The Qualifiers - Round 1

Started by Maguire01, June 01, 2008, 11:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Well after today, the contenders are starting to take shape.  In no particular order:

Monaghan
Meath
Donegal
Roscommon
Longford
Kildare

Without the Division 4 teams, there are few handy games - and there's another few tough teams likely to be thrown in before we reach provincial final stage.

From a Monaghan point of view, Donegal and Meath would be the two to avoid. Roscommon would be perceived as the easiest draw at this stage i suppose, but you can never tell. Kildare didn't impress too much either. 

When will the actual draw be made? Anyone got any preferences as to who they'd like to meet.

Onlooker

There are 7 teams in the qualifiers so far.  Tipperary are there as well.  A home draw will be a serious advantage in all of the rounds of the qualifiers.

Maguire01

Ah yes, i overlooked Tipp's escape from Division 4.  Indeed, home advantage could be a huge factor - given the distances between some of the counties involved and the difficulty in getting both players and fans excited and mobilised after disappointing early exits for many of those teams.

Our Nail Loney

Some good teams in the qualifiers already there, Meath Donegal and Monaghan were all fancied enough for their provinces, going by the bets in my place anyway!

With Tyrone going in the pot next weekend as well looks like a tough backdoor  ;)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

So far would defo want to avoid Meath and Monaghan, poss Rossies as well, happier with Tipp or Longford, still can't work out Kildare. Fact is that no games an easy one anymore, and agree home advantage will be crucial for most teams!
Tbc....

Bensars

Does the draw dictate home advantage  or is there something about the weaker team getting the advantage ?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Bensars on June 02, 2008, 01:07:41 PM
Does the draw dictate home advantage  or is there something about the weaker team getting the advantage ?

Would be difficult to judge who was the weaker team in some cases.
Tbc....

thejuice

We'll take on anyone in that group. We have the potential to beat them all. But like yesterday, potential isn't a guarantee it will happen.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hound

Quote from: Bensars on June 02, 2008, 01:07:41 PM
Weaker team = home advantage no longer applies - on the basis that the weak teams are in the Tommy Murphy. So its first out gets home advantage - so long as they have a suitable ground.

First out for home advantage only applies for the first two rounds of the qualifiers. It does not apply thereafter.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: thejuice on June 02, 2008, 01:30:52 PM
We'll take on anyone in that group. We have the potential to beat them all. But like yesterday, potential isn't a guarantee it will happen.

Setting yourself up with that one!
Tbc....

screenexile

Meath would not beat Donegal or Monaghan, and would struggle with Longford!!

Rossfan

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 02, 2008, 12:52:50 PM
So far would defo want to avoid Meath and Monaghan, poss Rossies as well,

Gaoth Dobhair's opinion of our team far exceeds even the most optimistic in these parts. :-\
Setting myself up for a fall  -  I think Armagh,Cavan Down and Fermanagh to join the list from Ulster.
Limerick from Munster
Nobody from Connacht much as I'll be praying for Sligo and Leitrim.
From Leinster - Louth,Offaly Wexford and either Dublin or Westmeath.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 02, 2008, 01:42:37 PM

Im not though. If I said, "we'll take on anyone and beat them" I would be. Anyway if you read and i m sure you did about what I said about potential.......?

I just dont buy into this crap of saying i dont want this team or that team in case we get beat. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: thejuice on June 02, 2008, 03:53:00 PM

Im not though. If I said, "we'll take on anyone and beat them" I would be. Anyway if you read and i m sure you did about what I said about potential.......?

I just dont buy into this crap of saying i dont want this team or that team in case we get beat. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best.

ffs wind your neck in, I was joking, maybe I should have put a smiley at the end!
Tbc....

thejuice

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 02, 2008, 04:06:57 PM
Quote from: thejuice on June 02, 2008, 03:53:00 PM

ffs wind your neck in, I was joking, maybe I should have put a smiley at the end!

I didnt know you were joking and you thought I was angry, just goes to show.........