What Does Your Name Mean/That's not my name!

Started by GrandMasterFlash, July 24, 2008, 11:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I thought your name came from the saying that I've heard fairly frequently up around home, especially after a lad having a big feed (of porter or of spuds).

'Jaysus, I'm as full as a bingo bus'.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2008, 04:18:52 PM
I thought your name came from the saying that I've heard fairly frequently up around home, especially after a lad having a big feed (of porter or of spuds).

Never heard that one Az the one used down west is " jaysus, i'm as full as a tick, horse on another pint there "

p.s apologies to Rossfan ;) :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

A Quinn Martin Production

An homage to 1970's American TV detective shows...I'm called neither Quinn nor Martin
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

feetofflames

That dosent sound right is it:
an homage
a homage
or even
an 'omage
Chief Wiggum

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

tierworker blue

Tierworker (theres disagreement on the spelling...everyone spells it as i do but it's officially Teevurcher on the map...) is a wee place near bailieborough in cavan thats half in cavan and half in meath...an odd auld place to be honest, but ojus craic and full of brilliant characters. in the cavan part theres a shop, a post office and some fuel pumps (that used to be full of smuggled 'blue' diesel back in the day!) and in meath there's a pub (the 'royal breffni'...geddit?!) a church, a hall, a pitch and putt course and half a tennis court! technically my house is in meath but i was brought up 'blue' (thats in cavan supporter terms, not that i was unhappy as a child!)...hence tierworker blue!

JohnDenver

As Lloyd and Harry once agreed, Im just full of shit!

Puckoon

Spike Milligans legendary Puckoon. My dad gave me a worn copy about 15 years ago and I thought it was the funniest/silliest thing Id ever read. Never fails to bring a smile.

time ticking away

As the late great M O Hehir useta say, "the sides are level with time ticking away.
Of course he only said that if the sides were level

Quote from: JohnDenver on July 24, 2008, 05:11:44 PM
As Lloyd and Harry once agreed, Im just full of shit!
classic line
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Lar Naparka

Quote from: feetofflames on July 24, 2008, 04:52:39 PM
That dosent sound right is it:
an homage
a homage
or even
an 'omage
Back in my chalk pushing days, I had to deal with stuff like this.
IMO, there are no set rules, generally accepted practices okay; but nothing is set in stone.
In deciding whether to use ‘a’ or ‘an,’ the rule of thumb is to first decide whether the ‘h’ at the start of the following word is silent or not.
So you’d say ‘a human being’ but ‘an hour’s time.’
The craic starts when you get some words that can be a bit iffy, such as ‘hotel.’
If you go by the so-called convention it should be proceeded by an ‘a’ but in practice we usually make the ‘h’ in hotel silent when it is not placed at the beginning of a sentence. Therefore you generally use ‘an hotel.’

So; I’d be inclined to go with the last one in fof’s list.
[Does it really matter? No; I thought not. ;)]
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

fred the red

when i was on a school trip to old trafford, i got to get a photo taken with Fred the Red which hangs up in my bedroom. My old school mates still call me it the odd time!

INDIANA

self explanatory, I really am Harrison Ford.

Rossfan

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 24, 2008, 04:23:08 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2008, 04:18:52 PM

Never heard that one Az the one used down west is " jaysus, i'm as full as a tick, horse on another pint there "

p.s apologies to Rossfan ;) :D

Shtick on one for me too  as long as Deel is payin'. :P

Of course my name  signifies cool breezy sensible comments among all the hot air on this board. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Frank Casey

A little GAA club in South-West Kerry. Micko country.
KERRY 3:7

miss mess

mines is usually referred to after a night on the drink. losing my bag, coat, mobile, shoe, you name it. miss mess  ;D