Feile 2008

Started by Zulu, July 04, 2008, 12:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Zulu on July 04, 2008, 04:24:29 PM
Douglas are meant to be outstanding aswell and i see Salthill-Knocknacarra put up 1-16 in their first game which is some scoring for an U14 team. Where do these clubs come from by the way....Ramor Utd., Glenn, Shercock, Kinaxley, Watty Grahams Glen (??), Ardara, Castletara, Drumgoon?

Ramor United are the Virginia GAA team Zulu
Shercock are from East Cavan on the border with Monaghan over towards the Carrickmacross/kingscourt direction.
Watty Grahams Glen are from Derry
Ardara are from Donegal

Castletara are my own club,
Senior team are called Ballyhaise
Junveniles are called Castletara the name of the parish

Drumgoon are from Cavan a club between Cootehill and Shercock

Couldnt get downt to Feile in Ballyhaise today due to work.

Kinaxley? sure thats not meant to be Kinawley(Fermanagh)

AZOffaly

Your lads took a bad beating today so Ballyhaise Man. We're playing them tomorrow, so I suppose we'll find out if Ballinteer are really that good, or if Castletara concede as much against Ferbane-Belmont.

2 games tomorrow, the Ferbane-Belmot v Ballinteer one will be the last game of the group.

Do 1 or 2 teams from each group qualify( ie. is there a quarter final?)

Zulu

1 team I'm sure AZ and yeah BM that was meant to be Kinawley, sorry. Anyway i didn't realize so many of the host counties clubs got to play, surely that will mean a lot of bad beatings for the local clubs (generally I mean, not just this year) would one club per group not be fairer?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 04, 2008, 04:40:24 PM
Your lads took a bad beating today so Ballyhaise Man. We're playing them tomorrow, so I suppose we'll find out if Ballinteer are really that good, or if Castletara concede as much against Ferbane-Belmont.

2 games tomorrow, the Ferbane-Belmot v Ballinteer one will be the last game of the group.

Do 1 or 2 teams from each group qualify( ie. is there a quarter final?)

Thats disappointing to hear,i dont know too much about the competition to be honest.
Il go down and see the games in the morning and tell you how yours and my own lads got on.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Zulu on July 04, 2008, 04:46:20 PM
1 team I'm sure AZ and yeah BM that was meant to be Kinawley, sorry. Anyway i didn't realize so many of the host counties clubs got to play, surely that will mean a lot of bad beatings for the local clubs (generally I mean, not just this year) would one club per group not be fairer?

yeh i was thinking that,Im not sure Ballyhaise/Castletara were that strong this year, 2/3 years ago our under 14's were 2nd best in the county after a very good Baileborough that always pipped them.
Theres sure to be some awful hidings given out to some of the host clubs who wouldnt be up to the standard of the visitors.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on July 04, 2008, 04:46:20 PM

That certainly happens Zulu (the bad beatings I mean). If you think about it, each visiting team (who are Feile champions of their county) is hosted by a team in the host county. That obviously means that a lot of poor to middling teams are hosting good teams from other counties. The 'Divisions' would be hoping to balance this out a bit, as the better local teams would be in Division 1, but if you look at some of the hammerings, you'll see that the team on the receiving end most of the time is the host team. It certainly happened in the hurling there recently in Laois/Offaly.

Also games 1 and 2 are usually the ones with the hockeying going on. The host team plays it's guest first. Then it plays the guest of the other 'host' team in the group. Finally the two guests play each other, and the two hosts play each other. So it's only in game 3 that two champions play each other, and two similarly ranked host teams play each other. At that point they are usually out of it anyway.

Niall Quinn

Douglas are meant to be outstanding aswell and i see Salthill-Knocknacarra put up 1-16 in their first game which is some scoring for an U14 team. Where do these clubs come from by the way....Ramor Utd., Glenn, Shercock, Kinaxley, Watty Grahams Glen (??), Ardara, Castletara, Drumgoon?

Glenn are a Down club.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Niall Quinn on July 04, 2008, 04:53:44 PM

Glenn are a Down club.

Watty Grahams Glen are a derry team i think,from Maghera i believe. I could be wrong though.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 04, 2008, 04:56:07 PM

Glenn are a Down club.

Watty Grahams Glen are a derry team i think,from Maghera i believe. I could be wrong though.

and the aforementioned Glenn are a Down team, from near Rathfriland I believe...
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Zulu

Yeah I thought they were a Derry team alright, anyone know why they are called Watty Grahams Glen or who said fellow was/is? It seems a bit pointless allowing so many teams who are patently not up to it into the compteition doesn't it? I know it isn't all about winning but it would be better all round if teams were at least likely to be competitive.

INDIANA

doesn't go on to the same extent in the hurling, div 1 in hurling is only really comprised of the best teams in each county. i think the structure of the football is farcical and isn't half as good as the hurling in that respect as the results are proving.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Niall Quinn on July 04, 2008, 05:00:52 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 04, 2008, 04:56:07 PM

Glenn are a Down club.

and the aforementioned Glenn are a Down team, from near Rathfriland I believe...
apologies NQ, i just seen one Glenn(after the watty grahams) in the original  post  :D

Zulu

Quotedoesn't go on to the same extent in the hurling, div 1 in hurling is only really comprised of the best teams in each county. i think the structure of the football is farcical and isn't half as good as the hurling in that respect as the results are proving.

Yeah i can't understand this system, strong footballing counties like Mayo, Armagh, Meath, Donegal and Laois aren't represented in Div. 1 while Cavan have 6 and Fermanagh have 2.

AZOffaly

The hurling is bad as well, unless there are a lot of good clubs in the host counties. Some of the Offaly and Laois teams got awful hammerings there recently. The following are the Offaly clubs results..

Div 1 - Birr

Birr 2-2 Kilmacud Crokes, Dublin 2-14
Birr 1-3 James Stephens 1-7
Birr 5-11 Roscrea 0-2

Div 1 - Rynaghs

St Rynagh's 1-3 Clarenbridge, Galway 2-5
St Rynaghs 0-2 Patrickswell 2-11

Div 1 - Kilcormac/Killoughey

Kilcormac /Killoughey 1-5 Patrickswell, Limerick 4-7
Kilcormac /Killoughey 0-2 Clarenbridge 0-5

Div 2 - Tullamore

Tullamore 1-2 Bray Emmets, Wicklow 2-9
Tullamore 2-1 Celbridge 6-7

Div 2 - Ferbane/Belmont

Ferbane / Belmont 2-6 Celbridge, Kildare 2-6
Ferbane / Belmont 0-5 Bray Emmets 1-7

Div 2 - Coolderry

Coolderry 2-5 Trim, Meath 2-2
Coolderry 1-3 Lucan Sarsfield 3-6

Div 2 - Shinrone

Shinrone 0-1 Lucan Sarsfields, Dublin 3-6
Shinrone 1-2 Trim 3-3

Div 3 - Seir Kieran

Seir Kieran 0-3 Dunloy, Antrim 4-3
Seir Kieran 2-2 Navan O'Mahony's 2-1

Div 3 - Kinnitty

Kinnity 1-9 Navan O'Mahony's, Meath 1-7
Kinnity 1-5 Dunloy 0-3
Kinnitty 2-9 Naomh Eamann 2-6
Kinnitty (Offaly) 1-3 Harps Gaels (Laois) 5-6

Div 3 - Shamrocks

Shamrock's 1-3 Ballinteer St John's, Dublin 2-7
Shamrock's 1-0 St Mullin's 5-3
Tinnahinch 9-8 Shamrock's 0-0

Div 4 - CRC Gaels

CRC Gaels 2-3 Ballinascreen, Derry 2-3 (lost to them on shootout)
CRC Gaels 2-2 Padraig Pearses 2-0

Div 4 - Drumcullen

Drumcullen 0-1 Padraig Pearses, Roscommon 5-14
Drumcullen 0-0 Ballinascreen 4-11

Div 4 - Clara

Clara 0-3 Clane, Kildare 3-7
Clara 0-1 Keady 8-10

Div 4 - Na Fianna

Na Fianna 2-0 Keady, Armagh 5-8
Na Fianna 0-1 Clane 7-5

Div 5 - Brosna Gaels

Brosna Gaels 0-2 Setanta, Donegal 2-8
Brosna Gaels 0-1 Belmullet 0-1
Brosna Gaels 1-5 St Oliver Plunkett's 2-6

Div 6 - Edenderry

Edenderry 1-0 London 3-6
Edenderry 0-2 Warwickshire 0-3

Div 6 - Ballinamere/Durrow

Ballinamere/Durrow 5-6 Warwickshire 0-3
Ballinamere/Durrow 1-4 London 1-0
Ballinamere/Durrow 1-3 St Paul's 3-5

magpie seanie

Played in it two years myself in Galway, hosted by Clonbur and Killererin and we actually won our divsion - imagine a Sligo team winning in Pearse Stadium (even if it was the back pitch!).

Its a great tournament and long may it continue. Sligo have two reps this year - Tourlestrane who won our Feile competition with a massive upset win in the final and St. Farnan's who have been invited. They recently won the U-14 "b" championship here in Sligo. Best of luck to all.