The Role of the GAA in Irish Life

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 02, 2008, 02:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small white mayoman

Quote from: T Fearon on September 04, 2008, 01:57:30 PM
Surely putting your hand in your pocket in the pub in your new area is the best way of integrating with the locals?

i'd sat the only time you put your hand in your pocket it to look for a biro to fill in yet another competion in the belfast telegraph or the like  ;D
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

lfdown2

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 04, 2008, 01:23:22 PM
There was a poll on the radio a while back about people moving away from home to urban areas and what were the best mediums to introduce you to and integrate you to the new community.
Church was one, not sure of the other, but the GAA was by far and away the most popular. I 100% agree, I joined the local club when I moved here and have made many freinds and gotten to know many locals (people AND pubs  ;) )through my involvement with the club.

Cant wait to bring the young lad up in a few years and get him involved.

not only rural/urban moves but internationally, its the first thing i would look for when i have moved before! (whether short or long term!)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: lfdown2 on September 04, 2008, 02:12:58 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on September 04, 2008, 01:23:22 PM
There was a poll on the radio a while back about people moving away from home to urban areas and what were the best mediums to introduce you to and integrate you to the new community.
Church was one, not sure of the other, but the GAA was by far and away the most popular. I 100% agree, I joined the local club when I moved here and have made many freinds and gotten to know many locals (people AND pubs  ;) )through my involvement with the club.

Cant wait to bring the young lad up in a few years and get him involved.
not only rural/urban moves but internationally, its the first thing i would look for when i have moved before! (whether short or long term!)
its what I encourage all young lads going over to america or australia to do - join a GAA club - even if you havent played in years (or at all) - you will
be accepted in as long as you train with them and you meet people ad have the craic from there - plus get to play a bit of football/hurling and keep somewhat fit.
The kid brother who only played when he felt like it when growing up has now played in australia and cayman islands - and has had more craic than he otherwise would have.

The GAA was, is and should be the centre piece of the community. While neighbours in housing estates are afraid to communicate more and more, the participation of their kids or themselves in a local GAA club gets their social interaction up and running.
Gaelic games gives otherwise listless and activity-less kids something to do etc - as well as teaching them team work, communication, work ethic etc , the abillity to win and lose and the facing up to the feelings surrounding both aspects.

Ireland is and will be identified more and more through our gaelic games. Its up to the administration to ensure that cheating, money squabbles and all other new anomalies are dealt with and procedurised.

For me, Gaelic games is life. Family life alongside this. Work is a necessary evil in order to earn a few quid. Then again I'm prob just a fanatic.

thejuice

yeah, joining the GAA club was the first thing I did when I moved to Warwickshire. I just realised how important it is and how lucky we are to have it. A Chinese lad moved into our place recently and he doesnt go any where locally. He doesnt have that local scene to fit in to. You almost take the GAA for granted but then you think of others who dont have a similar social outlet.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

T Fearon

Well if you were Chinese you would hardly be stuck for a restaurant to visit and find a few of your compatriots