Cork V Kilkenny

Started by Reillers, August 01, 2008, 12:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

As far as I remember Martin Comerford took the Rock for 1-4 in an all ireland final a year or two back when the Rock was playing well. It could all be a ruse but if its not it is a big gamble.

The Wedger

I wouldn't rule out O'Sullivan lifting his game and performing well again Kilkenny.
He has had his warning already I'm sure!

orangeman

Father time is calling him - no shame - he was a great servant to Cork - maybe he has stayed on too long ?

Maybe he can lift his game for Kilkenny ?

Time will tell !  ;)

Lecale2

I'm surprise O'Sullivan is named at no 3. He has been found out in the last 2 games. Do the Cork Selectors think that Cody & co have not seen the videos?

If he's named I think he will play (rightly or wrongly). McCarthy couldn't humiliate an all time Cork hero by naming him in the team and then dropping him before the game. Or could he?

Cork could have run this very close, and maybe even won, it but I have no confidence in their selection and I'm afraid the Cats will tank them.

Reillers

I'm pretty happy with the selection. Sully I think will come up big for us on the day, MOTM preformance I'd say. That's not a wild hope, it's sense. Sully is a very, VERY proud lad. He will not want to go out like that, the way he's been going. He'll have a blinder on Sunday..if he doesn't, the management have shown they're ruthless enough to change things if they need to. This team could well beat the Cats.

EddieMerx

I'm a very proud man but still doesn't mean I could put the schackles on the Kilkenny attack. The legs have gone for Sully and no matter how much he tries that will only get him so far, with the right ball into the forward line then the Cats more than likely will take him for a few goals

The Wedger

McCarthy will whip him off after 20 minutes if he is getting the runaround!

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on August 07, 2008, 01:22:03 AM
I'm pretty happy with the selection. Sully I think will come up big for us on the day, MOTM preformance I'd say. That's not a wild hope, it's sense. Sully is a very, VERY proud lad. He will not want to go out like that, the way he's been going. He'll have a blinder on Sunday..if he doesn't, the management have shown they're ruthless enough to change things if they need to. This team could well beat the Cats.

I'm a very proud lad as well but I don't think I could handle Martin Comerford or Henry Shefflin  and I think Fast Eddie would be just a wee bit too fast for me !  ;) ;) :D

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on August 07, 2008, 10:51:32 AM
Quote from: Reillers on August 07, 2008, 01:22:03 AM

I'm a very proud lad as well but I don't think I could handle Martin Comerford or Henry Shefflin  and I think Fast Eddie would be just a wee bit too fast for me !  ;) ;) :D

You're not Sully though are you. He's a big game left in him, he's too proud to go down with a whimper. If he doesn't do it though they'll take him off quickly.

EddieMerx

But Sully isn't exactly the Sully of old, he is more like a junior B full back now - no pace and trying to take forwards out to stop them scoring! Problem is though by the time they realise the mistake Comerford could have a goal or two to his name

Reillers

He's played 2 bad games this season. The selectors and Gerald Mac, who know what they're doing have picked him to play. That's good enough for me.
If it goes wrong then he'll be off fast.

AZOffaly

I've no doubt that Sully will lift himself, and turn in the best performance he is capable of. As Reillers says, he will not go quietly into the night. However, the burning question is whether Diarmuid O'Sullivan's best, at the moment, will be good enough. I suspect it won't, and I'm standing by my guess/prediction that if he stays on the field for longer than 30 minutes, Kilkenny will build up a decent lead, and will go on to win.

slow corner back

Corks best chance is to hit the cats early and have a lead built up by half time. KK are a long time without a match and may take 20 mins to reach top pace. Offally and wexford stayed with them for 35 minutes so if Cork can go in 5 points up say they will have a real chance of taking them. However KK have the ability to kill any team in a 10 min spell such is the power of the forward line. Goals win games and KK have the biggest goal threat around.

EddieMerx

Quote from: Reillers on August 07, 2008, 03:10:20 PM
He's played 2 bad games this season. The selectors and Gerald Mac, who know what they're doing have picked him to play. That's good enough for me.
If it goes wrong then he'll be off fast.

Against the Cats you don't have the luxury of making mistakes, if they leave him on for 30 minutes or so against the likes of Comerford, King Henry, Fast Eddie etc then it could be very costly

Bacon

Kilkenny will destroy the once great Cork team. It will be a massacre. I go for The Cats by at least 12 pts.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009