Started by Barney, June 23, 2008, 08:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davitt Man

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 27, 2008, 01:37:46 PM
Quote from: Davitt Man on June 27, 2008, 12:45:52 PM
Liam Hayes slating McDanger, that Hayes is a d1ck

Watch this

http://gaa.tv3.ie/video.php?video_request=176

i watched the programme last week and i thought it was disgracefull , especially the way they focussed on the 2006 Ai final , theres a played who has played for 14 years and thats all that they could show very poor imo can't imagine Rte  doing the same.  Hayes is an ass and comess across on tv as a smug git

Hayes really is a lazy journo talks pure bull

Farrandeelin

Given that Galway wanted to bury the ghosts of 1983 regarding the Dubs, we buried them for ye in 06! ;D Remember, Dublin hadn't lost to a Connacht team for 73 years previous to that I believe. You can call me stupid, but nobody explained to me why Galway are called herrin-chokers so could someone do so now please.

Reading through this thread, it seems that both of us (Mayo and Galway) were as bad as the other in the early part of the nineties. To me neither is capable of setting the world on fire this year either, although Galway have the potential to do better than Mayo if they win in my opinion.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Not sure Galway have the better potential going forward. Galway have a few marquee forwards but often they dont do the business. Mayo probably have the advantage at midfield and we have the best goalkeeper. Our backs are a work in progress and while Galways are more settled they have their weaknesses too. Overall I believe Mayo have more pace about them and should be trying to play the game as high a tempo as possible. Galway will like it more structured and deliberate.

As regards the early 90s Galway were worse than we were. They could nt even get to Croke Park to get a bad batin.

Anyway thats in the past. Anybody else sense that this championship as a whole is being blown apart. Unexpected defeats of likes of Tyrone and Derry. Real if unexpected form from likes of Fermanagh and Wexford. Kerry might run into trouble too with D O Sé injured as is Darren O Sullivan, then there s Galvin. Only thing is they have weeks, nay months. to recover/ appeal. Likes of Mayo/Galway should not be thinking of rebuilding nonsense for future years  but concentrating on this year because this year might yet be as good an opportunity as any.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: moysider on June 27, 2008, 11:04:51 PM
As regards the early 90s Galway were worse than we were. They could nt even get to Croke Park to get a bad batin.

True. Although once we got there we usually knew how to come back with the big pot. ;D

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 28, 2008, 01:01:17 AM

True. Although once we got there we usually knew how to come back with the big pot. ;D

That was the late nineties GalwaybBayBoy and I m well aware of that. Still have bad episodes about all that. Early 90 s were 1990- 1994 where we were better but F***** up big time. 3 times in Connacht alone with good players. 90 and 91 with Johnno in charge but nobody wants to be reminded of that. The forgotten years.

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: moysider on June 28, 2008, 01:37:16 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 28, 2008, 01:01:17 AM

That was the late nineties GalwaybBayBoy and I m well aware of that. Still have bad episodes about all that. Early 90 s were 1990- 1994 where we were better but F***** up big time. 3 times in Connacht alone with good players. 90 and 91 with Johnno in charge but nobody wants to be reminded of that. The forgotten years.

I'd hardly call it F*** big time. Ros had the stongest team in the province in 1990. In 1991 Roscommon were the better team in the second half against Mayo in Castlebar coming back from 4 down against a stiff breeze, even if it took a miraculous point from Derek Duggan to equalize in the end. Ros were by far the better team in the replay in Hyde. Ros squandered a great chance of an All-Ireland appearance in the semi, but Meath deserved the win in the end. I often thought that was one of their best ever comebacks even it it's the least talked about because Ros were all over them for 3/4 of the game and were still 5 up midway into the second half. Mayo it has to be said were very luck to win Connacht in 1989 and the goal from Jimmy Bourke after extra time in the replay as well as as trangressing the rules of play also transgressed the boundaries of physics, and must surely rank as the awkwardest goal ever scored in championship history. I don't think Johno can be blamed for not following the 89 All-Ireland appearance up with a Connacht final win. There wasn't much between the teams in those days. Mayo's 89 appearance was also part of the era when Connacht teams could only make an All-Ireland final when they met an Ulster team in the semi-final rotation - Galway 74, Armagh 77, Ros 80, Galway 83, Tyrone 86, Mayo 89, Donegal 92. Down of course had broken the trend in 91 in beating Kerry and then Meath in the final.

Farrandeelin

Typical a Rossie tryin to upset the status quo! ;) :P

Thankfully I was born in 1987 and don't remember much about the really bad days for Connacht in the early 90s.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ildanach

just watched that clip from tv3 there. that bit of selective editting to put that w++ker hayes point across. >:(
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

moysider

Senior throw in 2.00.

Minor at 12.00.

It s a case of havin the dinner in the mornin and havin a clean run at the day.

Galforever

QuoteYe your right there Galforever finnegan barely gets recognition for his contribution if memory serves me right he was excellent in the Ai final did he take the frees as well?

QuoteOf course, Finnegan scored that huge free in injury time in Tuam to draw the Connacht final against Ros. No good winning in Castlebar if you follow up with defeat to Ros.
Going back to that 95 team, the Connacht final in Tuam that year was one of the most one sided finals in memory. Mayo were woeful that that. Who was Mayo's manager that year? Jack O'Shea?
That match was preceeded with a great minor final that witnessed the emergence of Donnellan and Savage; although I don't recall PJ playing that day.

Yes, He took the frees. Hoe scored the equalier agaimst Ros in the drawn game in the last few seconds from a free. He also scored the equaliser in the replay taking the match to extra time. Think that might have been a 45, it was around that area anyways.

Also scored a 45 against Leitrim in 95 to win the connacht semi-final (First connacht championship match shown live If I remember correctly?)

In 1997, scored 9 points aginst Mayo in Tuam, playing at full forward. 5 frees, 4 from play.

In the 2nd half of the 98 final, he scored two brilliant points not long after Joyces goal as well. He was a class act.

QuoteI thought jack o was manager in 1993 when we lost the final to Leitrim

Was it not 94 ye lost the final to Letrim? I thought Mayo won connacht in 93 and got slaughtered by Cork?

QuoteThat's the one! that was one dreary day, Padgraig Brogan played his last game in the green and red (and lots of white for some reason) that day I think, we were absolutely shocking. The minor game was one of the best games I have ever seen though, we had Sean Roughneen from Swinford at midfield who was a great minor footballer and Karl O'Boyle at fullforward. For Galway the most impressuve player was a young Derek Reilly from Corofin, he was a class underage player, whatever happend to him?

I dont recall that day being dreary at all! It was a beautiful sunny connacht final day. Derek Reilly was given chances at league & FBD level but could never make it. He was a genuinely class underage player alright. Still, he won his club all-ireland medal in 98 so he's not empty handed.

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: Galforever on June 30, 2008, 05:27:37 PM
QuoteYe your right there Galforever finnegan barely gets recognition for his contribution if memory serves me right he was excellent in the Ai final did he take the frees as well?

QuoteOf course, Finnegan scored that huge free in injury time in Tuam to draw the Connacht final against Ros. No good winning in Castlebar if you follow up with defeat to Ros.
Going back to that 95 team, the Connacht final in Tuam that year was one of the most one sided finals in memory. Mayo were woeful that that. Who was Mayo's manager that year? Jack O'Shea?
That match was preceeded with a great minor final that witnessed the emergence of Donnellan and Savage; although I don't recall PJ playing that day.

Yes, He took the frees. Hoe scored the equalier agaimst Ros in the drawn game in the last few seconds from a free. He also scored the equaliser in the replay taking the match to extra time. Think that might have been a 45, it was around that area anyways.

Also scored a 45 against Leitrim in 95 to win the connacht semi-final (First connacht championship match shown live If I remember correctly?)

In 1997, scored 9 points aginst Mayo in Tuam, playing at full forward. 5 frees, 4 from play.

In the 2nd half of the 98 final, he scored two brilliant points not long after Joyces goal as well. He was a class act.

Was it not 94 ye lost the final to Letrim? I thought Mayo won connacht in 93 and got slaughtered by Cork?

QuoteThat's the one! that was one dreary day, Padgraig Brogan played his last game in the green and red (and lots of white for some reason) that day I think, we were absolutely shocking. The minor game was one of the best games I have ever seen though, we had Sean Roughneen from Swinford at midfield who was a great minor footballer and Karl O'Boyle at fullforward. For Galway the most impressuve player was a young Derek Reilly from Corofin, he was a class underage player, whatever happend to him?

I dont recall that day being dreary at all! It was a beautiful sunny connacht final day. Derek Reilly was given chances at league & FBD level but could never make it. He was a genuinely class underage player alright. Still, he won his club all-ireland medal in 98 so he's not empty handed.

Oh the weather was fine alright, not really what I was on about but I think you knew that! ;D

rosnarun

farrandeeln - herring chokers/Heron chokers

herrning chokers refers to lazy comamara bastards who spend all their time drinking poteen and never do a rap of work on the farm sowing or planting  but when they are hungry go down to the beach hoping showls of herring or mackeral would have washed up on the shore to give them a free dinneralong with a load of 'edible sea weeds' like carrigeen and dilisk(as well as nettles and grass)  to feed their families and let them get back to drinking and making poteen and keeping ireland long tradition of bullshit alive..
not as common as it used to be as many cunnies now receive the dole.

also called heron chokers as many people suspect they ate dead birds they found on the road and when asked how did they kill it without a gun they said they Choked it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on June 30, 2008, 11:01:40 PM
farrandeeln - herring chokers/Heron chokers

herrning chokers refers to lazy comamara b**tards who spend all their time drinking poteen and never do a rap of work on the farm sowing or planting  but when they are hungry go down to the beach hoping showls of herring or mackeral would have washed up on the shore to give them a free dinneralong with a load of 'edible sea weeds' like carrigeen and dilisk(as well as nettles and grass)  to feed their families and let them get back to drinking and making poteen and keeping ireland long tradition of bullshit alive..
not as common as it used to be as many cunnies now receive the dole.

also called heron chokers as many people suspect they ate dead birds they found on the road and when asked how did they kill it without a gun they said they Choked it

Brilliant. :) :D ;D As good explanation or explanations  as any I ve ever heard. But how is it spelled? Herrin or heron? There s two stories here and  both may well have merits. But surely you dont choke herring. Usually they re just thrown in a box and gasp for a good while. They dont even get the ceremony of a priest like the noble salmon and the respected trout. Mind you I once saw a man - who was not a Connie to my knowledge - dispatch mackerel by bending their heads to one side and breaking their unfortunate necks. Does that procedure come under the auspices of choking?  And how would anybody contemplate eating a heron anyway? Even if you were raving from the best poteen and your family were grazing? There s more flesh under a t**ker woman s nails after a row than on a bog crane. And would nt they be known as bogcrane in Connieland anyway? The term Heron is usually used by only the finest pub ornithologists.  We need all this clarified?. Iolar please! I think you ll find you mentioned the term here first this year. I notice you spell it heron? So you ll be going along with the bird version? Are you fish or fowl [or at least a bird man ] on this one?

kevmy

Not sure Galway have the better potential going forward. Galway have a few marquee forwards but often they dont do the business. Mayo probably have the advantage at midfield and we have the best goalkeeper. Our backs are a work in progress and while Galways are more settled they have their weaknesses too. Overall I believe Mayo have more pace about them and should be trying to play the game as high a tempo as possible. Galway will like it more structured and deliberate.

Anyway thats in the past. Anybody else sense that this championship as a whole is being blown apart. Unexpected defeats of likes of Tyrone and Derry. Real if unexpected form from likes of Fermanagh and Wexford. Kerry might run into trouble too with D O Sé injured as is Darren O Sullivan, then there s Galvin. Only thing is they have weeks, nay months. to recover/ appeal. Likes of Mayo/Galway should not be thinking of rebuilding nonsense for future years  but concentrating on this year because this year might yet be as good an opportunity as any.

I'd agree here Moysider. I think there is very little between Galway and ourselves both teams could do a bit if they get going. And I've been saying all year that Kerry apart it's a very open Championship. You have a lot of teams around the level of Mayo and Galway (Dublin, Cork, Tyrone, Down, Donegal, Derry, Meath) none of who are brilliant but all of who are capable of something special on a good day. I'd say we're as good as any of them and well capable of beating all of them.

Quote from: Galforever on June 30, 2008, 05:27:37 PM

Did he not kick a serious point from the endline against Sligo that day ye hammered them in 00 (I think)? It was the day they didn't get a point for the whole of the first half anyway.

IolarCoisCuain

To the best of my knowledge, "heron choker" is a corruption of "herring choker." Galway diction is notoriously poor, as we all know, and the misunderstanding is easy to understand. Herring choker, then, comes from Galway's strong fishing tradition, especially around the Claddagh area of the city itself, I believe. As Moysider rightly points out, herons don't make for good snacking, whereas a plate of herring is a treat for any sensible man, woman or child.

Why one would choke them instead of battering them on the noggin with a stout stick probably has more to do with poetic license than anything. Heron choker is pleasingly derogatory without being downright insulting, whereas heron batterers would imbue na Gaillimhí with a worrying air of menace that would add to their other threats rather than lessen them. My two cents, anyway.  :D