Watching GAA in Sydney

Started by plain man, June 24, 2008, 01:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain man

Sydneysiders - Does anyone know anywhere half decent in the city to watch the GAA, particularly the Armagh v Down match Sunday night/Monday morning.

Sydney is pretty crap to get somewhere where you can watch the match, and hear the sound, and get a decent 'schooner'...

Scruffy's is a hole, but maybe my only option and then there is Paddy Maguires, its not much better - and I'm not sure if they show the games.
Do any of the decent Irish Bars or the Gaelic Club stay open late and show matches?

Any help greatly appreciated   ;D

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

The Real Laoislad

Cheers Sportsbar on George Street is where i use to watch all the Gaelic matches when i was down under
http://www.sydneypubguide.net/pubs/Cheers.aspx

Also on King St there was a place called St.Patricks Tavern and i think they had GAA matches too
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stephenite

PJ O'Briens is the best spot but it closes early-ish on a Sunday night, think around 1am so if the game is the later one the best bet in the city centre is either Scruffys or Paddy Maguires, both of which aren't great. Cheers is not a bad spot but they often will show other games (mainly soccer) on the main screens and the GAA will be on mute on one of the other smaller screens. If you have Foxtel cable TV in the house you can get Setanta on that for an extra $15 a month and that's the best option (for me anyway) however if you're only passing through for a few months I'd say Paddy Maguires is the best of a bad bunch

RedandGreenSniper

Durty Nellys in Paddington has a great atmosphere for a game and usually has the commentary as well. But like PJ O'Briens you'll only get the early game there.
Scruffy's and Paddy Maguires are the only ones I know of that show the late game as well.
Setanta is dirt cheap though so like Stephenite says that'd be your best option if you can get it. They always tend to show both games, the 2pm throw in and the 4pm throw in. A game on the Saturday might not be live but they'll have full deferred coverage the following day
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

PJ's is a fantastic spot to watch some of the early Saturday evening qualifiers later in the winter - think it was 2 years ago there was a double header in Croker first game at 2pm Saturday and the place was mobbed - great atmosphere

plain man

Cheers lads,

Durty Nellys or PJ O'Briens would be my preference - but with the match starting at 1am, there's no chance for the Armagh match but the Westmeath v Dublin match might be on.

I'll probably try Paddy Maguires for the first half at least, then Scruffy's if needed...
Don't have foxtel and my broadband is shite

marty88

What about watching gaa in San francisco, it is the norm to have to pay $20 into the bar to watch it?

Wheres the best place ti go?
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

Smokin Joe

Quote from: marty88 on June 25, 2008, 08:08:17 AM
What about watching gaa in San francisco, it is the norm to have to pay $20 into the bar to watch it?

Wheres the best place ti go?

That seems to be the case in North America.  I watched a few games in Toronto a couple of years ago and they were charging $20 per head.

mick999

Paddy's downstairs is a good place to watch the games or the Gaelic club ..

Haven't went there since I got Setanta on Foxtel at home, but the Gaelic club used to show all the late games live on the big screen ..

The last time I went there, you still had to pay $10 on admission directly to the setanta rep ... but that was before the games were "free" on foxtel ..

Give them a call on (02) 9211 1687. There seems to be a problem with their website at the moment http://www.thegaelic.com/home/

wrecked_em

you could try the PBH either, the Pyrmont Bridge Hotel.
Will most likely be empty but I watched this years Champions league games and some national league there and the volume full tilt and no shortage of screens to watch it on.
As i said there won't be much atmosphere but you'll definately get an unobstructed view. Its 24hr too so if Paddy Maguires isn't open late enough it could be a good bet. Was in Paddys for last weeks games and it wasn't bad

stephenite

Did PBH get the Setanta back? They had dropped it after they stopped sponsoring Michael Cusacks IIRC

stephenite

Fair enough - they dropped it for a while last year but had forgotten about the Euro's. Most city pubs would have it now if onyl for that

marty88

hey so weres everyone going to watch the tipp game this sunday in san francisco?
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer