Joe Canning

Started by sligeach, July 20, 2008, 07:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the milkman

Quote from: Red Sea on July 23, 2008, 04:41:38 PM
Overrated..overhyped..overweight!! Still to be tested on a real full-back.. sully is gone a few years! Priceless seeing Loughnane swallow his 2 year promise of All- Ireland... It's harder than that Ger especially when you have 1 player!!!

What a tool.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: the milkman on July 25, 2008, 12:07:02 PM
Quote from: Red Sea on July 23, 2008, 04:41:38 PM
Overrated..overhyped..overweight!! Still to be tested on a real full-back.. sully is gone a few years! Priceless seeing Loughnane swallow his 2 year promise of All- Ireland... It's harder than that Ger especially when you have 1 player!!!

What a tool.

Ye milkman and there seems to be a lot of them around these days
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

corn02

Question for the Galway lads,
Wat is Canning like on the club scene?

EddieMerx

I'm not from Galway (shouldn't be sticking my nose in probably :-X) but from all reports he is sensational and he also played in two recent All-ireland club finals with Portuma and from what I recall he scored highly in both... did he win Man of the match against Newtownshandrum in his first one????????? ??? I think he did

lynchbhoy

a lot of hurling traditionalists dont seem to want to acknowledge Canning.

have been told by fellas /former intercounty players  that they feel that canning is too fat/slow/selfish for top level intercounty hurling and he is way over rated.
This was at easter time, and I would like to see what they think of his first years performances in a Galway senior jersey now - as imo for a debutante he was fairly bloody impressive!

AZOffaly

God Lynchbhoy, you're talking to some hard to please feckers :D, although to be fair you did say this was at Easter, so it still had to be seen how he would adapt to the pace of inter county championship. Unfortunately he only got one real chance at it, but he didn't do badly at all !!

He is not the quickets over the ground, but he's not slow by any means, and his physicality means it is hard for even quicker defenders to get out in front of him.

Any hurling people I know are mad about the young lad. Hopefully he becomes the player we all hope he can be. To be honest, if he stays at the level he is now for the next 10 years, he'll still be one of the all time greats.

Galforever

QuoteWat is Canning like on the club scene?

Absolutely class. Probably scores an average of 1-10 / 1-11 something like that in every game. Did you see the all-ireland club final last March? Sensational!

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: corn02 on July 25, 2008, 01:07:32 PM
Question for the Galway lads,
Wat is Canning like on the club scene?
He's superb to be honest.  He puts an extra thousand on the gate for club championship games down here as people just want to see him in action and to be fair he rarely if ever disappoints.   The best hurler in Galway since the mighty Joe Cooney and even now he would be a good bit better than Cooney was at 19/20.  He has massive potential but Galway need to build a team around him that will give him the platform to be hurling in Croke Park in Aug & Sept most years for that potential to be fully realised.  His talents deserve that stage.   

GY Joe

Your next chance to see him live in an inter-county jersey.

He will add 2000 to the Galway crowd, and a fair few hundred to the knowledgeable KK crowd.. Just to see him play. Not too many 19 yr olds can lay claim to that...

GY Joe

Upcoming games in the Bord Gáis GAA Under 21 Hurling Championship are:

July 30, 7.30 Cusack Park, Ennis, Munster Final, Clare V Tipperary
July 30, 7.30 Keady, Ulster Championship, Armagh V Antrim
July 30, 7.30 Ballycran, Ulster Championship, Down V Derry
August 6, 7.30 Ballycran, Ulster Championship, Down V Armagh

August 23
All-Ireland Semi Finals:
Galway V Kilkenny
Clare/Tipperary V Ulster Champions

September 13/14
All-Ireland Final

youngfella

All this talk about canning has taken the pressure of king henrys amazing comback
Pull hard and early

hurl4ever

whats the story with canning and the u21s, he is playing for the tipperary club in new york at the minute, whens he home or whats the situation?? id say the u21 management wouldnt be too happy about this when they have an all ireland semi against kilkenny coming up, but then again it is joe canning we are talking about.

youngfella

Joe hasnt had a mention in a while. Will he get an all star? Young player of the year award?
Pull hard and early

Kerry Mike

Joe was out in NY last week playing for Tipperary !!!

He will get Young player of the year there is little doubt, but it will depend how the All Ireland Semis and final go to see if he will still be in the running for an All Star.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

youngfella

Why was he play for tipp? What was he doing in NY?

I hope he doesnt get an all star, it'll movitate him to improve his already amazing game
Pull hard and early