is back working with us, though. It is a new face back in training and that freshens things up as well."

Great news to see Clucker back in the Fermanagh squad. His experience will be a reall bonus against Down. By the looks of the above article it doesn't look like Barry Owens will be fit for the Championship but he does appear to be on the right road to recovery. There's a full round of club fixtures tomorrow night. Hopefully we don't pick up any more injuries.

Caid

Good to see Clucker back.  But Owens, Womble and McCabe are looking unlikely to be back.

You're right FP.  We need to ensure Clucker and Mcgrath are fit for the Down match if we are to have any chance.

After all the rotating in the McKenna Cup and League we have no more of a view of what the team is likely to be.  Aside from one or two of Daryl K, O'Brien and Carson starting it's probably going to be a similar team to last year's championship (minus the aforementioned players)

It doesn't really have the makings of a classic this one....
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

ONeill

For the love of God, don't be putting Fermanagh on the TV again this year. I'd rather watch re-runs of the Antiques Roadshow outtakes.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.