The end for Provisional Licence Holders

Started by From the Bunker, July 01, 2008, 01:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Well today is D-day and all you provisional driving licence holders will have to cycle or take a Taxi to work. The days of Freedom are over. €1,000 fine for anyone caught on their own. Have fun hanging around for a Full Licence holder to acompany you when going to town or even to practice for your test. And if you are a person with no family members or friends with a licence then it's gonna cost you a bomb on driving lessons as this will be your only way to drive your car. Rumour has it that testers will be getting stricter, so don't think this will be for a short while. And by the way have a nice day  :P

The Real Laoislad

Good enough for all of them,They've had 6 months to get things sorted,Hopefully it will stop some of the madness on the roads
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Zapatista

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 01, 2008, 01:37:23 PM
Good enough for all of them,They've had 6 months to get things sorted,Hopefully it will stop some of the madness on the roads

Most waiting list for the test are longer than 6 months.

Tony Baloney

Imagine actually having to pass a test which deems you competent before taking a vehicle on the road! Oh the humanity...

How are people supposed to drive home drunk from the pub if this is introduced?!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Zapatista on July 01, 2008, 01:40:04 PM

I may be wrong but i would reckon 80% of them are driving around on 2nd or even 3rd Provisonal License's because either a) they have already failed the test a few times or b) they were not arsed applying for a test and have happily drove around for the past number of years with only a provisonal licence,and now they are all complaining that they only had 6 months and it takes longer than that to get a test,Some have had years to get a full licence i would reckon
I repeat it's good enough for them,and hopefully it will make the roads a little safer
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Zapatista

Thats fair enough I suppose.

Was there any extra public transport made available for today? There must have been quite an increase for demand.

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 01, 2008, 01:45:41 PM

I may be wrong but i would reckon 80% of them are driving around on 2nd or even 3rd Provisonal License's because either a) they have already failed the test a few times or b) they were not arsed applying for a test and have happily drove around for the past number of years with only a provisonal licence,and now they are all complaining that they only had 6 months and it takes longer than that to get a test,Some have had years to get a full licence i would reckon
I repeat it's good enough for them,and hopefully it will make the roads a little safer

Have to agree, only problem is that test is in urban areas, where as most (serious) accidents occur on National Roads or Motorways where nobody is tested!

Zapatista

If I remember correctly there was a report out not so long ago saying licenced drivers are as likely to be in an accident as unlicensed. I think it's good as it puts pressure on alot of people to use public transport and eases traffic problems making it safer on the roads too.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zapatista on July 01, 2008, 02:01:21 PM
If I remember correctly there was a report out not so long ago saying licenced drivers are as likely to be in an accident as unlicensed. I think it's good as it puts pressure on alot of people to use public transport and eases traffic problems making it safer on the roads too.

What do you do if you live in the country and there is no public transport, Townie?

stevo-08

While i agree that most of them should have had it sorted long before now, and I dont have much sympathy for those who find themselves without a means of transport as a result, I dont think they're to blame for the madness on the roads. And I would also doubt that the roads will be much safer since this change. In fact, if the authorities are going to waste spend their time cathching provisional drivers driving on their own instead of tackling the real problems, things might get worse instead of better.

From the Bunker

Quote from: stevo-08 on July 01, 2008, 02:04:43 PM

While i agree that most of them should have had it sorted long before now, and I dont have much sympathy for those who find themselves without a means of transport as a result, I dont think they're to blame for the madness on the roads. And I would also doubt that the roads will be much safer since this change. In fact, if the authorities are going to waste spend their time cathching provisional drivers driving on their own instead of tackling the real problems, things might get worse instead of better.

But the law is the Law and this has to be enforced otherwise it will be like old school!

Zapatista

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 01, 2008, 02:04:30 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on July 01, 2008, 02:01:21 PM

What do you do if you live in the country and there is no public transport, Townie?

You don't need a test for a tractor licence ;D ;D

You're right though I didn't consider that. Was there any additional public transport put on for the bringing in of this law?

stevo-08

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 01, 2008, 02:07:43 PM

But the law is the Law and this has to be enforced otherwise it will be like old school!

I realise that. It is a good initiative but Im just making the point that it will do little to stop the madness/carnage on the roads.

The Gs Man

Can't get my head round this topic at all.  So what your saying is Provisional Licence holders will no longer be able to drive unaccompanied from today.  Surely this was always the case?
Keep 'er lit

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: stevo-08 on July 01, 2008, 02:04:43 PM

I would agree the provsional licence drivers are not all to blame for the madness/carange on our roads,but they do have a part in it,and this will be eliminated now that there will be thousands unable to drive until they get their full licence,I think it will make the roads safer
You'll Never Walk Alone.