New Meath Manager

Started by Hardy, July 20, 2008, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If Barry came along now and had never mangaged the county before he would be the ideal candidate. Unfortunately, he trampled on too many toes the last time.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Jinxy on October 15, 2008, 12:01:44 PM
If Barry came along now and had never mangaged the county before he would be the ideal candidate. Unfortunately, he trampled on too many toes the last time.
He got a good few kick in the shins himself!! He was perfect for Meath in a way... he was the big baddie who wasn't afraid to go up against Boylan and once he was in it was open season for any of Boylan's past players/selectors to go after the job!

Jinxy

Yeah, but he did stupid stuff as well knowing full well what would happen, i.e. the whole Dessie Rogers thing.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Louth Exile

He was a very good club manager, he wasn't there long enough that anyone could truely tell if he had the ability for inter county.
He certainly doesn't know how to play the game at CB level though!!

agorm

#169
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 15, 2008, 10:00:34 AM
would agree agorm about barney allen.

however I laughed out loud with your comments regarding Davy !
You must hate the Mahoneys or have bought a bad bit of furniture from the nelsons ! :D


Lynchbhoy,
I have nothing at all against O' Mahonys - quite happy to see them win at the weekend as they deserve the win being the best side in the county by a distance at this stage. Didnt know that the Nelsons sold furniture.

I wont say too much but in my opinion Davy let himself down the way he quit Trim last year. I am not sure you know this but Trim lost a league match quite badly against Walterstown the week before the 1st round of the championship last year . Nelson was in his second year in charge of Trim and he may have been unhappy with the committment of the lads. Anyway, as far as I know, as I was not in there after the game, he made a couple of announcements regarding tea & sandwiches etc and then said I'm finished and walked out.
I am not saying that nobody should be allowed to quit but a committment is a committment and he should have had it in him to at least see out the first game of the championship. He left the team and the club in general high and dry and the team rallied and put in a great performance against St Pat the following week. Inmy opinion he totally overreacted to the league defeat and it semed as if it was an instant decision.  Remember he was being paid for his services and I think he could have given a few weeks notice or at least stayed until after the championship game. In fairness to him I dont think he charged for his last few weeks and I am sure he is a very honourable man but, in the context of this discussion, I would have to say that someone that can quit that quickly should not be considered for the top job in the county.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: agorm on October 15, 2008, 10:24:56 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 15, 2008, 10:00:34 AM
would agree agorm about barney allen.

however I laughed out loud with your comments regarding Davy !
You must hate the Mahoneys or have bought a bad bit of furniture from the nelsons ! :D


Lynchbhoy,
I have nothing at all against O' Mahonys - quite happy to see them win at the weekend as they deserve the win being the best side in the county by a distance at this stage. Didnt know that the Nelsons sold furniture.

I wont say too much but in my opinion Davy let himself down the way he quit Trim last year. I am not sure you know this but Trim lost a league match quite badly against Walterstown the week before the 1st round of the championship last year . Nelson was in his second year in charge of Trim and he may have been unhappy with the committment of the lads. Anyway, as far as I know, as I was not in there after the game, he made a couple of announcements regarding tea & sandwiches etc and then said I'm finished and walked out.
I am not saying that nobody should be allowed to quit but a committment is a committment and he should have had it in him to at least see out the first game of the championship. He left the team and the club in general high and dry and the team rallied and put in a great performance against St Pat the following week. Inmy opinion he totally overreacted to the league defeat and it semed as if it was an instant decision.  Remember he was being paid for his services and I think he could have given a few weeks notice or at least stayed until after the championship game. In fairness to him I dont think he charged for his last few weeks and I am sure he is a very honourable man but, in the context of this discussion, I would have to say that someone that can quit that quickly should not be considered for the top job in the county.
jeez agorm, didnt know that. But I'd have quit Trim too ! ;)
St Michaels CBS abu

I'm only going on nelsons ability as a manager - would I still give him the meath job ...probably.
..........

Fancy Dan

Media darling Luke Dempsey has launched new book about the controversy in Meath

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51u%2B-bQAYxL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

thejuice

Rumours Rumours Rumours,

I've heard Tony Kearney has vacated the Wolfe Tones job!

Hmmmm
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

I've heard Paidí O' Sé is hovering over Navan in a helicopter with Mick O'Dwyer hanging on to the end of a rope ladder.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

meathie


Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on October 17, 2008, 03:33:30 PM
I've heard Paidí O' Sé is hovering over Navan in a helicopter with Mick O'Dwyer hanging on to the end of a rope ladder.

:D

Peter McDermott, I heard. Dramatically resigned from the egg business earlier in the week. Was seen yesterday evening walking towards Pairc Tailteann in his cap, with the ends of the trousers tucked into the socks.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Jinxy on October 15, 2008, 02:57:49 PM
Yeah, but he did stupid stuff as well knowing full well what would happen, i.e. the whole Dessie Rogers thing.

What was the story with Eamon Barry. Wasn't he almost sacked before he even played a game then gotten rid of after 1 season?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Hardy

Quote from: Hardy on October 17, 2008, 03:56:53 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on October 17, 2008, 06:49:30 PM

Peter McDermott, I heard. Dramatically resigned from the egg business earlier in the week. Was seen yesterday evening walking towards Pairc Tailteann in his cap, with the ends of the trousers tucked into the socks.

Did he ever manage the county, God knows, he did everything else! He'd set ye right

He certainly did - to an All-Ireland title in 1967. He wasn't called "manager" then, though - coach, I think and Fr. Tully was "trainer".

Louth Exile

Quote from: Hardy on October 17, 2008, 06:59:28 PM
Quote from: Hardy on October 17, 2008, 03:56:53 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on October 17, 2008, 06:49:30 PM

Peter McDermott, I heard. Dramatically resigned from the egg business earlier in the week. Was seen yesterday evening walking towards Pairc Tailteann in his cap, with the ends of the trousers tucked into the socks.

Did he ever manage the county, God knows, he did everything else! He'd set ye right

He certainly did - to an All-Ireland title in 1967. He wasn't called "manager" then, though - coach, I think and Fr. Tully was "trainer".

Go on Hardy round it off and complete my education on the man in the cap, was he ever CB chairman??

Hardy

#179
Quote from: Louth Exile on October 17, 2008, 07:32:08 PM
Go on Hardy round it off and complete my education on the man in the cap, was he ever CB chairman??

Flat-cap-wearing corner forward on the 49 and 54 AI-winning teams; refereed '53 AIF; one NFL medal; played (only) five times for Leinster; wrote a column for the Drogheda Independent in the sixties as "The Man In The Cap"; familiar figure around the county for decades in his egg van; the father of International Rules.

Peter instigated the first contacts with Australian Rules and the first ever tour was when an Aussie Rules selection came to Croke Park in October 1967 and defeated All-Ireland champions Meath in gaelic football (though they may have been allowed a clean pick up - not sure). The following week they defeated AI semi-finalists Mayo - possibly the first ever Saturday game in Croke Park. The following year, Meath toured Australia and won all five of their games of gaelic football against top Aussie Rules teams.

The only subsequent contact between the GAA and the AR people was when Kerry toured Australia in the seventies or early eighties, until McDermott was again the driving force (on the Irish side, anyway) of the International Rules series that started in 1984. But I wouldn't hold that against him.

I'm not aware of any record in county board administration. He was never co. chairman or secretary anyway, I'm pretty sure.