Sligo Football - Where do we go from here?

Started by Sligoper, June 23, 2008, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are people confident In John Murphy's abilities as co. chairman?

Yes
No
Hard to say

SLIGONIAN

Why would Jordan go along with this though? I mean he was on ocean fm this morning backing up the press release. Ive no doubt what seanies say is true but why would jordan agree to the press release. I would tell them im not going along with it in no uncertain terms and that if there man enough to sack me let them tell people of sligo the truth rather than this farce. What are the county board at? Weve had enough embarrasment bestowed on us for one yr.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

stephenite

I was just thinking that - surely TJ would have had seen the press release and approved prior it to being made public, that's what normally happens

magpie seanie

I've said enough already. Believe what you like.

baoithe

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 08, 2008, 01:00:07 PM
Why would Jordan go along with this though? I mean he was on ocean fm this morning backing up the press release. Ive no doubt what seanies say is true but why would jordan agree to the press release. I would tell them im not going along with it in no uncertain terms and that if there man enough to sack me let them tell people of sligo the truth rather than this farce. What are the county board at? Weve had enough embarrasment bestowed on us for one yr.

I might be way off target here but apart from Moysider's post I haven't seen any reference to an illness to his wife. Did he mention this on Oceanfm?

It seems to me that 'The Clowns' have just rehashed the same piece of spin they used last year with Brehony - didn't he cite family reasons too? The difference this year is that people have taken it up to differently.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: baoithe on July 08, 2008, 01:38:29 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 08, 2008, 01:00:07 PM

I might be way off target here but apart from Moysider's post I haven't seen any reference to an illness to his wife. Did he mention this on Oceanfm?

It seems to me that 'The Clowns' have just rehashed the same piece of spin they used last year with Brehony - didn't he cite family reasons too? The difference this year is that people have taken it up to differently.

Not sure what your getting at baoithe but what moysider said is true and what seanie said too is true.

Teeling Gael

Baoithe

You are way of the mark regarding the illness. Moysiders original post is completely accurate and his wifes illness whilst not common knowledge has been in the public domain for awhile. He could justifably have resigned months ago.

I do not know Tommy Brehony but what I do know is that his already young family got even younger early this year and in  my mind this combined with the downturn in the business sector in which he works were the reasons he resigned as Sligo Manager. Hard to combine managing a county team with a baby and when you are under pressure at work. In my mind , there is no validation for consistent comments that Brehony got out when he seen the road ahead. He was a superb manager who resigned for family reasons. End of story.

baoithe

Absolutely no problem apologising for being way off the mark there re Jordan. It was just a thought that probably should have remained within my head.

In respect of Brehony I wasn't questioning the validity or veracity of his rationale for resigning last year. What I was suggesting was that the county board simply underpinned the press release re Jordan's resignation by using that same rationale.

From what I have heard, I'm not inclined to believe that family reasons are the whole truth behind this but that is all I will say on the subject.

In any event, I was not in any way besmirching the names or characters of either Tommy Jordan or Tommy Brehony.

stephenite

I see the Indo has linked John Maughan to the job for Sligo Manager - nothing concrete but wondered what the Sligo boys reaction would be?

while the Yeats men have also been linked with a move for former Clare, Mayo, Fermanagh and Roscommon manager John Maughan.
[\quote]

magpie seanie

Well he is from the club we tend to be recruiting from.

Obviously would have mixed views as his own record is mixed. He is certainly ruthless and would demand discipline. If true it could be good or a disaster - very hard to tell. I struggle to see why he would be interested though.

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 16, 2008, 09:03:04 AM
. I struggle to see why he would be interested though.

Think of all them interviews, photos, ............................. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stephenite

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2008, 10:47:47 AM

Or the chance to work with proper players that are interested in success and want to match his ambition :D

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stephenite on July 16, 2008, 06:29:01 AM
I see the Indo has linked John Maughan to the job for Sligo Manager - nothing concrete but wondered what the Sligo boys reaction would be?

while the Yeats men have also been linked with a move for former Clare, Mayo, Fermanagh and Roscommon manager John Maughan.
[\quote]

From his time with Ross all my mates there tell me he was a disaster. But someone who takes no shit and is ruthless would be good for us because alot of players need a good kick up the arse. Hard to know what to make of it.

2 names i heard was brendan kilcoyne sligo captain in 97 final and did very good work with st eunans in letterkenny and anthony brennan at it sligo.

No matter who gets the job and id hope they get rid of the current selectors.

Rossfan

Quote from: stephenite on July 16, 2008, 10:49:04 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2008, 10:47:47 AM

Or the chance to work with proper players that are interested in success and want to match his ambition :D

They did qualify for the TMC after all. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

A bright spot for Sligo GAA with the U-16's winning the Manning Cup last night with a one point win over Roscommon. As mentioned on sligogaa.ie our previous winners of this competition in 1994 and 1996 both were desperately unlucky to lose Connacht finals at minor two years later by a pojnt (one after a replay) so hopefully third time lucky. Well done to all involved and hopefully they can kick on and really produce at minor.

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 17, 2008, 10:27:47 AM
A bright spot for Sligo GAA with the U-16's winning the Manning Cup last night with a one point win over Roscommon. As mentioned on sligogaa.ie our previous winners of this competition in 1994 and 1996 both were desperately unlucky to lose Connacht finals at minor two years later by a pojnt (one after a replay) so hopefully third time lucky. Well done to all involved and hopefully they can kick on and really produce at minor.

Good win, fair play - underage is the key IMO so this shows good work is been done in Sligo. The trick now is to keep these lads interested - same problem every club and county have  I suppose